What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Offseason Rumours and Updates

abpanther

Staff member
Actually I think this is the best thing they could have done. The problem was at the top, and they fixed that now. Hopefully the guy they have now is empowered enough to be able to drive the culture change the club needs to turn it all around.

So you agree with a process that involves firing (after one season) and hiring a HC before firing the GM?

Dogs Of War

Coach
So you agree with a process that involves firing (after one season) and hiring a HC before firing the GM?

It's not like the new GM is a stranger to the organisation, and by the sounds of it, given Farmer turned down a GM role elsewhere, that this was the plan right from the start and that Farmer probably had a big say in which coach was appointed.

legend

Coach
A good draft with two first round picks and they are good to go in their division. Get a QB and a WR to compliment Gordon and Cameron and sign Knowshon Moreno and they are set IMO. D is very good. They already have a lot of the pieces.

LMAO @ Weeden wanting out. He sucked big time!

kurt faulk

Coach
A good draft with two first round picks and they are good to go in their division. Get a QB and a WR to compliment Gordon and Cameron and sign Knowshon Moreno and they are set IMO. D is very good. They already have a lot of the pieces.

LMAO @ Weeden wanting out. He sucked big time!

they will be sending those, and more, to the rams to get their qb.

i can only hope.

nick87

Coach
The browns are a total joke
But im pleased to see Banner put in his place, merkin thought he was all that and bag of chips at the end of his eagles reign.

Also:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...randon-weeden-wants-to-leave-cleveland-browns

How's the f**king hide of this guy? :lol:
If the Browns werent such a f**king basket case the guy might not even have a job in the NFL! And he's playing the power game of trying to force his way out!!!

WEEEEEEDS! I am stunned at the gall of him :lol:
Got to admire the balls

kurt faulk

Coach
images

Shorty

Staff member
they will be sending those, and more, to the rams to get their qb.

i can only hope.

I'm guessing Lombardi wanted Manziel, also wanted McDaniels...apparently.

.....somebody tell me why firing this pair is a bad thing again?! Lol!

ggmu

Juniors
T-Sizzle extended his contract with the ravens. Much more friendly cap hit now.

DC_fan

Coach
Redskins TE Fred Davis was suspended indefinitely for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. It is his second suspension.

kurt faulk

Coach

problems in whinerland?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014
[&#8203, post: IMG"]Getty Images

The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-report-of-near-harbaugh-trade-to-nfl-media/

Unnamed 49ers source denies report of near Harbaugh trade to NFL Media

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2014
[&#8203, post: IMG"]Getty Images

The 49ers still haven’t gotten back to us with a response to our report that the team nearly traded coach Jim Harbaugh to the Browns for multiple draft picks.

Someone from the 49ers, however, is talking off the record to the media company the 49ers partially own. Which sort of makes it something akin to a press release. With no one’s name attached to it.

An unnamed 49ers source tells Ian Rapoport of NFL Media that the report is “completely false” and “[r]idiculous.”

If it’s false, why not say so on the record? That’s because, frankly, it’s not false.

In contrast, the Browns have commented on the story on the record, and the Browns have neither called the story “completely false” nor “ridiculous.”

We’ll continue to wait for the 49ers to respond to our request for comment. Or for the 49ers to issue an actual press release denying the story. Without using someone from the league-owned media network to perpetrate a version of reality that isn’t accurate.

We can’t blame the 49ers for trying to call the story false. But their desire for the story to be false will never make it false.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/mort-confirms-substance-of-our-harbaugh-report/

Enter Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

“Browns did indeed make a run at Jim Harbaugh that reached a serious stage, sources confirm substance of @ProFootballTalk report,” Mortensen said via Twitter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...761171/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Browns owner confirms Harbaugh talks with 49ers
Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirmed talks occurred with the San Francisco 49ers about possibly obtaining head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Although Harbaugh and 49ers owner John York denied that a deal was in the works to exchange the coach for draft pick, Haslam confirmed the talks.

"There was an opportunity there, and it didn't materialize," Haslam told USA TODAY Sports.

ProFootballTalk.com reported Friday that during an elongated search that included potential coaches rejecting the Browns, the team made a run at Harbaugh.

PFT reported that Harbaugh nixed the deal. Haslam wouldn't elaborate on why the deal fell through.

The revelation, though, underscores what has been apparent for weeks: new Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine was a consolation choice.

Pettine was prepared for questions about the report when he met with reporters Saturday at the combine.

"I got a phone call saying that that report was about to come out, and I shot the messenger a little bit. Because I asked, 'How does that affect my tenure as the head coach?' I think in my next sentence, I either used the word 'flying' followed by something or referenced a part of a rat's body," Pettine said. "I think that's noise. It has no bearing on my job moving forward."

York acknowledges Browns contacted 49ers about Harbaugh
Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2014

The 49ers have come a long way from their initial off-the-record insistence to NFL Media that the report of a possible trade of coach Jim Harbaugh to the Browns was “completely false” and “ridiculous.”

Three days after trying to create the impression that the report was entirely fabricated and fully erroneous, the 49ers admit that there were trade communications.

“The Browns reached out to me, and we had no interest in pursuing it,” CEO Jed York tells Peter King of TheMMQB.com.

That’s still much different from Browns owner Jimmy Haslam confirming that there was an “opportunity” that didn’t materialize. “Opportunity” implies that something more happened than the 49ers hanging up on the Browns.

“Opportunity” implies that something more could happen in the future.

And that ultimately could be why the 49ers are trying to create the impression that they had zero interest in trading Harbaugh. Unless the 49ers and Harbaugh work out a long-term deal this offseason (which would entail the 49ers paying Harbaugh much more than they want to pay), the efforts of other teams to acquire Harbaugh could continue.

The lingering possibility that another team will try to finagle Harbaugh requires the 49er to try to maintain leverage, in order to avoid giving their head coach away.

The terms of the trade that Harbaugh ultimately didn’t want (based on our report) could go a long way toward shaping his future value if a deal happens, but those terms remain unknown. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported over the weekend that the package did not include a first-round pick.

Regardless of what did or didn’t happen between the Browns and the 49ers, the uncertainty in San Francisco will linger until the team and its coach work out a long-term deal — or until the two sides convince the rest of the NFL that they have.

Even if they really don’t.

JASON LA CANFORA
CBS Sports NFL Insider

Jim Harbaugh's relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse
February 23, 2014 9:32 pm ET

Can GM Trent Baalke and coach Jim Harbaugh get along? The 49ers need to figure that out. (USATSI)
Can GM Trent Baalke and coach Jim Harbaugh get along? The 49ers need to figure that out. (USATSI)
More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | NFL combine workout results

INDIANAPOLIS -- Things are not getting better behind the scenes for the San Francisco 49ers. There was a persistent rumble throughout the combine about the extent of the rift between coach Jim Harbaugh and the team's front office. It doesn't seem like it will go away, and there is increasing buzz that the team might have to decide between Harbaugh or GM Trent Baalke.

The men are barely speaking, I'm told, and almost all communication is through email. Harbaugh also has a strained relationship with team president Paraag Marathe, sources said, and he has clashed with many within the organization. It could prove untenable. If anything, the impression I got this week was that the situation there is actually much worse than how it has been portrayed in the media, and helps explain the delay in giving a new deal to the coach, who has two years left on a contract he has outperformed.

IN BIG DEMAND
Browns owner confirms team went after Harbaugh
Harbaugh has done nothing but reach, at least, the NFC Championship Game since coming to San Francisco three years ago, and the longer this goes on, the worse it might get. To almost anyone I posited the question to, the response was pretty much the same -- there is no way they can't extend Harbaugh. But then again, in the NFL, you never know.

I've long expected Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh, and we all know he already tried to hire him before firing a coach in the past. I'm also not surprised that the Browns made an attempt to land him as well, although, from what I have heard of that situation, Cleveland's approach did not get very far. Still, if other teams sense a vulnerability there, they will continue to explore, and it's hard to imagine Harbaugh coaching out a lame-duck year there in 2015 if he hasn't received an extension by then.

This is a matter that will need attention this offseason, one way or the other. When the 49ers landed Harbaugh, his intensity, personality, potential issues getting along with others, etc., were no secret. Some wondered how long it might be before issues arose, with Baalke also very intense and strong-willed himself. If they did in some way move on from him -- via a trade or whatever -- many believe defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would be positioned to slide in.

Perhaps owner Jed York can find a way to make this situation work long term and retain the many talented people he has assembled. He has proven to be a dynamic leader and a problem solver already.

abpanther

Staff member
is it true or just a media beat up?

it would be great for the rest of the nfc west if it was true.

I think it's a bit of both

I think the media are definitely beating it up, from what I've read the Browns approached the 49ers about a number of coaches, including Harbaugh, York promptly told them they weren't interested.

Regardless there have been reports for months that there may be problems. GM Baalke and Harbaugh apparantly have a strained relationship at the moment, reports are that Harbaugh's intense, high energy persona is starting to wear thin, coupled with his desire to want more power and control over personnel. Apparantly after their loss to Seattle, in the locker room he gave a big speech about how he was determined to do whatever it took to keep everyone together despite what the head office had in mind, Baalke was present for that speech and apparantly it was quite awkward. Furthermore, the 49ers are currently looking to re-sign Harbaugh so this could be part of low balling him as a negotiation tactic. York and Baalke are real tight.

For me personally, I would be gutted to see Harbaugh go. As much as his persona can rub people the wrong way, he's a great coach and his results speak for themselves. I think Baalke gets too much credit for the 49ers success and I think keeping Harbaugh is much more critical to our future success than keeping Baalke.

Time will tell, but there's definitely some smoke here

Latest posts