What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sold on the Roosters yet...

afinalsin666

First Grade
Still funny that people think players earning a million dollars plus would discuss their money with the other players. Sure that works when everybody is earning 20 bucks an hour at the construction site, but when it gets to the multi hundred k contracts, you don't want Slater to know how much Smith is getting, because a) It would hurt morale if he was getting paid less, and b) Slater would be in a position to argue that he is worth the same amount.

Now, i say they definitely knew they were getting paid a bit on the side, but they didn't know the others were also getting a little something something. They wouldn't know the make up of the other guys salaries, so how could they know they were over the cap? I dare say smith didn't go around quizzing the others about how much they earn so he could calculate that shit ffs.

GONZO72

Juniors
Players know if they are signing two contracts . They knew exactly what they were doing. They just didnt expect to get caught out. Greg Inglis was given a boat . I know he's not the smartest cookie in the jar, but please, you can't tell me, he wasn't aware of unusual happenings.
Has anybody read the extracts from the book about the Melbourne storm salary cap? Have a read of it., it might change your mind.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Oh they knew they were getting paid extras, I just doubt they knew the others were getting extras as well.

MSIH

Bench
Still funny that people think players earning a million dollars plus would discuss their money with the other players. Sure that works when everybody is earning 20 bucks an hour at the construction site, but when it gets to the multi hundred k contracts, you don't want Slater to know how much Smith is getting, because a) It would hurt morale if he was getting paid less, and b) Slater would be in a position to argue that he is worth the same amount.

Now, i say they definitely knew they were getting paid a bit on the side, but they didn't know the others were also getting a little something something. They wouldn't know the make up of the other guys salaries, so how could they know they were over the cap? I dare say smith didn't go around quizzing the others about how much they earn so he could calculate that shit ffs.

Some of those blokes* are cluey enough to realise, "hey, if I'm getting a bit on the side, then they're probably doing the same with others". They'd also ask themselves, "why would they need to pay me anything on the side if everything is legit"?

* Inglis excluded for obvious reasons

hqdefault.jpg

GONZO72

Juniors
Absolutely. Would you say anything if you were getting 200K extra? Of course not. The players are as guilty as the officials behind it.

GONZO72

Juniors
Oh they knew they were getting paid extras, I just doubt they knew the others were getting extras as well.

You honestly think players don't talk? Has anyone read the book re the storm salary cap scandal ?
If you have read it, you will have a different opinion. The players all knew what was going on. They loved GI 's boat

afinalsin666

First Grade
Even still, it's not against the rules for the players to take the money. It's against the rules for the club to not document it and show the NRL. They could pay the players in 5.5 million dollars of chicken nuggets if they felt like it and the players agreed, as long as it's not over the cap.

It can't be cheating if it's not against the rules, ergo, the players aren't cheaters. The club is a cheater as a whole.

Bulldog Force

Referee
smileyvault-popcorn.gif

Thoroughly enjoying this unforeseen entertainment. How do we go from me talking about the Roosters not convincing me yet to multiple users arguing about the Storms salary cap scandal from over 3 years ago??

GONZO72

Juniors
Even still, it's not against the rules for the players to take the money. It's against the rules for the club to not document it and show the NRL. They could pay the players in 5.5 million dollars of chicken nuggets if they felt like it and the players agreed, as long as it's not over the cap.

It can't be cheating if it's not against the rules, ergo, the players aren't cheaters. The club is a cheater as a whole.

So by your logic. I can come across stolen goods, sell it to someone at a cheap price, he knows about it, by that's okay by law.

The only reason why the players got off with no repercussions, is because the NRL felt they had punished the club enough. I find it amusing when I hear the likes of Bellamy, Smith, Slater etc, say.....I have the ring, I've got the DVD of our win, I my mind we have still won those premierships .

Heeeeeeeeeeelllo, no you haven't . Just as lance Armstrong , Ben Johnson lost their records, so have the storm.

BranVan3000

Coach
Some of those blokes* are cluey enough to realise, "hey, if I'm getting a bit on the side, then they're probably doing the same with others". They'd also ask themselves, "why would they need to pay me anything on the side if everything is legit"?

* Inglis excluded for obvious reasons

hqdefault.jpg

Please explain what "on the side" means?

ek999

First Grade
Why wouldn't players question why their actual remuneration is more then what was on the official NRL contract?

afinalsin666

First Grade
So by your logic. I can come across stolen goods, sell it to someone at a cheap price, he knows about it, by that's okay by law.

The only reason why the players got off with no repercussions, is because the NRL felt they had punished the club enough. I find it amusing when I hear the likes of Bellamy, Smith, Slater etc, say.....I have the ring, I've got the DVD of our win, I my mind we have still won those premierships .

Heeeeeeeeeeelllo, no you haven't . Just as lance Armstrong , Ben Johnson lost their records, so have the storm.

Nope, because that's against the law. Against the rules. There isn't a rule against multiple contacts, as long as the club lodges them with the NRL. A player can have 14 contacts, as long as they are all cleared by the NRL it's no problem.