What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton to England????

roopy

Referee
This hasn't come out of the blue.
Jack Newton was in the papers about three weeks ago saying if the Knights didn't make an offer immediately he would be fielding offers from elsewhere.

macavity

Referee
Burwood said:
And to add further, it was because of tension between him and Smith. Smith made it clear that he was not wanted next year, so Newton took it on the chin and left before the situation became unworkable.

thats fcucking rediculous

Why the hell would Smith not want to keep one of our best forwards - and for that matter, even if he wasn't in the plans, why were we, as a club, unable to remain professional...

I wouldn't rule out a rift. Newton never struck me as a workaholic, just simply a toiler who did what had to be done with a bit of heart. He probably struggled under Smith's regime of working hard at training after the years of Hagan. He has heart, but just never got the work ethic into him.

EG, i know he turned up late for a pre-season weekend training camp at Port Stephens this year (along with one other first-grader) and they were both sent home. That's just plain lazy.

Pumba

First Grade
Burwood said:
Just an update- he has now officially been released and played his last game for Newcastle, but he is yet to except another deal- he is waiting 24 hours before deciding whether it will be in Australia or over in the ESL.

Source?

Burwood

Bench
I'm very worried about what this might mean for the rest of the season. Here we have a regular first grader (and great clubman) that was not wanted by the club, and he thought it was best to leave mid season rather than complete the year and continue being coached by Smith.

We have a dozen or so other players who I would have considered far more likely to walk out on the club before Newton. If Newton wasn't happy at how things panned out for him, I can only begin to imagine how all of the other guys are going to cope.

cram

Bench
Burwood said:
I'm very worried about what this might mean for the rest of the season. Here we have a regular first grader (and great clubman) that was not wanted by the club, and he thought it was best to leave mid season rather than complete the year and continue being coached by Smith.

We have a dozen or so other players who I would have considered far more likely to walk out on the club before Newton. If Newton wasn't happy at how things panned out for him, I can only begin to imagine how all of the other guys are going to cope.

Yes I must admit this worries me as well but I guess we have to put faith in Smith for the time being. The culture of the club needed to change after the Hagan era and with any change always comes casualities.

Matt23 said:
Can we get a link plz guys? (or i will have to delete)

The internet isn't the fastest source for news... especially in Newcastle.

1233 is about to start a sports report. Tune in there.

Burwood

Bench
Danish Moo Cow said:
EG, i know he turned up late for a pre-season weekend training camp at Port Stephens this year (along with one other first-grader) and they were both sent home. That's just plain lazy.

Him and MacDougall(??) rocked up late because they had an old training itinery. It was all cleared up once Smith realised they weren't at fault.

cardinal

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
It's an indictment that Hagan's first grade success stories are guys like Newton, when the youngsters Smith brought to Parramatta are already incredible prospects under Hagan.

Let the clean-out continue.

What a joke smith did'nt bring any youngsters to parra they are all local juniors, and it took Hags to come and give them a shot at the nrl, because smith would'nt. If you work on that theory than Hags can take credit for Mullane. At least Hags knew Tighe was hopeless and kept him where he belongs in the prems. Your players had a go for hags, but they are sick of smithy after 10 rounds.

cardinal said:
What a joke smith did'nt bring any youngsters to parra they are all local juniors, and it took Hags to come and give them a shot at the nrl, because smith would'nt. If you work on that theory than Hags can take credit for Mullane. At least Hags knew Tighe was hopeless and kept him where he belongs in the prems. Your players had a go for hags, but they are sick of smithy after 10 rounds.

Smith developed them, Hagan does sh*t all. He relied too heavily on old-heads and made no plans for the future. Enjoy Inu and Mateo cause Hagan will make no-one like them.

Frederick

Staff member
cardinal said:
Who the f**k's Mullane? :?

antonius

Coach
Burwood said:

Exactly right. For Newton to just up and leave I find quite hard to believe, whatever his shortcomings, one thing is certain Newton was Newcastle through and through something has upset him very much for him to be leaving like this. As you say I'm not quite sure where that would leave quite a few players that are of far worse ability than Newton in the pecking order. I think the days of Newcastle fielding teams that are mostly home bred are coming to an end, and with Johns gone it's a double edged sword, We now have the money to spend on the market, (Smith will do that) and we need to do that because Johns is no longer here to make ordinary players look like world beaters.