What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights Signings/Re-signings thread

RABK

Referee
Yeh but 70% of them really are fringe players....they deserve to be competing for spots.

I still think we should('ve) signed a couple of definite top 17 players - players that would walk into any starting 17 in the comp. Big names - you follow?

keeney

First Grade
True, we have signed 2 keep in mind. Naiqama and Cross. Plus some pretty talented young guys if reports are to be believed.

Abraham injury free, Simpson, Patterson and Reyno (pay packet) would be morals for our backrow. Add to that, Tafua who with an offseason could develop very nicely, Houston, Bailey, Young, Tolar (if need be), plus the maturation of PL/JF players...

Not all are quality, but all are on the books and one would think all would be pushing for the top grade.

Jono078

Referee
Going by what ive read on the net and estimating MacDougall and Vuna's price here is where our money's gone so far...

Cross - $390,000
Houston - $166,000
MacDougall - $180,000
Naiqama - $133,000
Vuna - $110,000
Wicks - $250,000

Total - $1,229,000

That is per year btw, I hope some of those figures are not true tbh :(

keeney

First Grade
Overestimating them both I feel, I hope Cross is on 375k at the most, as I previously stated, 300k would have been fair, 325 still within the bound of good value, anything more is a paying overs. Clinton at 275k would have been better value for money.

macavity

Referee
Jono078 said:
Going by what ive read on the net and estimating MacDougall and Vuna's price here is where our money's gone so far...

Cross - $390,000
Houston - $166,000
MacDougall - $180,000
Naiqama - $133,000
Vuna - $110,000
Wicks - $250,000

Total - $1,229,000

FFS we aren't Souths!

try Cross 280-300, Houston 140, McDoogs 160, Naiqama 133, Vuna 90 and Wicks 120....

there is no way we have paid nearly 400 for Cross, or that much for the rest (bar Wes, who we got for a steal IMO, and McDoogs who I hear has taken a cut to come here) - the rest are fringe first graders - Wicks cant regularly make the Dragons 17, why would we pay him a quarter mil :crazy: ... Houston has played 6 FG games, and Vuna what, 5?

Jono078

Referee
macavity said:
FFS we aren't Souths!

try Cross 280-300, Houston 140, McDoogs 160, Naiqama 133, Vuna 90 and Wicks 120....

there is no way we have paid nearly 400 for Cross, or that much for the rest (bar Wes, who we got for a steal IMO, and McDoogs who I hear has taken a cut to come here) - the rest are fringe first graders - Wicks cant regularly make the Dragons 17, why would we pay him a quarter mil :crazy: ... Houston has played 6 FG games, and Vuna what, 5?

As I said, i'm just going by what ive heard. Dogs were after Wicks and Cross aswell so that's why theyre prices are higher than maybe they should be.

Personally, I think weve spent about $1m total on all of them leaving us with around 500k left.

Frederick

Staff member
This was a list of all those off-contract this year. As we know, Newton, Woolnough and Tighe are all gone. I've bolded those I would re-sign
Red and Blue Knight said:
Newton
Tanner
Carmont
Perry
Woolnough
Abraham (heavily incentive based, a game by game sort of thing)
Brown (if it means we can keep his brother)
Cooper
Dureau
Gordon
Grant
Hession
Laban
McCosker
Natusch
Salkeld
Sorrensen
Steel
Thaiday
Wooden
Young

Frederick

Staff member
Oh sh*t he has too, completely forgot about that #-o. I remember us all scratching our heads when he was re-signed...but I guess now we know why he was :lol:

Yosh

Coach
Jono078 said:

Cross - $390,000
Houston - $166,000
MacDougall - $180,000
Naiqama - $133,000
Vuna - $110,000
Wicks - $250,000

Total - $1,229,000

Cross on that much is a shocker, Civo only costs 400k a year for three years as well. I would pay 10k more a year for probably the 2nd best prop in the game.

Big Tim

First Grade
Way too much for Cross. I read that most top level props were asking for 300k, if Cross got more than that we are f**ked. I would imagine Wicks would be more like 200k considering he hasnt really done much inhis young career.

I will swap Cross for Petero anyday.

Given it is net speculation it counts for bugger all. Really where do these figures come from? How exactly do we re-sign Mullo if we buy Civo? Mullo is off contract next year. That would be one for the books. A 32 year old prop at the expense of the games next great five eighth. It's like trading a young lockyer for wally lewis. Civo is great but the money he wants is a joke.

Big Tim

First Grade
Newie is God's Country said:
Given it is net speculation it counts for bugger all. Really where do these figures come from? How exactly do we re-sign Mullo if we buy Civo? Mullo is off contract next year. That would be one for the books. A 32 year old prop at the expense of the games next great five eighth. It's like trading a young lockyer for wally lewis. Civo is great but the money he wants is a joke.

My point is that if we can pay Cross 390k we could have stretched another 10k to get Petero for 2 years.

I dont believe that figure is anywhere near accurate as it was his front row partner playing rep this year not him.

roopy

Referee
so far in the halves for both grades we have Walsh, Mullen and Bailey - that's about three halves short at a minimum - we need Abraham, Karawana and Dureau if we don't sign anyone else.

Frederick

Staff member
Karawana was re-signed for another year about a week ago - was mentioned in the Newy Herald.

roopy

Referee
Frederick said:
Karawana was re-signed for another year about a week ago - was mentioned in the Newy Herald.
OK - that gives us three regulars and one part time player for the halves in both grades, and for the first time in my memory no junior halves standing out.

Latest posts