What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nomination for most overrated movie of all time

Red Bear

Referee
Are the Harry Potter movies particularly highly rated? Big budget but I don't recall many awards or a heap of love for them.

Big Lebowski. yawn

shiznit

Coach
Gravity.... Any movie where George Clooney and Sandra Bullock could become astronauts instantly loses credibility...

T.S Quint

Coach
Some highly rated movies which I didn't find all that great:

Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
Donnie Darko
Skyfall
Drive

Haha, I loved every single one of those movies.
Goodfellas overrated? Never thought I'd ever hear that from anyone.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not a huge Tarantino fan. Visually spectacular but often shit in other areas.

Resevoir Dogs - stole the idea from City on Fire, in some places directly. Of course he passes this off as a tribute :roll:
Pulp Fiction - fantastic film and deservedly up there with the great films of all time.
Jackie Brown - underrated.
Kill Bill - long drawn out rubbish.
Inglorious Basterds - Absolutely hate this film. Violent, unrealistic and a wankfest. Pitt's accent was deplorable, the whole idea of Jewish revenge insulting and the rewriting of history absolutely ridiculous. Part 1 of his white guy expunging his guilt series.
Django unchained - part 2 of white guy expunging his guilt. Even worse than IB, drawn out and so far removed from the truth it's tragic.

He wastes his talent on vanity pieces and his phanboys lap it up.

Others:
Training Day
Deer Hunter
Every Sandler movie

T.S Quint

Coach
Titanic and Avatar easily overrated.
Both wonderful technical achievements, but are incredibly weak on story and the dialogue is just awful.

For me the most overrated movie of all time would have to be 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I watched it once - was bored out of my mind.
Decided to watch it again to see if I just didn't 'get it' the first time - nope, still boring.
I gave it a third go after people insisted I watch it again because I must have missed something those other times - nope, still f**king boring.

As with the Cameron movies I mentioned above it is a spectacular technical achievement. The special effects are truly top-notch and are amazing for the time it was made.
But there is no story.
No real characters (the only one that comes close to being an actual character is HAL and he's a f**king machine).

LESStar58

Referee
What do you think is the most overrated movie of all time? What movie do critics and audiences love but just don't capture your love in the same way? You might absolutely hate the movie or just think it is not that great.

I will resist the urge to post any fantasy or science fiction movie titles as Im not a fan of the genres minus a few titles. Im not a great fan of "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings" but certainly respect their place in cinema history and the fact that they are masterpieces for fans of the genres.

I'll kick things off.

1) Frozen...Im not the biggest animated movie fan on Earth but I've seen a lot better than this average film. I will say this though....I don't think any movie in cinema history has ever been marketed as well as this one. You'd think "McDonald's" produced the movie given that they are the masters of marketing. The movie definitely gets a pass mark but nowhere near a classic.

2) Titanic....this movie was soooooo well marketed to all of the females on the planet. Problem was that the academy got sucked in as well. The movie was nothing more than a well acted soapie with amazing special effects.

3) The Rocky Horror Picture Show = Absolute cult classic....I just don't get it.

Reservoir Dogs.

chrisD

Coach
The one I can't remember the name of with every male star on earth in it in nothing roles where Jack is the bad guy responsible for every bad thing in the movie and then turns out to be working for the FBI, and everyone inexplicably gets killed off except for Wahlberg.

Rod

Bench
Agree with whoever said Big Lebowski. Also Blade Runner.

I'm reasonably easy to please when it comes to movies but those two stick as ones where I just don't get the big deal about them.