What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no to hagan!!!!!!!

shiftysmith

Juniors
please no way to hagan.........lets remember in 2001 hagan won the comp with a gun side...i would rather keep smithy then have that arrogant p**** at our club,he has proven nothing to me as a coach he can not hold onto or attract good players,this will be ahuge mistake by our club to give him the job..we have taylor waiting in the wings who is a person who understands the passion in the jersey and by all reports has the respect of the players..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
same here, I relly don't want him here, but it may be all speculation atm

stuke

Bench
ultimately we have to accept whoever the club decided upon. i am not going to turn away from the Eels because i don't agree with who they have chosen to coach them.

i really would like to see a young guy get the nod though....remember in recent times Hagan did a short apprenticeship with Canberra, Stuart with Bulldogs before going on to claim premierships in their first seasons of 1st grade.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
and Tim Sheens won a comp with the Tigers and he was just about the most experinced coach in the league. And didnt John Lang win in 2003?

For every rookie there is an experienced coach that wins a comp.

stuke

Bench
i realise that. was just making the point that an inexperienced coach in terms of FG, like JT or Flanagan is not necessarily a backward step.

plus an old coach won it this year....maybe its time for a young one this time.

bartman

Immortal
AlexTheEel said:
Whoever the club appoints has my full support.
That pretty much sums up the situation. I have nothing against Hagan if it does end up being him, or Daniel Anderson, or Peter Sharp, or Jason Taylor.... etc etc. They'll hopefully be bringing their best abilities to the top job at Parra.

I still feel unless anything drastic develops, the announcements so far suggest to me they're looking at people not currently coaching another NRL team? This is nothing more than my hunch... but this isn't a sudden sacking or anything, it's a planned transition and so I'd imagine they had checked out and made progress on some options before taking the decision at the board meeting.

fish eel

Immortal
I think we can do better than Michael Hagan.

But if he was to get the gig, he is a state of origin, and premiership winning coach and I'd welcome him with open arms.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
I think we can do better than Michael Hagan.

But if he was to get the gig, he is a state of origin, and premiership winning coach and I'd welcome him with open arms.

Possibly. Look at what he has had to work with in Newcastle. They have been experiencing the same mismanagement we did during the late eighties and early nineties where the club looked to the juniors which had been successful in the past as opposed to signing some bigger names like Gene Miles etc. The facilities were of the standard a local park side would have been more than happy with and the lack of support staff was prominent in how the handled injuries.

Through that though he managed to pick up a premiership with a pretty talented team which has gradually got older and been replaced with spare part players and juniors before their time due to the inflated salaries of key players. This is a club whose fanbase rival ours for fanaticism. Being able to deal with that side of things is invaluable coming to the Eels.

Throw him in a set up that is second to none with a talented team balanced with youth and experience and I expect some good results....

I still can't get past the fact fact that, without Johns, Newcastle results have been mediocre.

I'm not sure that he is all he has cracked up to be.

Mind you Colonel I do agree with a more balanced and talented side like ours he may be able to shine.

Take Johns out of the equation and he was a coach pulling his hair out like all the others.

The Colonel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
I still can't get past the fact fact that, without Johns, Newcastle results have been mediocre.

I'm not sure that he is all he has cracked up to be.

Mind you Colonel I do agree with a more balanced and talented side like ours he may be able to shine.

Take Johns out of the equation and he was a coach pulling his hair out like all the others.

Up until 2004 take Hindy out of the Eels and we were much the same......

Every club has a player they struggle to do without. The reliance on Johns has been apparent but the fact is they had never been able to recruit a suitable replacement to cover for him outside of Leo Dynevor...... as they know there is no way they will replace Johns....

PB

Bench
With a squad like ours, most coaches should be able to shine. The question is will he be able to take them to the next step?

I am having trouble developing an opinion not impacted by what i think of him as a person. ie wa#ker. (and remeber he played for the Bulldogs through the 80's, so how can you like him!)

If JT can get the job done, without having the problem of being "one of the boys", then i am all for giving him ago.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Not sure if anyone's brought this up yet, but isn't Hagan the not-so-proud owner of a 2005 limited edition wooden spoon?

*waits for the "No Hagan" banner campaign*

Stagger eel

Staff member
eloquentEEL said:
Not sure if anyone's brought this up yet, but isn't Hagan the not-so-proud owner of a 2005 limited edition wooden spoon?

*waits for the "No Hagan" banner campaign*

Brian Smith holds one of those from his time at Illawarra.

Latest posts