What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

Kornstar

Coach
Suitman said:
I see this quote....

And then I see this quote....

I know which path I would follow.

The kid needs some help.
I don't know whether he has an alchohol problem or not. It hasn't really been proven that he does. Maybe he is just your stereo/typical full blooded testosterone filled young male that goes a bit silly when he gets on the drink.
Then again, maybe he's an alcho.

The worst thing we could do to him atm is to give him the big boot up the arse.

Support and counselling, maybe a big fine and suspension as well.
But I reckon we could get him back on track.
Mostly for his sake.

Suity

I am absolutely shattered and i really hope we don't boot him.

However i can understand why people want him gone, i do not but that is my opinion and i am happy for everyone else to have their opinion, i am with Suitman (apparently we can't put the "Y" at the end of your name anymore because you are not a kid) and the others who have said we should help him.

The Todd Carney treatment would be fair and he should not be able to play NRL again until the club feels he is ready!!

lewiscook

Juniors
oi everyone!
hold your horses for a sec!
i was just talking to my dad an he said that the pub in north parra that tim was suposedly at is all wrong an that the licensee of the pub has no recollection of tim being at the bar at anytime....
my dad got this information off his brother whos son is an old mate of tim an has some connections with the premiers...
im not completely sure of this info but yes; my dad seemed quite confident...

cheers....

NTHNBEACHESEEL

Juniors
And the winner out of all this? Timmy Smith, some other dud club will pick him up and give him probably 50K more than he is on now! He probably already has another club to go to! No wonder he is always smirking.......

Nikki

Coach
Kornstar said:
I am absolutely shattered and i really hope we don't boot him.

However i can understand why people want him gone, i do not but that is my opinion and i am happy for everyone else to have their opinion, i am with Suitman (apparently we can't put the "Y" at the end of your name anymore because you are not a kid) and the others who have said we should help him.

The Todd Carney treatment would be fair and he should not be able to play NRL again until the club feels he is ready!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And take a breath their Cooky.. Look a few pages back, I think there is actually a link to your story.

Look if it's true the guy needs help, he needs to go to AA. He may also have a mental problem which could be making him depressed and drinking may be his outlet.
What ever happens the guy needs help.
He must be quite low in IQ as well do this if he he is just dumb and doesn't care anymore than cut him, if he has a problem and needs help, help him.

Delboy

First Grade
I think like a lot of posters , I am torn by this issue.
I believ we have a duty of care to support players that get into troble and appear not to be able to handle these pressures.
On the other hand , there has to be discipline, and I think that Tim has shown at times he can be a bit arrogant and somewhat out of control.
My wife suggests he needs help and even things like allergy tests and dyslexia tests to see if there are issues that need to be controlled.
In a way I am with my friend, NewmanJ, in that we should try and help the young man, but he should be suspended and treated for a number of months to ensure he has conquered whatever demons are in his world.
This is a very difficult problem and an even harder decision in many ways.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lewiscook said:
oi everyone!
hold your horses for a sec!
i was just talking to my dad an he said that the pub in north parra that tim was suposedly at is all wrong an that the licensee of the pub has no recollection of tim being at the bar at anytime....
my dad got this information off his brother whos son is an old mate of tim an has some connections with the premiers...
im not completely sure of this info but yes; my dad seemed quite confident...

cheers....

there was no indication that i can see that he was inside that establishment drinking, it's what he did before that which may be the issue.

lewiscook

Juniors
oh ok...oi but eela?
the issue is he was drinking right?
is there any issues of abuse or any other un recounted misdemeanors??
an it hasnt even been confirmed yet that he was picked up by the parramatta club yet is there???
eela do you have any other information bout the night?

Stagger eel

Staff member
lewiscook said:
oh ok...oi but eela?
the issue is he was drinking right?
is there any issues of abuse or any other un recounted misdemeanors??
an it hasnt even been confirmed yet that he was picked up by the parramatta club yet is there???
eela do you have any other information bout the night?

it was an issue with alcohol you'll know more tomorrow.

Suitman

Post Whore
eelavation said:
there was no indication that i can see that he was inside that establishment drinking, it's what he did before that which may be the issue.

So tell us, or don't say anything to be honest.
As a Mod, I would have thought you'd live by that rule.

Suity

if this turns out to be true and tim was out drinking again just days after being put on an alcohol ban then in my opinion either he is an alcoholic who can't stop himself from drinking or he thinks he is invincible and the club don't have the guts to fire him i honestly have no idea what the club should do its a big big call to make

p.s. if this turns out to be bullsh*t tim should sue the living hell out of the telegraph, make them spend so much time in court they know the names of all the cleaners kids

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
So tell us, or don't say anything to be honest.
As a Mod, I would have thought you'd live by that rule.

Suity

tell us what??? I'm refering to media reports which is all we can do at the moment.

I won't be sharing what i know and I don't have to...

Fathead

Bench
WEll just told my missus... who knows bugger all about footie but a bit about life. She reckons that it was all a plan to get booted by the eels to be picked up by someone else... Maybe so....

TheParraboy

Staff member
Fathead said:
WEll just told my missus... who knows bugger all about footie but a bit about life. She reckons that it was all a plan to get booted by the eels to be picked up by someone else... Maybe so....

sorta like a minus 270 degrees willie mason scenario ? :crazy:

Eelectrica

Referee
To me Tim Smith getting drunk a week or so after the club let him off the hook and pledged to help shows a complete lack of respect to the club and the fans who were also willing to support him.

That's why I changed my mind from helping him to getting rid of him.

Also I'd be very surprised if another club picked him straight up, either here or in England. Now if after the season begins a clubs no. 1 HB goes dow, they might think of Tim Smith sitting in a pub somewhere, clean him up and sign him up for the rest of the year.

ParraManiac

Juniors
newmanj said:
At the risk of being accused of being as silly as Timmy, i for one would not be abandoning him in his hour of need. Obviously the kid has a problem, and whether we like it or not, the problem has become a large one of late. The kid needs professional help, and fast. He is not beyond fixing, but i say he should be suspended indefinitely, as per Chris Walker, Todd Carney. Once he has proven to be cured, he then should be considered for reinstatement to the team. It will do him no good to be cut and go to a new team where he will not be CURED. I feel we owe it to him to help him. I know i am going to be told that he is a fool, etc etc etc, but he hasnt been properly treated for a very serious problem.

I have passed this sentiment on to Ovo in the last 30 minutes, and i believe he is fronting the club in the morning with his manager.

It is great to see some common sense here, not just emotions taking over. Of course we should be pissed off at him, but this is part of a bigger problem affecting young rugby league players who earn too much money. Andrew Johns is a great case in point, the Knights went about it the wrong way they should have outed him, but then helped him through it.

Sacking Tim Smith fixes nothing, it justs means that at some point he will be used against us. Why cant the club help a young kid get his life on track?

Sure he needs some strong discipline and sanctions (half the season in lower grades?). Sacking him is a soft option and an easy way out!

After thinking about this for a while (last couple of hours), It would be wrong to sack him. IF all this is true and he was pissed then he neds HELP and not the sack.

This isn't about football anymore we are talking about someones future / life. Think of the implications if he is suffering depression and he does self harm.

Fathead

Bench
IF it is established that he has been out drinking again and that is IF .. then its out the door with him. I would like the NRL to then stop him playing for another club. Going out playing for some pub team may teach him how easy it is to lose what many strive for. He will meet blokes who would give their left nut for half the chances that Tim had.

The integrity of the club is at stake here, which is bigger than any individual player. Losing him will hurt us but it will hurt us more if we dont.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
After thinking about this for a while (last couple of hours), It would be wrong to sack him. IF all this is true and he was pissed then he neds HELP and not the sack.

This isn't about football anymore we are talking about someones future / life. Think of the implications if he is suffering depression and he does self harm.

we should of done that lastweek..the club shot itself in the foot by not acting the same way that Canberra did with Carney.

At the very least..and i mean the very least, we should ban him of all kind of football, training, promotional activities and other things involving the club for 6 months...get him help than on the re-aases him again before we make a decision on his playing future..

but even that could be seen as weak after last weeks slap on the wrist.

Latest posts