What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not getting ahead of ourselves but….

mickt

Juniors
I say don’t get ahead of our selves. Don’t sign Ryles like we did Price, McGreggor and Hook.
Don’t make any rash decisions and stuff up our next five years.
I’ve heard Carr speak a few times now and he has impressed.
just maybe we have the right coach as apposed to a name coach.
Remember Ryles has a good consistent record of being a bonehead.
And five years. - for me 3 AT BEST!!!
Baby steps. Our management also have a consistent track of bonehead decisions
I’m shocked that you are the only one who brings up Ryles being a moron!
I just said this in the coach post!
I used to scream at Ryles on the tv for being an idiot, always trying stupid passes, dropping the ball, or other bonehead plays!
I was shocked when they said “Ryles is the man, and is looking at 5 years”!
Have they completely lost their mind!
He may turn into a brilliant coach but ffs, he was a massive bonehead ad a player!
What the deal with saints always doing the rookie old boy deal!!
1 time in my 48 years we get a genuine elite coach in Bennett and we win the title, with a team now where near as good as 2005 team!
2005 (Aussie players , 2 props, 5/8, 2 centres etc)!
If Bennet coaches from 2004 to 2012 we win at least 3 titles!
But nup, let’s go for a rookie old untested phenom in Bonehead Ryles!
I swear this saints board is deadset trolling us at this stage!
Surely they must be!
Ryles the Rhodes Scholar and football genius!
They’re saying 5 years, let’s give him 20 and on 3 million a year!🤦‍♂️

denis preston

First Grade
I used to scream at Ryles on the tv for being an idiot, always trying stupid passes, dropping the ball, or other bonehead plays!
He may turn into a brilliant coach but ffs, he was a massive bonehead ad a player!
1 time in my 48 years we get a genuine elite coach in Bennett and we win the title, with a team now where near as good as 2005 team!
Surely they must be!
Shouldn’t you be back on Facebook ?

Crush

Coach
Surely they must be!
Who would you like to see appointed coach?

Crush

Coach
Very depressing on the forum atm.
Chin up I say, we aren’t going to win ‘em all, look for green shoots, understand that change is finally coming, things will improve.
Still plenty of time this year to drag ourselves out of this hole.
First step, a strong step, would be to send Bird back to reserve grade next week.

denis preston

First Grade
Very depressing on the forum atm.
Chin up I say, we aren’t going to win ‘em all, look for green shoots, understand that change is finally coming, things will improve.
Still plenty of time this year to drag ourselves out of this hole.
First step, a strong step, would be to send Bird back to reserve grade next week.
With Amone. We have just got to focus on who in Reggie’s deserve a call up. Good test for Carr now as a tweak is needed.

After last night’s ordinary effort it would be very hard to get ahead of ourselves but no doubt we will find a way to do it yet again.

The good old “they have to get 50 games under their belt before we judge them”logic will ensue that misery will continue to be the outcome for false optimism.
A few seasons ago when LOMAX first came on the scene I thought he was the next best thing in the way of centers but he, like the club have gone backwards. I would class him as ordinary now like most of his team mates. There has been no progress in any area really. The only one would be Ramsay who was doing well until illness overcame him, sad really.

Dragon David

First Grade
A few seasons ago when LOMAX first came on the scene I thought he was the next best thing in the way of centers but he, like the club have gone backwards. I would class him as ordinary now like most of his team mates. There has been no progress in any area really. The only one would be Ramsay who was doing well until illness overcame him, sad really.
...and to me they really seem to be lost and their skill levels dropped. Lomax to me didn't have those qualities like we had in Gasnier and Cooper. He showed a lot of promise but now its reserve grade stuff from him. Our players just don't have much going for them and every time I watch them I feel unexcited because there isn't anybody really to say "I can't wait to see him shine again today". We don't have anyone to bring us to stand up and cheer in the past couple of years. Dufty had it, but let us down defence wise.

I just hope that the new coach will determine the best players we need and the worst players to get rid of in conjunction with a top recruitment/scout guy. No more has beens and rejects please.

TruSaint

Referee
Surely they must be!

The "moron and "bonehead" you refer to played for Australia from 21 years of age, in the toughest f**king position on the field.

15 Caps for Aus and 8 for Origin.

The way some people remember him is always for the occasional dumb penalty, but forget that he was our one enforcer who put it all on the line. Talented, hard working, had an excellent offload, and brutal in defence. Give me his emotion to the badge along with an occasional error anyday.

Anyone who has the pleasure of meeting him, as I have had the fortune of doing, will tell you he's no knucklehead and is quite astute.

For all his "fan faults", we could do with a more like him to replace a few of the mash potatoes we have up front.

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
The "moron and "bonehead" you refer to played for Australia from 21 years of age, in the toughest f**king position on the field.

The way some people remember him is always for the occasional dumb penalty, but forget that he was our one enforcer who put it all on the line. Talented, hard working, had an excellent offload, and brutal in defence. Give me his emotion to the badge along with an occasional error anyday.

Anyone who has the pleasure of meeting him, as I have had the fortune of doing, will tell you he's no knucklehead and is quite astute.

For all his "fan faults", we could do with a more like him to replace a few of the mash potatoes we have up front.
Hear hear

jak

Bench

great post mate, if a front rower doesn't get penalized on a regular basis then he is not a front rower.

Victoire

Juniors

Ryles is also responsible for one of the greatest quotes in rugby league history. After the 9/11 attacks, some players (Shane Webcke for example) were pulling out of the upcoming Kangaroo tour over terrorism fears. When they asked Jason Ryles if he was going to withdraw, he answered: "I'd play in Afghanistan if they wanted me to"

TruSaint

Referee
Ryles is also responsible for one of the greatest quotes in rugby league history. After the 9/11 attacks, some players (Shane Webcke for example) were pulling out of the upcoming Kangaroo tour over terrorism fears. When they asked Jason Ryles if he was going to withdraw, he answered: "I'd play in Afghanistan if they wanted me to"

I read that in Petero's " My Story ", quoting exactly what Jason said and saying he would join him.

Mjab

Juniors
Nathan Brown is absolute mud in terms of playing level. Corey Allan occasionally sits on the roosters’ bench. Turpin made their starting side. Ben Thomas and Terrell May play often in first grade. If that doesn’t show you a lack of depth in that side I don’t know what will. The roosters have a lot of quality players, but have invested their whole cap in an unbelievably elite 17. Injuries and suspensions kill them. Plus their “stars” aren’t hitting their straps. Their depth is a massive issue for them, if not the main issue.
You have to remember though they have far better depth than saints
we are a disgrace

Latest posts