What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nomination for most overrated movie of all time

Pistol

Coach
So you haven't seen the sequal(s)?

I saw Reloaded and was bored sh*tless.

first one was so crap I didnt bother with the 2nd or third, the first one cost me two and a bit hours of my life that I wont get back

Wizardman

First Grade
What do you think is the most overrated movie of all time? What movie do critics and audiences love but just don't capture your love in the same way? You might absolutely hate the movie or just think it is not that great.

I will resist the urge to post any fantasy or science fiction movie titles as Im not a fan of the genres minus a few titles. Im not a great fan of "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings" but certainly respect their place in cinema history and the fact that they are masterpieces for fans of the genres.

I'll kick things off.

1) Frozen...Im not the biggest animated movie fan on Earth but I've seen a lot better than this average film. I will say this though....I don't think any movie in cinema history has ever been marketed as well as this one. You'd think "McDonald's" produced the movie given that they are the masters of marketing. The movie definitely gets a pass mark but nowhere near a classic.

2) Titanic....this movie was soooooo well marketed to all of the females on the planet. Problem was that the academy got sucked in as well. The movie was nothing more than a well acted soapie with amazing special effects.

3) The Rocky Horror Picture Show = Absolute cult classic....I just don't get it.

vvvrulz

Coach
Some highly rated movies which I didn't find all that great:

Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
Donnie Darko
Skyfall
Drive

Wizardman

First Grade

Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
Donnie Darko
Skyfall
Drive

I personally loved "Taxi Driver" although I understand why it can be considered overrated. The movie just fell right in the slot for me. I think De Niro uplifts the movie from okay to great...perfect actor for the role of Travis Bickle. With just about any other actor, the movie could have been dragged down to average level.

I agree with "Goodfellas". I've not seen the other three films yet.

some11

Referee
Every Oscar bait film ever.

There are ones that rightfully get shot down as transparent rubbish, then there's ones that slip through the cracks and manage to fool a few critics and/or pay some off.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
One that comes to mind recently was American Hustler, just about universally loved by critics... I just found it a snorefest

Eddie Lab

Juniors

Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
Donnie Darko
Skyfall
Drive

100% agree with this one. I can't stand this movie.

Wolf on Wallstreet. everything I read on this movie said it was a shoe in for all awards. thought it was 30-45 minutes too long and over the top.

Every Tarantino movie. They are all just terrible. Both the kill bill movies are just stupid and weird. He is truly one of the worst directors ever

vvvrulz

Coach
Wolf on Wallstreet. everything I read on this movie said it was a shoe in for all awards. thought it was 30-45 minutes too long and over the top.

I enjoyed Wolf of Wall Street for all its hammed up goofiness, it worked its own weird way.
But that's quite subjective, depends on the viewer

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Some Tarantino I like, some I don't. Respect him as a director though, very talented.

Frozen is definitely overrated. Really didn't like it.

shiznit

Coach
Just on Frozen... I can't really say I'm a big fan... But my kids go crazy over it...

That would definitely be the number 1 movie to my kids... Personally, I reckon how to train your dragon 2 is far, far better...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything Russell Crowe has been in since Gladiator
Harry Potter movies
Lord Of The Ring movies