What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine Screws Melbourne again

hutch

First Grade
This farcical situation where Nein are allowed to actively suppress the game in non-footy states must be fixed during the next TV rights contract. We get oz rools shoved down our throats in NSW and QLD despite the ratings proving we can't stand a bar of it....time the heathen in the minor states were exposed to the joys of NRL at reasonable viewing times.

there actually is a clause in the current contract with 9 that rugby league has to be shown in melbourne before midnight but it constantly isnt and nobody does anything about it! get rid of 9!

LESStar58

Referee
But whatever they put on will get totally outrated by the AFL so what do they have to lose?
I'll take a stab and say the NRL finals would get more viewers than whatever else they put on

It's poor management. Simple. The AFL demands live finals be shown live in to Sydney regardless of wether or not the Pink Poofs are playing and Brisbane if the Koalas aren't playing.

Vlad and his cronies wouldn't stand for the treatment of the game the way Gallop and his ilk tolerate the treatment of the game in Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Re media, the West Australian has really lifted its game this season on the back of the Reds Bid. On Mondays we now get a full page with colour pics of NRL games with a round up of the local WARL 1st grade. There is an increasing amount of stuff during the week as well and good previews on a Friday. Compare to previous years where there was rarely anything this is a big improvement. Back in the early 90's they actually employed a RL journo on the paper, hopefully we will get back to that one day.

m0nty

Juniors
I can understand Nine putting on female-friendly programming like Miss Congeniality or whatever chick flick they have laying around in the archives, as they can sell advertisers on a different demographic as pretty much all the blokes in AFL states will be watching AFL... but why would they put Semi-Pro up against the AFL when it appeals to pretty much the same audience? You might as well chuck the rugby league on.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How did the Melbourne press respond the Tigers v Roosters game? Did it even rate a mention?
A very brief snippet of a summary report. that is it.

The news on 7 and 9 has made no mention at all of anything league related for the past 2 weeks (sticking true to form).

_snafu_

Immortal
...and the Victorians extoll the virtues of living in Melbourne? sh*t weather, no surf beaches, AFL and sh*t coverage of the rugby league. But they say it has great cafes and theatres

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i still love last year, same finals weekend...

they screened dirty dancing instead of the finals...

thanks channel 9... no wonder you guys are going bust with great business sense like that..

the sooner they get their head out of the AFL's arse the better..

parano1a

Juniors
I can guarantee with absolute certainty that less than 1% of Victorians would watch the Raiders v Tigers Semi Final over the Collingwood v Geelong Prelim if both were shown live tomorrow night.

So of course Nine are going to show a movie to attract some of the viewers that hate sport altogether, it's just common sense.

Paullyboy

Coach
I can understand them not showing all games the same times as NSW/QLD, it's the fact they will show netball, hockey, motorbikes ahead of (or instead of) league during the news which shows there are clearly AFL people making personal decisions to try and limit any chance of rugby league growth. Victoria is pretty much a communist region

j5o6hn

Juniors
Why wont 9 let Foxtel show it on pay live then those who dont live in NSW QLD like me in Perth can watch it live.
The funny thing is WIN show the game live in Country WA

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can guarantee with absolute certainty that less than 1% of Victorians would watch the Raiders v Tigers Semi Final over the Collingwood v Geelong Prelim if both were shown live tomorrow night.

So of course Nine are going to show a movie to attract some of the viewers that hate sport altogether, it's just common sense.
so if less than 1% will not be watching AFL, then you hardly have any ratings to gain, so again I ask, what's to lose?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

so if less than 1% will not be watching AFL, then you hardly have any ratings to gain, so again I ask, what's to lose?

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
It's f**king ridiculous, furthermore, the NRL.com site won't let Victorian's watch the game live on theirsite, but people in f**king ethiopia can watch it live.

This code is f**king geniused. Apparently international viewers are more important than those in the city of one of the NRL sides.

You can't watch live games on NRL if you're an international viewer, not sure where you got that idea.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
victoria is so afl passionate it's disturbing..

i was only this year that 'the age' (our version of the SMH) would publish the full list of league teams on a wednesday... before that, it was the storm & whoever they were playing...

i really don't get what is so exciting about AFL...

Bulldog Force

Referee
victoria is so afl passionate it's disturbing..

i was only this year that 'the age' (our version of the SMH) would publish the full list of league teams on a wednesday... before that, it was the storm & whoever they were playing...

i really don't get what is so exciting about AFL...
I know. I ask myself why the NRL even bothered with that joint. Perhaps another NRL team in Melbourne's AFL heartland would be the answer - more rivalry :lol:

Latest posts