What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton to England????

macavity

Referee
1. Gordon is nothing spectacular in PL - I would much prefer Hinton there (so he is 4th choice after Kids, Thaiday & Seage) - and I think Jenkinson (JF) will be better than him by the end of the year too.

2. Aku has been cr*p lately.

only PL players deserving a call up are Sargent & Franze, Hunt would be close too, and maybe Walsh on a good day. would also be tempted to give Ling (JF) a run - the mongrel we need - but it might be a year or two early for him.

roopy

Referee
gordon has been going ok in PL and in FG till this week.

He is only 20 and has always played wing or centre. He has plenty of room to improve.

B-dos

Referee
CJG 182 said:
Not being in Newcastle I don't get to see basically any PL games. How does Gordon go in these? Is he good and just struggling with the step up to firsts? Or just an average player brought up due to injuries? And more importantly how's Aku been playing lately? Is he good enough, and just being held back?

Gordons performance on the weekend was abysmal. Granted, he played in a team that was flogged however he really did nothing special during the whole game. He had zero in defence and attack.

Uate has apparently dropped in form a little lately. Smith said in the paper that he wasnt training well, and wasnt ready for FG which is why Vuna got a call up last weekend.

CJG 182

Juniors
Thanks for that Mac, B-dos and Roops. So looks like we'll be roughing it a while if we're stuck with no backs to bring up, and the best forward prospect being still too young..

macavity

Referee
roopy said:
gordon has been going ok in PL and in FG till this week.

yup, ok = nothing spectacular

Hinton is a natural FB, Gordon is not - and I dont understand why we aren't playing Hinton at FB.

roopy

Referee
macavity said:
yup, ok = nothing spectacular

Hinton is a natural FB, Gordon is not - and I dont understand why we aren't playing Hinton at FB.
all i can think of is smith doesn't see hinton as our future - while Gordon he sees as a future player.
I've never rated Gordon really, but he has been better at fullback than i would have thought - till now of course.

macavity

Referee
Hinton is a bloody good player - and while Gordon might turn out to be better - why the hell would you not try to nurture both?

CJG 182

Juniors
And just quickly... sorry for all the Q's, but is there anyone bar Aku who we could bring up who has any form of speed?!?! In the brief highlights i saw, our backs looked closer to jogging pace at full speed.

macavity

Referee
Jacob Jenkinson is a whippet

he is also built like a slightly larger Preston Campbell.... and a few years off FG, if he makes it.

Hinton is deceptively quick, but not fast.

CJG 182

Juniors
Yeah I thought Hinton was impressive when he played firsts, how would he fair on the wing, seeing as though Gids has the #1 to himself?

Burwood

Bench
The press conference is now official:
Newton calls press conference

May 28, 2007

NEWCASTLE forward Clint Newton has called a media conference at his home this afternoon amid speculation he may seek a release from his NRL contract with the Knights.

Newton, who played his 100th first grade game in yesterday's 71-6 loss against Brisbane, is due to come off contract at the end of this year.

A Newcastle spokesman said the Knights had not been officially notified of Newton's intentions.

In an interview with FOX SPORTS after yesterday's thrashing, Newton made a point of thanking those who had supported him throughout his 100 games.

Formerly a second rower, Newton has been pushed up into the front row by new Knights coach Brian Smith this season.

He represented Country Origin from the bench in the clash with City earlier this month.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21806555-23214,00.html

AdamT

Juniors
CWBush said:
I wouldn't have any problem at all with him being shown the door. The few good games he's put in aren't worth the dozen or so mediocre ones that seem to follow them. Obviously there might be other factors as to his complete lack of motivation this year - but, to be fair, we've got backrowers coming through in spades, and if he's not determined enough to keep his spot, then maybe England would suit him down to the ground.

You so called FANS have very short memories about Newton. This time last year he was THE ONLY forward putting in and giving it his all. And then when they turned things around at about Round13 he led the charge with Joey home to add respect to the season.

He isnt THE Best player but rememebr he was being touted as a State of Origin Player of the future. Now you guys want to dump on him. Off the field he is also a credit to the club and there is not a more passionate Knight.

Maybe the club havent been too kind to him contract wise and in other areas. Anyway its typical of unfortunately the majority of Knights fans that we cop a 71-6 hiding now everyone wants to make wholesale changes to a team you were praising just a week or two ago.

Pfffffft to all you fair weather fans. What happened to sticking with our team through thick and thin like last Season and it was Newton that led that plea in Season 2006. Now in 2007 he's nothing? Shame on you lot.

Bicey_18

Bench
More money freed up.... geez we really need to be active in the player market for next season. You would think we would have a ton of cash to spend

macavity

Referee
Bicey_18 said:
More money freed up.... geez we really need to be active in the player market for next season. You would think we would have a ton of cash to spend

yeah but for this year, what is the point? he was one of our only players who actually put in every game

im a tad shattered

Burwood

Bench
He may not have been in the best form, but he was definitely one of the leaders in the club. He is going to leave a hole that will be hard to fill for the rest of this season.

Bicey_18

Bench
Yeah its a lil upsettin mate but seriously he hasnt been nething great since 05 imo...This year was never going to be a year where we would make an impression, more like a rebuilding stage. Im pretty confident we will have something to be excited for in the next few seasons and be a major force again.

Sounds like we let a player take the field for us a while after this deal had been worked out, just for the sake of getting into the 100 game club. Lame, I don't want people in the red and blue who have already walked out on us and are just turning up for the glory of it.

Latest posts