What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine Screws Melbourne again

Bricey

Juniors
But whatever they put on will get totally outrated by the AFL so what do they have to lose?
I'll take a stab and say the NRL finals would get more viewers than whatever else they put on

Here is a fact about channel9 's coverage of the NRL in victoria

in 2005 the tigers won the grand final and I was wrapped as a life long magpies supporter.... I suffered the 14 game loosing streak hoping things would get better, and they did

Channel9 showed the game live....thankfully...and I got to see my team win the ultimate prize, or so I thought....

as soon as the game was finished, they closed the coverage and cut to a repeat movie "ghost" I think it was.... I NEVER got to see my team lift the trophy!

Just because we follow the NRL, we are treated like 2nd class citizens. The NRL needs to make sure that the television provider that wins the rights when they become available, no matter who they are, show the games LIVE right across the country

How can the game grow, if grass roots players dont get the chance to see thier heros, week in, week out?

End of Rant!

AuckMel

Bench
Here is a fact about channel9 's coverage of the NRL in victoria

in 2005 the tigers won the grand final and I was wrapped as a life long magpies supporter.... I suffered the 14 game loosing streak hoping things would get better, and they did

Channel9 showed the game live....thankfully...and I got to see my team win the ultimate prize, or so I thought....

as soon as the game was finished, they closed the coverage and cut to a repeat movie "ghost" I think it was.... I NEVER got to see my team lift the trophy!

Just because we follow the NRL, we are treated like 2nd class citizens. The NRL needs to make sure that the television provider that wins the rights when they become available, no matter who they are, show the games LIVE right across the country

How can the game grow, if grass roots players dont get the chance to see thier heros, week in, week out?

End of Rant!

Well said, Bricey. Although I'd argue we're treated more like 4th class citizens.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
why would nine show a program in melbourne that no one is interested in, or will bother to watch, just to satisfy a small minority? it doesn't make sense. it makes about as much sense as chewbecca living with the ewoks....i don't think they care about satisfying a small niche market that won't help them bring in the advertising dollar
Chewbacca aside, Every week in the football season in Victoria, Nine gets belted in the ratings no matter what they put on because of the AFL.

If they are always losing, then what's to lose by showing league live?

At present they show the poorest rating programs possible, almost to allow people to watch the AFL.

Every time their reason is because legaue doesn't rate in Melbourne. I could understand this if League was actually given a chance to prove itself. The only NRL ratings they have to work off in Melbourne are from the games they telecast at midnight and 2am. How many programs rate highly at that time compared to prime time?

Nine are doing everything they can to justify their stance, as blatantly obvious as it is.

This year Melbourne has had 4 NRL games live to my knowledge. Origins 1 and 2, the Aus v NZ test, and a Storm v Broncos Sunday game.

As for delayed telecasts, only 1 game that has been delayed by 4 or less has been telecast and that was Origin 3 (2 hours delayed)

All other games, including tonights finals (which was actually telecast at 11.50pm) have been over 4 hours delayed. The second game on Friday night is screened in Melbourne 7 hours after kick off!

TheRam

Coach
I have said this all along. It's a f**king disgrace and these sorts of things are good enough reasons as to why Gallop should not be taken seriously.

When it all boils down to the big decisions, whose interests are really being looked after??? Certainly not rugby league's.

I mean what was that "use it or lose it" rubbish a few years ago?

I think what he meant was the Nine network and Fox must use their proverbial big dicks to fu*k the NRL up the arse, while he is doing his best impersonation of a slack arse jaw whore, bending over to accommodate them.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The Anzac test this season that 9 actually showed live in vic rated 100k less than the AFL on ch7.

Yet it doesn't rate :roll:

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Apparently 9 were more willing to put ratings juggernaut Miss Congeniality 2: Armed And Fabulous up against the AFL instead of league. It's times like this I f**king hate living in Melbourne.

MsStorm

Bench
I wrote a letter to David Gallop practically beggin him to insert that all important clause in the next tv rights deal some months ago and haven't even had the courtesy of a reply so far.

BIKER DRAGON

Juniors
I wrote a letter to David Gallop practically beggin him to insert that all important clause in the next tv rights deal some months ago and haven't even had the courtesy of a reply so far.

:lol: You have more chance of getting a reply from Santa Claus

why would nine show a program in melbourne that no one is interested in, or will bother to watch, just to satisfy a small minority? it doesn't make sense.

Sounds like the Swans in Sydney.yet fumbleball fans get to see them shown at a decent hour...

Scarves

Juniors
Someone said that the NRL games would get slaughtered by AFL. But surely Customs and NZ Highway Patrol would get just as much rear end vasoline damage. The next winner of the TV rights needs to back and promote our game, they have to become part of the belief and fabric.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In Perth they started showing the NRL game on a Sunday afternoon. It rated higher than the wrestling it replaced. It lasted a few weeks and then was kicked back to midnight and replaced with the lower rating wrestling again. Where the frick is the logic in that?

Teh audience is there and can be built in any State, we just need a CEO/NRL that has faith in its product and stops doffing its cap to TV moguls.

gallagher

Juniors
Ch 7 is just as bad with their sports. The rugby test isnt on in perth until after midnight. 7 and 9 sure know how to give ch10 a free kick.

dragondad

First Grade
I'm in Melbourne at the moment for the swans game, coming back tomorrow for the Saints game.

Nrl last night came on fox at 1030 and 11 on ch 9. Tonight the two games are on at 11 and 1 on fox and 12 and 2 on 9. Funnily enough the Afl last night was put on half an hour delay by ch 7.

The age sport section only had a tiny article on the Titans game.

Bricey

Juniors
after doing a little bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that the root of the problem lies directly with the federal government. Currently the anti-siphoning reglations in relation to sport on television is set to be overhauled.

Currently there are 1300 (yes, that is one thousand, three hundred) sporting or nationally significant events on the federal governments anti-siphoning list*

For those who are lucky to have access to a pay-tv subsciption will notice that thier is a regular pattern in the way foxsports telecast thier NRL matches per week. Friday night is called "Late Night League" and its coverage commences at 11.30pm friday nights, showing the 2 games as replays from the channel9 feed. Again on a sunday, the replay match starts at 6pm after the channel9 replay has concluded at 6pm. This is because channel9 has a clause that says "No pay television provider can show a replay of a match in direct competition with channel9s coverage in NSW and QLD." This is part of the reason why the 2 matches on a friday night are streamed into each state at different times.

The government is looking at changing the legislation to allow free to air providers to broadcast sporting events on thier secondary digital channel (GoTV, 7two, One hd ect). If these channels are national direct feed, it would mean that what is being shown in sydney will also be available to watch at the same time in Albany WA. This would instantly fix the problems that we are currently experiencing in Victoria.

If anyone is interested, the entire Austar submission to the governments "Sport on Television review" is available at the link below. As to is the reference point to the figure marked with the *. Be warned however, the Submission is 31pgs long, but exceedingly well written

*appendix1, austar main submission, Pg 10
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/121315/Austar_main_submission.pdf

Green Machine

First Grade
Ch 7 is just as bad with their sports. The rugby test isnt on in perth until after midnight. 7 and 9 sure know how to give ch10 a free kick.
At least with Union and AFL, you can watch it "Live" on Fox Sports/Main Event if FTA don't cover it in your market,

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
When I was in Melbourne the knights were playing on a sunday in NSW I believe. The game ended up not even being televised on channel 9 and I had to wait until tuesday arvo to finally see the match on fox.

Perth Tiger

Bench
after doing a little bit of research, I have come to the conclusion that the root of the problem lies directly with the federal government. Currently the anti-siphoning reglations in relation to sport on television is set to be overhauled.

Currently there are 1300 (yes, that is one thousand, three hundred) sporting or nationally significant events on the federal governments anti-siphoning list*

For those who are lucky to have access to a pay-tv subsciption will notice that thier is a regular pattern in the way foxsports telecast thier NRL matches per week. Friday night is called "Late Night League" and its coverage commences at 11.30pm friday nights, showing the 2 games as replays from the channel9 feed. Again on a sunday, the replay match starts at 6pm after the channel9 replay has concluded at 6pm. This is because channel9 has a clause that says "No pay television provider can show a replay of a match in direct competition with channel9s coverage in NSW and QLD." This is part of the reason why the 2 matches on a friday night are streamed into each state at different times.

The government is looking at changing the legislation to allow free to air providers to broadcast sporting events on thier secondary digital channel (GoTV, 7two, One hd ect). If these channels are national direct feed, it would mean that what is being shown in sydney will also be available to watch at the same time in Albany WA. This would instantly fix the problems that we are currently experiencing in Victoria.

If anyone is interested, the entire Austar submission to the governments "Sport on Television review" is available at the link below. As to is the reference point to the figure marked with the *. Be warned however, the Submission is 31pgs long, but exceedingly well written

*appendix1, austar main submission, Pg 10
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/121315/Austar_main_submission.pdf

You are dead right that the main problem is this legislation. The anti-siphoning reglations is based on 1970 technology that has not been updated to accommodate the modern information technology available. The general public, not just NRL fans need this legislation updated but I am not holding my breath with the pollies who for the most part barely understand the internet :crazy:

This farcical situation where Nein are allowed to actively suppress the game in non-footy states must be fixed during the next TV rights contract. We get oz rools shoved down our throats in NSW and QLD despite the ratings proving we can't stand a bar of it....time the heathen in the minor states were exposed to the joys of NRL at reasonable viewing times.

Latest posts