What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Eelementary

Post Whore
Unless you're a bumbling, crotchety, racist old man, then it's just natural. I think you're giving him too much credit for being a brilliant actor when he's probably just like that.

Perhaps.

But I think there's more to him than meets the eye - he was on a very negative path roughly a decade ago, and he's completely reinvented himself.

I'm not a Trump fan, btw - I just believe he has charisma, and that makes him dangerous (especially if he wins, and goes nuts with his buddy Putin).

Gronk

Staff member
I suppose everyone who followed Jim Jones to Jonestown was an idiot?

Everyone who supported and admired Hitler before he went sadistic was a merkin?

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that.

Yes but Trump has shown his true colours. If you vote for him, don't be saying that you thought he was different or would change. I don't get the conservatives. Like Alan Jones said the other day, they all smile and say that the Trump in office will not be the same Trump you see today. How does he know that ? How can he blindly support a lunatic just because he's on the conservative side of politics ?

Kornstar

Coach
Yeah we can. I'm not talking about political parties, THEY NOMINATED DONALD F*CKING TRUMP. That would be like us wanting Kyle Sandilands to be prime minister. No where near the same situation here.

I'm not critising republicans for their political views, even though I don't fully agree with them, but the fact that they nominated Trump is just unbelievable to me.

Really? You say nowhere near the same situation and then use Kyle Sandilands as a comparison to Trump?

What were the other options? I don't know them but you seem to, so who were the better choices that were speaking to the current climate over there?

Australians seem to have this fascination of thinking they know everything about the US cause we watch their shows and see them on the news. We have no f**king clue about them unless you do extensive research. Parts of the country are borderline 3rd world, something we won't understand living in this country.

The thing is, he isn't terribly charismatic though, he panders to whatever audience is in front of him. That isn't charisma, that's manipulation.

Manipulation is part of politics.

phantom eel

First Grade
I suppose everyone who followed Jim Jones to Jonestown was an idiot?

Everyone who supported and admired Hitler before he went sadistic was a merkin?

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that.
Um, no. Those are not valid comparisons. We're talking a free choice vote here.

phantom eel

First Grade
What were the other options? I don't know them but you seem to, so who were the better choices that were speaking to the current climate over there?
The better choices are all on a different side of politics to Trump, with a different party.

As I said, anyone that votes for Trump is a merkin.

Just like anyone that voted for Bush (Sr or Jr) is a merkin. And for Reagan. Hopefully you are getting the picture here...?

phantom eel

First Grade
You don't think Hitler was voted into power by the people of Germany?
We're talking a free choice vote - when it's obvious what Trump is before people have voted him in.

Hitler was of course elected to power well before "going ballistic" (to use Eele's phrase re Jones) in the lead up to WWII.

Trump is what he is, before he has been voted to any position. So anyone that votes him in is therefore a merkin, QED.

Eelementary

Post Whore
And so the similarity to Trump is?

Nobody is forcing people to vote for that charlatan; he's winning popularity through his charisma.

I'm just saying that people have been getting sucked into politicians' blabbing for eons, because charisma goes a long way.

Hell, Winston Churchill himself once described Adolf Hitler as a "great man"...sure, the quote went on forever, but the point is that Churchill himself was seduced by Hitler's charisma and public speaking ability, and he was no idiot.

phantom eel

First Grade
Nobody is forcing people to vote for that charlatan; he's winning popularity through his charisma.
You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that he is winning popularity only among merkins - you'd have to be a merkin to be taken in by Trump's "policies".

I'm just saying that people have been getting sucked into politicians' blabbing for eons, because charisma goes a long way.

Hell, Winston Churchill himself once described Adolf Hitler as a "great man"...sure, the quote went on forever, but the point is that Churchill himself was seduced by Hitler's charisma and public speaking ability, and he was no idiot.
Sure. And also Hitler changed... but Trump is showing his true colours now, and there are still some miserable merkins that buy into it.

Kind of very much like some people here buy into what Hanson stands for?

Eelementary

Post Whore
You're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that he is winning popularity only among merkins - you'd have to be a merkin to be taken in by Trump's "policies".

Sure. And also Hitler changed... but Trump is showing his true colours now, and there are still some miserable merkins that buy into it.

Kind of very much like some people here buy into what Hanson stands for?

I agree with you that Trump is a massive tool. A huge tool, in fact - and I hope he doesn't win office.

Gronk

Staff member
Spotify pointed me to this. Trending in Au

Donald Trump makes me wanna smoke crack

eels81236

Bench
Cracking morning on the Gold Coast. I'm off to pay my taxes at the Gold Coast cup. Sun, beers and ponies. Woohoo.

Latest posts