What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agreed. Content is king. A lot of fans will watch women's and men's games of their own club back to back. Suddenly, you turn a 2 hour viewer into a 4 hour viewer.

As to where the slots go, it will depend on the slots that the mens comp takes up in the next broadcast deal.

But I'd love to see a dedicated FTA slot where you can double up on games and target states. For instance right now, 4pm Saturday as a news lead in on FTA is up for grabs. You schedule something Broncos vs Titans in QLD and Eels vs Roosters in NSW and maximise the audience appeal.

Eventually they will get to the same number of teams as the men's comp. In the mean time, I'd like to see some byes introduced and extend the length of the season. That way they're not clashing as much with men's games but also extend the appeal. For example, going back to 4 games a round now means you could extend the comp by 2-3 weeks, making it an 11-12 week regular season.

Then eventually you'll have a 20 team comp played over 27 weeks, with each team playing 19 regular season games and 8 byes. You'd average 7 games a round, on top of the 10 men's games. Effectively 34 hours of actual game time coverage each week, in addition to all the other talking head waffle.
I like the simultaneous games idea to appeal to multiple markets which you'd have to do if both men and women's comps have 20 teams and you are playing double headers to create a 4 hour broadcast.

docbrown

Coach
So at a recent meeting, a couple of Paramount execs announced that Paramount+ will likely be folded in with another streamer. Basically, just an IP content shift. I was skeptical of their interest in sports rights any way after the A-League draw down but this makes it even more unlikely that they're going to contend for NRL rights.

So at a recent meeting, a couple of Paramount execs announced that Paramount+ will likely be folded in with another streamer. Basically, just an IP content shift. I was skeptical of their interest in sports rights any way after the A-League draw down but this makes it even more unlikely that they're going to contend for NRL rights.
That`s sounds like a disaster for us.

Iamback

Coach

Yep. It is

Stan/ch9
Fox/ch9

That will bid as it always has been

docbrown

Coach
Stan are unable to get Rugby into Pubs and clubs not sure NRL would be different.
No one at 9 really thought there'd be much interest in something that rates in the tens of thousands, so they failed to set up their venues product in time. Then there was a lack of consultation re: racing that blew it out of the water.

If 9 gets NRL, every pub will get a Stan venues package or it will be on a special channel encoded channel.

Also I'm not sure if you guys know that 9/Fairfax are looking to set up a new news channel.

docbrown

Coach
Posted this in the expansion threads but it also belong here:

If I was 9/Stan and I had full rights I'd do the following on Friday night:

5:15 Stan: NRLW game - particularly for Pubs
6:00 Channel 9: News
6:55 Channel 9 News/Stan - end the Friday news broadcast with a 5 minute preview of the Friday double headers within the news itself - no need to do it in the actual broadcast.
7:00 9/Stan: NRL Coverage start
7:01 9/Stan: NRL Game 1 (family game) kicks off
7:45 Game 1 approximate half time starts
7:55 Game 1 approximate second half starts -- there is potential to expand this by 5 minutes to increase ad revenue
8:40-ish Approximate end of game 1 (except for golden point scenario which is rare) -- then about 20 seconds after the first game ends, at the second ground all the players are already on the field and the signal is sent to the other ref--
8:40-ish 9/Stan: NRL Game 2 (later game) kicks off -- (prior to this at that ground there was a 7pm NRLW game)
9:25 Game 2 approximate half time starts - Game 2 has an extended half time to make up for reduced ad space in game 1
9:40 Game 2 approximate second half starts
10:25-ish Game 2 ends
10:30-11:00 Post game coverage of both games

Every week: Out of the 4 teams, at least 1 Queensland team, 1 Sydney team, 1 Melbourne/Perth team (Perth in later games only to air at 6:40pm start in WA) & 1 other team (NZ teams only in early game as away teams so it's a 9pm NZ kickoff at the latest - instead most NZ games would be Saturday night 5:30pm EST/7:30pm NZ).

If WA have an occasional Friday night home game, they can do 7pm kickoff - 9pm second game East Coast start.

Covering 3-4 metros/regions every Friday.

4 hours of FTA coverage - on par with fumbleball - BUT - 200-220 minutes is actual game time, to their 165ish minutes.

Iamback

Coach

6:55 Channel 9 News/Stan - end the Friday news broadcast with a 5 minute preview of the Friday double headers within the news itself - no need to do it in the actual broadcast.
7:55 Game 1 approximate second half starts -- there is potential to expand this by 5 minutes to increase ad revenue
8:40-ish Approximate end of game 1 (except for golden point scenario which is rare) -- then about 20 seconds after the first game ends, at the second ground all the players are already on the field and the signal is sent to the other ref--
8:40-ish 9/Stan: NRL Game 2 (later game) kicks off -- (prior to this at that ground there was a 7pm NRLW game)
9:25 Game 2 approximate half time starts - Game 2 has an extended half time to make up for reduced ad space in game 1

Every week: Out of the 4 teams, at least 1 Queensland team, 1 Sydney team, 1 Melbourne/Perth team (Perth in later games only to air at 6:40pm start in WA) & 1 other team (NZ teams only in early game as away teams so it's a 9pm NZ kickoff at the latest - instead most NZ games would be Saturday night 5:30pm EST/7:30pm NZ).

If WA have an occasional Friday night home game, they can do 7pm kickoff - 9pm second game East Coast start.

4 hours of FTA coverage - on par with fumbleball - BUT - 200-220 minutes is actual game time, to their 165ish minutes.

I think need to try for the NRLW to be part of the offseason to build up content but aside from that looks good

Channel 9 won't do that kind of coverage on a Friday night. They are too wedded to the news going from 6pm till 7pm and then having A Current Affair. They have been implacably stubborn in changing that since it got rugby league tv rights in 1992.

I mean, look at 2008 when they ignored contractual obligations to televise live the Warriors v Roosters finals match which was being played in Auckland. They stuck to the news followed by A Current Affair and showed the finals match on delay. If they are so willing to thumb its nose at contractual obligations, do you think they will voluntarily change? I don't.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Channel 9 won't do that kind of coverage on a Friday night. They are too wedded to the news going from 6pm till 7pm and then having A Current Affair. They have been implacably stubborn in changing that since it got rugby league tv rights in 1992.

I mean, look at 2008 when they ignored contractual obligations to televise live the Warriors v Roosters finals match which was being played in Auckland. They stuck to the news followed by A Current Affair and showed the finals match on delay. If they are so willing to thumb its nose at contractual obligations, do you think they will voluntarily change? I don't.
Surely anyone watching ACA in 2008 is dead now

docbrown

Coach

Compare the NRL demos for 16-39s to ACA's 16-39s. The NRL's 16-39s is a higher percentage of their overall audience, whereas ACA's majority viewership is over 55s and getting older year on year.

What does this mean?

In 10-15 years, more of the NRL's audience will still be alive and more of ACA's will be dead.

Last edited:

Latest posts