What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Kornstar

Coach
Here's one from left field. Why does the government not pay for welfare recipients to got to CIT? Not talking free uni here, but why not have a scheme where the government pays for a certification in hospitality or tourism or whatever? Or is that a thing? I've thankfully never been on welfare so I dunno.

Because just telling folks on welfare to look for jobs and report back doesn't work, and welfare doesn't cover the costs of CIT....you need to get people more qualified.

EDIT-I just realised that to everyone else CIT is TAFE.

My sister (many years ago when she just left school) decided that she didn't want to work and was getting the dole and living the dole lifestyle and not contributing to society and getting drunk etc. everyday.

About 18 months in my parents told her to get her act together or they'd kick her out so she got free courses supplied because she was on the dole.

Those courses led to her getting a decent job with Westpac and then she left there to a much better job.

I don't consider her intelligent (in fact I consider her very dumb) and she was one of those people who you would class as unemployable while she was on the dole. But those free courses helped her get a job.......

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If that's the case they are getting paid too much welfare. Mow your neighbours grass to support your inclination to purchase recreational drugs. Welfare should be limited to the amount required for basic necessities.

its cheaper living in rural areas and it common for say 4 people to rent share, enough left over to get shit faced

all due respect but some of you guys have obviously never lived outside of the big smoke, its a big world out there

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Here's one from left field. Why does the government not pay for welfare recipients to got to CIT? Not talking free uni here, but why not have a scheme where the government pays for a certification in hospitality or tourism or whatever? Or is that a thing? I've thankfully never been on welfare so I dunno.

Because just telling folks on welfare to look for jobs and report back doesn't work, and welfare doesn't cover the costs of CIT....you need to get people more qualified.

EDIT-I just realised that to everyone else CIT is TAFE.

there are a heap of them available up here, its basically a Tafe course the the ones that are available are done by most of the people on welfare, sounds good in theory

for example I knew a bloke who did land care cert II and loved it, problem is there is about 1 vacancy every 2 years and every one who has been on welfare in those 2 years applies for the jog, about 300-400 people all with the same qualification

the courses that would be practical like carpenter, sparkie plumber etc, are not available. there are a lot of hospitality courses but same problem, bugger all vacancies and too many applicants who have the tertiary qualifications but no practical experience

so how do you get that practical experience if you cant get a job ? a lot end up moving to the gold coast if they want to work in that industry

people like sarina russo provide the courses but as they have thier head offices in the cities, the courses they provide are useless in our area

further, they enroll you in a course, which means they give you access to a website via a password, you basically have to google your course as there are no lecturers, you can email them for assistance as long as you have tons of time to wait for a reply, generally weeks, for this reason the courses do not get completed, there are no lectures or class rooms to attend and no one you can speak to if you dont understand your subject, yet according to @Gronk there is no reason to be long term unemployed

strider

Post Whore
f**kin sydney is too overcrowded - move thousands of people to the country i say, along with companies ... australia needs more cities

Bazal

Post Whore
f**kin sydney is too overcrowded - move thousands of people to the country i say, along with companies ... australia needs more cities

Don't send em to Canberra....f**king Greens controlled govt can't even control the kangaroo population, let alone deal with floods of people. It's expensive enough here already....

Noise

Coach
Country people are always whinging. They whinge about the country - no jobs, no money, nothing to do, droughts, floods, not enough rugby league games....then they whinge about the city too - too crowded, too expensive, too much traffic, too much cocaine.

Bazal

Post Whore
Country people are always whinging. They whinge about the country - no jobs, no money, nothing to do, droughts, floods, not enough rugby league games....then they whinge about the city too - too crowded, too expensive, too much cocaine.

Well that's because ice is the drug of choice in the country. Too hard to find amongst all the shitty coke in the cities.....

Happy MEel

First Grade
its cheaper living in rural areas and it common for say 4 people to rent share, enough left over to get shit faced

all due respect but some of you guys have obviously never lived outside of the big smoke, its a big world out there
I concede that I've only ever lived in the city. However, I fail to see how allowing the leftover to go towards that person getting shit faced is going to help them in the long run.

Bazal

Post Whore
I concede that I've only ever lived in the city. However, I fail to see how allowing the leftover to go towards that person getting shit faced is going to help them in the long run.

I think the point is you ultimately can't stop them....I don't fundamentally disagree with drug testing welfare recipients but at the end of the day they'll get drugs regardless. As I said earlier, it didn't take long at all for the EFT card trial to realise people were trading goods for drugs and alcohol anyway.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think the point is you ultimately can't stop them....I don't fundamentally disagree with drug testing welfare recipients but at the end of the day they'll get drugs regardless. As I said earlier, it didn't take long at all for the EFT card trial to realise people were trading goods for drugs and alcohol anyway.
True but surely it can't hurt to make it harder for them, with the risk of losing payments altogether if they repeatedly fail the test.

Bazal

Post Whore
True but surely it can't hurt to make it harder for them, with the risk of losing payments altogether if they repeatedly fail the test.

Like I said, I don't disagree. Especially in the case of some of the parents I see at work. I just think ultimately there's little use spending money on something that will wind up being reasonably pointless.

The government isn't going to pull benefits entirely. It'd be a PR nightmare. Imagine the lunatics at the Greens? "Do drugs and the govt puts you on the street!" They'd be slaughtered in the media, right or wrong.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Like I said, I don't disagree. Especially in the case of some of the parents I see at work. I just think ultimately there's little use spending money on something that will wind up being reasonably pointless.

The government isn't going to pull benefits entirely. It'd be a PR nightmare. Imagine the lunatics at the Greens? "Do drugs and the govt puts you on the street!" They'd be slaughtered in the media, right or wrong.
Yeah I see your point. I'm actually in favour of the EFTPOS card style system TBH. Yes it's not perfect and some people will always find a way around it with trading goods for alcohol and drugs but once again it makes it that little bit harder.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I dont think anyone has argued that drugs help anyone, my argument is the nanny state issue in telling people how to spend their money, I dont agree with it

also if people get taken off welfare because they fail a drug test, where do they live, on the streets ?

Happy MEel

First Grade
I dont think anyone has argued that drugs help anyone, my argument is the nanny state issue in telling people how to spend their money, I dont agree with it
We'll have to agree to disagree then on this one mate because as far as I'm concerned, if you have made the decision to seek welfare, that support should come at a cost of some personal freedoms.

Latest posts