What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Weeks Excuse

Whats next weeks excuse?

• The ref was against us

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • The 50/50 calls didn't go our way

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Dodgy calls

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • The ref helped the other team win

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Refs favour strong teams

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • We just plain SUCK

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
The Frawley no try was the big blow up Iafeta. The Phil Graham no try was his own fault, he put a foot on the chalk as he dived to put the ball down.

woodgers

Bench
I'm surprised it took 6 pages for someone to mention the Graham no try. This was a big turning point in the game with about 15 to go and the Raiders would have pretty much put them to bed. He did put a foot on the line and I believe the game was so tight that it came down to that half boot on the chalk.

The Berrigan no try was controversial. I commented to my mates at the time that if the 50/50 rule is being used then it is a try (although no one could see the ball hit the deck). The problem is that depending on the officials at each game, the benefit could be given or it might not. There is no consistancy but as a Raiders fan I would have accepted the try under the benefit rule. The Frawley one was a disgrace, that was a try for sure NO question. This one didn't even need to go to the benefit rule and was one of the worst decisions this year. Thé 'strip' on Webcke at the end where Brisbane leveled it was a joke, no hand in there.

Mander truely hates the Raiders. I suspect that this comes from the amount of run ins that he has had with Woolford even though he was absent last night. I would have loved to have had the 'ref ears' technology in last night to hear what the Raiders were saying to him, he marched us quite a few times which is rare to cop in the 1 match.

I have more of a problem with players like Brad Thorn who commit Dog acts like blatent elbows to the head of a defenceless opponent on the ground. He should sit out for a few weeks, that is just cheap and was intentional. I also noted that after that penalty Adamson ran at him again and as he got up to play the ball Thorn put a disgusting knee into his head...it was right in front of the 3 officials who let it go. That is o.k Mander, as long as you are policing the important aspects such as backchat rather than actual indiscretions.

Lastly, you are an idiot for starting this thread Kiwi. If you had bothered to read what most Raider fans such as myself had been saying all year, you will know that we are first to admit that our attack etc is what is losing us matches. We realise that we lack the strike power our wide and are missing a few key forwards. Don't forget, our club is only allowed to spend 3.25 mill.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah you're right Bobby, Frawley was the one they were blowing up about.

They were saying Brisbane fans couldn't understand it.

salivor

First Grade
woodgers said:
I have more of a problem with players like Brad Thorn who commit Dog acts like blatent elbows to the head of a defenceless opponent on the ground. He should sit out for a few weeks, that is just cheap and was intentional. I also noted that after that penalty Adamson ran at him again and as he got up to play the ball Thorn put a disgusting knee into his head...it was right in front of the 3 officials who let it go. That is o.k Mander, as long as you are policing the important aspects such as backchat rather than actual indiscretions.

Yet you have no problem with Ben Cross blatantly taking out Lockyer after the ball had well gone and not only that but clean around the face? Didn't even get put on report or get a penalty, thankfully we scored a try on the end of that set and Lockyer remained on the field otherwise that would've been a huge turning point taking out our key player.

All the critics that have been slinging mud at the Broncos for the last two weeks over the Webcke and Hodges/Parker incidents, will you have the same outrage if Cross gets off at the judiciary?

skeepe

Immortal
woodgers said:

I noticed that as well but thought I must have been seeing things as nobody else had mentioned it. If Thorn played for a lesser club, he would have been sent off, regardless of the contact. The act alone is enough.

One player who I lost all respect for last night was Darren Smith. Dirty play after dirty play from the dinosaur. Knees from marker 4 or 5 times, standing in front of the play the ball while Broncos were in possesion 10 metres out from the Raiders line (Mander screamed at him to move but he just stood his ground and the soft cheat didn't penalise him) and not to mention grabbing hold of his marker every time he played the ball, sometimes wanting to punch on because he was tackled well. Darren Smith, it's time to retire mate.

skeepe

Immortal
salivor said:
All the critics that have been slinging mud at the Broncos for the last two weeks over the Webcke and Hodges/Parker incidents, will you have the same outrage if Cross gets off at the judiciary?

You're not serious are you? Cross gave him a little tap across the shoulder, and no I wouldn't share the outrage because Lockyer wasn't dropped on his head from a dangerous position.

salivor

First Grade
skeepe said:
You're not serious are you? Cross gave him a little tap across the shoulder, and no I wouldn't share the outrage because Lockyer wasn't dropped on his head from a dangerous position.

The shoulder lol, maybe if Lockyer suddenly has lost his neck. Clearly around the chin and head. Lockyer was dazed and took several minutes to recover and even the touch judge report was that he was hit around the head, I suppose Lockyer was groggy from a knock around the shoulder though lol.

aussies1st

Staff member
Cross' tackle was nothing just copped him on the chin or else it would have been fine.

Big Pete

Referee
Also how dirty are your players? The spear tackle of Karmichael was pretty damn bad and what's worse is that you kept going with it.

Raiders you played well but you just couldn't win it, just face the facts and realise how close you came to beating a top notch side.

salivor

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Cross' tackle was nothing just copped him on the chin or else it would have been fine.

I thought it was the shoulder lol, copping a player on clean on the chin is a high tackle and should see Cross sit a week on the sideline depending on his prior record.

aussies1st

Staff member
It basically was but some part of his arm clipped lockyer. Don't tell me another Raider will be suspended for loading

woodgers

Bench
salivor said:
Yet you have no problem with Ben Cross blatantly taking out Lockyer after the ball had well gone and not only that but clean around the face? Didn't even get put on report or get a penalty, thankfully we scored a try on the end of that set and Lockyer remained on the field otherwise that would've been a huge turning point taking out our key player.

This isn't my point Salivor. The judiciary will deal with these incidents with their usual incompetence. I have more of a problem with players who intentionally commit offences such as the Thorn one. Michael Croker is my most dispised player because he does the same - intentional forearms, elbows, palms in the back of the neck etc. This is blatent foul play and should be punished accordingly. Cross was in a similar position to PJ Marsh a few weeks ago against the Dragons where he is franticly trying to charge down or put the kicker off. When a player is doing this it means there is no intent yet the judiciary get it wrong and rub out the players that make mistakes rather than blatent cheap and foul ones.

woodgers

Bench
Also how dirty are your players? The spear tackle of Karmichael was pretty damn bad and what's worse is that you kept going with it.

Big Pete, I would suggest leaving to topic of spear tackles well alone as a Broncos fan.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos never drove in the spear tackles.

Unlike you Raider players who went on with it and drove his head into the ground.

salivor

First Grade
woodgers said:
This isn't my point Salivor. The judiciary will deal with these incidents with their usual incompetence. I have more of a problem with players who intentionally commit offences such as the Thorn one. Michael Croker is my most dispised player because he does the same - intentional forearms, elbows, palms in the back of the neck etc. This is blatent foul play and should be punished accordingly. Cross was in a similar position to PJ Marsh a few weeks ago against the Dragons where he is franticly trying to charge down or put the kicker off. When a player is doing this it means there is no intent yet the judiciary get it wrong and rub out the players that make mistakes rather than blatent cheap and foul ones.

I don't know what incident you were looking at but Lockyer wasn't kicking the ball, he was passing it so Cross wasn't charging down anything. The ball had been well and truely passed and Cross blatantly came out of the line and took out Lockyer high. You'll struggle to find a more blatant attempt to take out a teams key playmaker.

Thorn has really put some mungrel into his play of late, it's starting to move into foul play and needs to be stamped out which I agree with. He cost us a try against Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and he put us under huge pressure last night on our own line when we were going to get a relieving penalty and probably close out the game from that point. Talking about the sin bin or a send off is a total overraction though.

woodgers

Bench
Big Pete said:
Broncos never drove in the spear tackles.

Unlike you Raider players who went on with it and drove his head into the ground.

Irrelevant. A player will never intentionally drive a players head into the ground,it would be plain stupid and no one was put another players life at risk like that regardless of who they are. I am just refering to the fact that in the past 3 weeks we have seen Broncos up on spear tackle charges each time which has pretty much gone unpunished. The Webcke one a few weeks ago was textbook, lift with hand in between the legs, flip and then drop the player on his head. If he didn't have the status and 'golden' image with the NRL, he would be lucky if he was even back for the finals.

salivor

First Grade
woodgers said:
Irrelevant. A player will never intentionally drive a players head into the ground,it would be plain stupid and no one was put another players life at risk like that regardless of who they are. I am just refering to the fact that in the past 3 weeks we have seen Broncos up on spear tackle charges each time which has pretty much gone unpunished. The Webcke one a few weeks ago was textbook, lift with hand in between the legs, flip and then drop the player on his head. If he didn't have the status and 'golden' image with the NRL, he would be lucky if he was even back for the finals.

It's actually only been the past two weeks with two incidents being the Webcke and Parker/Hodges tackles. With Woolford still serving an 8 week suspension for a driving spear tackle on Slater, the Raiders aren't exactly qualified to talk on this matter either.

woodgers

Bench
salivor said:
It's actually only been the past two weeks with two incidents being the Webcke and Parker/Hodges tackles. With Woolford still serving an 8 week suspension for a driving spear tackle on Slater, the Raiders aren't exactly qualified to talk on this matter either.

Perhaps but even Wayne Bennett himself said that Woolfords one on Slater was a perfect tackle. If you reversed the players tackling in each instance then Webcke wouldn't have been given a grade 2 for the tackle on Slater, the NRL don't want to see him on the sidelines because he is one of their golden boys. I'm not saying I dislike Webcke or think he is dirty but if the system was fair and each incident was treated on its merits then you can plainly see that Webcke's was a far worse spear than the Woolford one. How did Webcke get a grade 1 and Woolford a grade 2? Put 2 and 2 together and you get 4.

This is off topic anyway, I was responding to Big Pete's comment on the Raiders spear tackle. On topic I congratulate the Broncos for finishing the game off, something we didn't do. I would actually love to finish 8th and have another crack at you guys in Brisbane, we play you better up there than in Canberra and I don't fancy our chances at Parramatta Stadium.

salivor

First Grade
woodgers said:
Perhaps but even Wayne Bennett himself said that Woolfords one on Slater was a perfect tackle. If you reversed the players tackling in each instance then Webcke wouldn't have been given a grade 2 for the tackle on Slater, the NRL don't want to see him on the sidelines because he is one of their golden boys. I'm not saying I dislike Webcke or think he is dirty but if the system was fair and each incident was treated on its merits then you can plainly see that Webcke's was a far worse spear than the Woolford one. How did Webcke get a grade 1 and Woolford a grade 2? Put 2 and 2 together and you get 4.

Difference is that both players lifted the player into a dangerous position but one continued driving in the tackle while the other attempted to pull out which is where the difference in the grading came in. Spare me all the bleating about bias and golden boys, doesn't do your credibility any favours.

woodgers

Bench
Difference is that both players lifted the player into a dangerous position but one continued driving in the tackle while the other attempted to pull out which is where the difference in the grading came in. Spare me all the bleating about bias and golden boys, doesn't do your credibility any favours.

What about the fact that one had both hands wrapped around the legs and drove where the other was picking someone up with the hand in between the legs and flipped. The definition of a spear would surely apply mostly to the Webcke one.

If you think there are teams and players that aren't favoured by certain factions of League whether they be various refs, Judiciary, Media, Salary Cap auditors then you have your head up your arse. Get off the PC, go to a few games and get some perspective. I had an indepth conversation with about 8 other league fans who followed various clubs last evening. Every one of them said that the favouritism was ruining the game. I also go to the games each week and sit in a group of about 80 people who share the same view, so how does that ruin my credibility Einstein?

Latest posts