What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nines

nrlnrl

First Grade
Relax guys it's a micky mouse comp. Wouldn't be reading too much into it. I mean Parra beat Easts for f**ks sake!

That's true, but no organisation with ball & were on the back foot the whole game. There was no structure to get attack moving forward & players were standing flat. The teams who have won games have been running onto the ball & taking advantage of the extra space.

Dugan was the only danger with the ball & had no support. They didn't have any quick smaller guys like a few of the better teams have. I didn't see Williams run it at all. I thought Frizell would go well, but didn't see him ( mightn't had been his fault ).

Obviously Widdop will be the key, plus finding a half who combines well with him to get the team playing positively when they get back to real rugby league.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Wish there was a one's comp
Dugan would smash them
No passing required

I know a nines tournament isn't a benchmark for how a season may pan out but.........

Yes Commissioner, the only one who even looked like giving a sh.. was Duges.
One try in a nines ? Im baffled.

hardbaby

Coach
To do well this year we need a team approach. 9's doesn't really suit our players. As mentioned in a previous post the only real "freak" we have is Dugan. Our forwards (Merrin aside) aren't massively skilled and our backs (Morris aside) aren't hugely quick. The Charity Shield will give a much better picture of where we are at...

hazzbeen

Bench
And we could only score 1 try against a 2nd string souffs side with all but 2 of our best players. Plus we got 5 against us. We are screwed this year

Dont worry. Nothing to worry about. Its dragons footy as price says..

Twenty10

Juniors
Interesting that we did supposedly field on of the strongest sides but there was little interest for any player it seemed. Dugan as usual only one having a crack. Very disappointing regardless of the fact it's a pre season 9s comp.

God-King Dean

Immortal
be8cbed5-9cf9-41c8-9194-208f54214705_zps47d108af.jpg

FlameThrower

Bench
To do well this year we need a team approach. 9's doesn't really suit our players. As mentioned in a previous post the only real "freak" we have is Dugan. Our forwards (Merrin aside) aren't massively skilled and our backs (Morris aside) aren't hugely quick. The Charity Shield will give a much better picture of where we are at...

Mark, those words...
The Tabs,betting agency had as as favourites...disappointing as we'll we got lowest score of all teams ....

Second game will see if we've learnt anything!

Twenty10

Juniors
Relax guys it's a micky mouse comp. Wouldn't be reading too much into it. I mean Parra beat Easts for f**ks sake!

Relax? We get belted and look like the worst team in the comp and you want us to relax? Everyone else putting in. We were absolute rubbish. Any optimism the fans had as been stuck right up our asses. We were supposed to have one of the better teams over there!! All I can say is if we don't win the next game there'll be instant pressure on team.

TruSaint

Referee
Relax? We get belted and look like the worst team in the comp and you want us to relax? Everyone else putting in. We were absolute rubbish. Any optimism the fans had as been stuck right up our asses. We were supposed to have one of the better teams over there!! All I can say is if we don't win the next game there'll be instant pressure on team.

I know its the 9's and we shouldn't read too much into it. I think if what Nighty said was true (i.e we have no idea etc), then why send such as strong team? Do a Melbourne if so. Personally, i don't are if its sevens / nines / etc, ... compete. In that first game we were a one man show. On paper, the team we sent should be contenders. If it was our intention to feel the waters, why risk injury to your top players? Lets see what happens game 2.

T10, there wont be any pressure on anyone, as the excuse will be 9's.

Dezziedc

Juniors

Lol. Doesn't take long for the doom and gloom to come out. It's 9s. It's pre-season and its a bit of fun. It's a hit out for some of the guys. I'm not taking anything out of this whether we do well or not. As far as I am concerned this is still just feeling the team out until the season starts.

You guys need to take a chill pill and stop expecting all of these new players to click instantly. Some of these combos will take a while to get right and I see this as a chance to see how that goes. That's all. Not a do or die test that sets the stage for the rest of the season.

Besides, who take any notice of what betting agencies say? Especially for a comp that is new and untested.

kit66

Bench
I didn't see the game or any of them but I know with these short format games ( 7's and I'm guessing 9's ) one team can get a roll on before the other team even finds it's feet. I wouldn't be panicking after one game in a new format that we supposedly didn't train for.

TruSaint

Referee
Dez, no doom and gloom mate. Just comments on what we have seen to date buddy.
I think that's what the forum is for.
Not calling for anyone's head here, but I stick by my belief that if this was just a non-event, why
jeopardise so many quality players ? Our back 3 I wouldnt replace with any... why have them there and not blood some other kids.

kit66

Bench
Dez, no doom and gloom mate. Just comments on what we have seen to date buddy.
I think that's what the forum is for.
Not calling for anyone's head here, but I stick by my belief that if this was just a non-event, why
jeopardise so many quality players ? Our back 3 I wouldnt replace with any... why have them there and not blood some other kids.

I'd say it's because we're treating it like a trial and doing some much needed work on new combinations and generally getting some match fitness. We only have the one real hit out in the CS other than this. If the Nines hadn't happened we'd have played a trial against the doggies or someone anyway and our back three would have played.
Anyway, if we'd won today or do really well in the next game some would be going "oh wow good call sending a strong team".

TheRev

Coach
2013 rolls on... but to be fair as I mentioned this sort of football doesnt really suit us, were missing ruthless attackers, particularly in the centres... Dugan is a threat and its usually unscripted... Imean he did almost score 2 tries, but thats what he did in 2013 too, cant rely on that alone to win you a game.

Id like to see Quinlan step up, he went missing in the 1st game... Witt was average.

Another game this arvo, lets see if theyre better for that first run, because our 1st grade side looked like a schoolboy side so far.

Latest posts