What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOT AGAIN!! Tim drinking already??/ Suspended indefinitely

eel4life

Juniors
They way the boys are sticking by Tim, i hope he gets this sorted out .

They other kids we have are to young to be just thrown in, NRL is a difficult game for people who have the experience, our best option will be Finch and Mateo in the halves for now, something stable for the team.

I just do not want him sacked.

Maybe and hopefully this is the lowest point for him and he becomes better for it, otherwise another wasted talent.

bartman

Immortal
Good move by Tim and the club, full time rehab is what we're talking about, none of this AA meeting stuff, Tim needs more. Time away from a culture where mates don't help him in his situation is probably going to do him a world of good.

Sounds like more of an intervention by the club than a meeting, indefinite suspension means Tim's playing future is in his hands if he commits to the support he will be getting, then the door is open. The easy way out (sacking/resigning and going elsewhere) looks like it wasn't an option, and that's in Tim's best interest to be honest.

Whether it's in the club's best long term interest given their investment in Tim, is now entirely in Tim's hands...

Hellsy

Immortal
and in any case Tim was injured and was set to be out for the first few rounds anyway... so....

Kenny

Juniors
Denis Fitzgerald is on 2GB now. Tim Smith has checked himself into a rehab clinic voluntarily. His contract has been suspended so he won't be paid. But he has left it open for him to remain with the club. DF indicated that he intended to terminate his contract but since he voluntarily checked himself in to a rehab centre they are no longer going to take that action. If he gets through rehab successfully he will remain with the club

So he will back by round 1- gees if a normal person did this they would have sacked the first time not given unlimited chances as this bloke has been.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
bartman said:
Good move by Tim and the club, full time rehab is what we're talking about, none of this AA meeting stuff, Tim needs more. Time away from a culture where mates don't help him in his situation is probably going to do him a world of good.

Sounds like more of an intervention by the club than a meeting, indefinite suspension means Tim's playing future is in his hands if he commits to the support he will be getting, then the door is open. The easy way out (sacking/resigning and going elsewhere) looks like it wasn't an option, and that's in Tim's best interest to be honest.

Whether it's in the club's best long term interest given their investment in Tim, is now entirely in Tim's hands...

You're saying Tim a lot :?

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
Well there are 25 pages here of people who wanted him sacked. You all must be very disappointed.

I think he is very lucky.

I didnt 'want' him sacked, but had thought the club may have been backed into a corner. I would never want to see someone sacked when they obviously have issues, but sometimes organisations have no choice.

Atleast he will be in rehab and away from football.

I do think we have a problem with the culture of our club though, and I would be disappointed if nothing is done to address that.

Glenn

First Grade
Gronk said:
Well there are 25 pages here of people who wanted him sacked. You all must be very disappointed.

Not every page wanted him sacked, just a few people with different opinions.
At least the club is prepared to stand by him, and help him out how ever possible. Just hope it doesn't all blow up in the face of the club a la Ben Cousins @ West Coast.

bradeel

Juniors
marshall stalin said:
So he will back by round 1- gees if a normal person did this they would have sacked the first time not given unlimited chances as this bloke has been.

I can see your disappointment - hoping that your mob could pick him up eh?

One of the very good reasons for us not to give him the flick totally.

emjaycee

Coach
Gronk said:

Actually Gronk there are 25 pages here of people who were disappointed in:
- Tim
- his teammates who havent given him enough support
- his manager
- club management
- the telecrap's reporting of this incident

The outcome we have seen this morning is a good one for all as long as Tim does do something to willingly fight his addiction.

I know people who used to be addicted to heroin and only broke it with dedication, support and a strong desire. That meant staying away from the temptation - something maybe Tim should start doing instead of going out to places where his weakness is laid out in front of him as a temptation he cant say no to.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Not true, I worked with a bloke who came in drunk about once a month for 20 years and finally got sacked last year because of it. lol Little different I know.

Hellsy

Immortal
marshall stalin said:

Considering he was never going to be back for Round 1 anyway due to off season surgery...........

The Engineers Room

First Grade
marshall stalin said:

I garantee he will not play round 1 in the NRL.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Hellsy said:
I reckon Feleti will be in 6 and Finch in 7 before Trent comes up

Not saying he is going to play round 1 next year but I think that this may mean he will play first grade earlier than expected, maybe by 2009.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
great move, who cares about footy in this situation, the guys life and health is at risk...it is more important than footy

Kornstar

Coach
The only problem he (and anyone in his situation) faces is that he will be coming back to a culture of drinking, that is fact!

How can you not fall back into the same old routine?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm Happy that Tim has checked himself to a clinic..
I'm glad he's suspended without pay and also glad that football should be on the back burner for a while until he fixes himself up.
This should of been done last week...

Yesterday I was extrmely angry at Tim and the club...today I feel very meloncholie but at the moment I'm proud of the club and the young kid for the move they've mate and wish the kid all the best in the future.

Time to get on with life.