What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now Gower's being accused of sexual harrassment

brook

First Grade
ozzie said:
reported n 2KY this morning it's a possibility that his punishment is 1/4 of his yearly salary

yeah thats the max penalty they can give

my guess is it wont be anywhere near that much - probably more along the lines of a 10k fine and maybe standing down from the captaincy

Chook

First Grade
Pantherjim. said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah my sides are aching!

Thanks for the comedy Chook!

You still think it's funny laughing boy? Penrith Club Captain Craig "Groper" Gower has "unreservedly apologised" for his actions, do you still think they are funny jim?

Chook.

innsaneink

Referee
Im sure if I groped a woman in a shopping center or on a bus that I'd most likely be charged with sexual assault....no? Maybe indecent assault?

Then theres the fact shes a minor, legally still a child....I think if I did this to a child I'd be looking at a possible jail term....no?

Steel Dragon

Bench
innsaneink said:
Then theres the fact shes a minor, legally still a child....I think if I did this to a child I'd be looking at a possible jail term....no?

I dont mean to offend, but Gower (EDIT - allegedly -) gropes a girl (albeit an underage one) and youre calling for jail?

The bulldogs, for their early season shennannigans, get more or less a slap on the wrist.

Something is wrong (probably with society) when celebrities are getting treated differently, simply because of their stature. Not just in league but Hollywood etc.

My guess is Gower will be given a big fine, lose the captaincy, and we wont hear boo about it again. Which is wrong.

There is far too much drunken crap that is going on in league and giving it a bad name. On one hand, much of the stuff that happens is stuff that happens outside of the sport - ie Gaz's obscene phone call. Im sure alot of people ot there have either made a similar call, or know of someone that has while on the p!ss, or drunkenly dared a mate to grope some chick*. On the other the players need to realise they are public figures and to some extent role models and need to be more careful.

* (Steel Dragon wishes to advise that he does not condone the afore mentioned activities, but does realise that they can be pretty funny when youre sh!tfaced with mates)

x

[furrycat]

Coach
Steel Dragon said:
I dont mean to offend, but Gower gropes a girl (albeit an underage one) and youre calling for jail?

The bulldogs, for their early season shennannigans, get more or less a slap on the wrist.

Something is wrong (probably with society) when celebrities are getting treated differently, simply because of their stature. Not just in league but Hollywood etc.

My guess is Gower will be given a big fine, lose the captaincy, and we wont hear boo about it again. Which is wrong.

There is far too much drunken crap that is going on in league and giving it a bad name. On one hand, much of the stuff that happens is stuff that happens outside of the sport - ie Gaz's obscene phone call. Im sure alot of people ot there have either made a similar call, or know of someone that has while on the p!ss, or drunkenly dared a mate to grope some chick*. On the other the players need to realise they are public figures and to some extent role models and need to be more careful.

* (Steel Dragon wishes to advise that he does not condone the afore mentioned activities, but does realise that they can be pretty funny when youre sh!tfaced with mates)

x

Correct me if I am wrong...
Were there any charges or evidence found to substantiate the claims?
No?
There is the difference.
If it is found Gower has committed a crime, he could face a jail sentence but it is unlikely.

innsaneink

Referee
I dont mean to offend, but Gower (EDIT - allegedly-) gropes a girl (albeit an underage one) and youre calling for jail?

Why not....if you or I did it thats what we'd be lookin at.

Why shouldnt he have a criminal record at the least....hes shown hes habitual.

brook

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Im sure if I groped a woman in a shopping center or on a bus that I'd most likely be charged with sexual assault....no? Maybe indecent assault?

she's over the age of consent (in NSW anyway) so I'm pretty sure that legally it'd be treated the same as if he did it to an adult.

Still could be charged if the Pearce family decided to but I'd say thats highly unlikely.

Steel Dragon

Bench
innsaneink said:
Why not....if you or I did it thats what we'd be lookin at.

Why shouldnt he have a criminal record at the least....hes shown hes habitual.

I dunno about the legalities exactly - or for that matter what actually went down between Gower and Miss Pearce, but if it was just groping and not molestation, I dont think jail would be given, regardless of who it was. There would be a severe fine and probation, and considering it was a first offence (i sincerely hope it is anyway - for you and I) i think the courts would disregard jail time.

x

innsaneink

Referee
Steel Dragon said:
I dunno about the legalities exactly - or for that matter what actually went down between Gower and Miss Pearce, but if it was just groping and not molestation, I dont think jail would be given, regardless of who it was. There would be a severe fine and probation, and considering it was a first offence (i sincerely hope it is anyway - for you and I) i think the courts would disregard jail time.

x

Yeah...I know the woulds and shoulds, what will likely happen is not probably what should happen....but I think if he is guilty of this he should cop at least a crim record of it.

Fibroman

First Grade
innsaneink said:

You will find that 16 is the demarkation age.

To constitute an indecent assault, the groping would need to be in the genital or breast region, otherwise it is just a plain old assault.

I think we still spell it........gaol.....in Australia.

Realistically for a first offence involving a minor assault on a 17 year old, you would be looking at a fine or a good behaviour bond.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Realistically, wouldnt the police have to be involved to charge someone? Considering there was no complaint to the police, I doubt that would happen.

Although Gower has apologised, late that it may be and after a full investigation has taken place, the apology was indeed an apology for any discomfort he may have caused the PEARCE family.

Until we hear word from Penrith, I'm afraid the "groping" is still "alleged" and it must remain so until otherwise stated.

innsaneink

Referee
PK said:
Realistically, wouldnt the police have to be involved to charge someone? Considering there was no complaint to the police, I doubt that would happen.

Although Gower has apologised, late that it may be and after a full investigation has taken place, the apology was indeed an apology for any discomfort he may have caused the PEARCE family.

Until we hear word from Penrith, I'm afraid the "groping" is still "alleged" and it must remain so until otherwise stated.

ostrich.gif

*Sandy*

First Grade
Innsanienk, I wish I could honestly. And I wish this could all go away. I wish it wasnt the captain of my team.

I'm only stressing that they are still alleged and there could be ramifications if we don't remain so.

Hopefully we should hear something today, but being he's apologised now, it doesnt look good for the penrith fans.

ng_1981

Juniors
As a Penrith supporter I was bitterly disappointed to hear what had happened, however the most distressing thing was...I wasn't surprised by it at all. If the allegations are proven to be true I believe Gower should, at the very least, be stripped of his captaincy.

I understand that it must be difficult to live in the public eye, but they must realise, fair or not, it's reality. And it might do some of them good to remember, if Channel 9 didn't televise games, if the newspapers didn't report on rugby league, their identities wouldn't be household names and therefore their indiscretions wouldn't be public knowledge...but their salaries would decline significantly. You sacrifice part of your privacy when you choose a career like they have.

I also think some of the decisions that have been made in relation to this incident haven't helped. Who's bright idea was it to have a buck's night (notorious things to begin with), at a highly publicised charity event, with representatives from the media at every turn. I think just bad judgement on someone's behalf. And the change in attitude from Day 1 til today, first it was "absurd rumours", then it was no comment, then he was suing, now he's apologising, conveniently the day before a full report on his alleged incidents is being presented to his club. Doesn't look good from where I sit...and that's a huge shame for Penrith and the rugby league community in general.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Do you think that because Gower is a higher profile player he will be treated differently to Dane Tilse? Or deserves to be treated different?

x

The Colonel

Immortal
Steel Dragon said:
Do you think that because Gower is a higher profile player he will be treated differently to Dane Tilse? Or deserves to be treated different?

x

Will he be treated differently? Of course he will - he is an Australian player who is crucial to his sides performance. Tilse was an up and coming player and not yet a fully fledged member of the first grade side. Tilse was a scapegoat for both the Knights and the NRL to show that they will punish someone to the full extent.

Does he deserve to be? No - if he is guilty of what is alleged he deserves to be punished in a similar way to Tilse. If the NRL are going to be genuine about stamping out problems of this ilk then he has to be de-registered for six months at the very least. Otherwise it sends a mixed message to the players and the fans....

KFC

Juniors
ng_1981 said:
As a Penrith supporter I was bitterly disappointed to hear what had happened, however the most distressing thing was...I wasn't surprised by it at all.

Great post ng_1981 you make some very good points but I'm curious as to why you weren't surprised?

BTW I don't feel this incident reflects badly on the Penrith Club, Gower is his own man.

choc_soldier

Coach
I would like to think it doesn't reflect bad on the club, but as their captain and perhaps most recognisable player, that may not be possible.

There was that much publicised flashing incident in 1999, so I guess Gower has history in this regard. But I was surprised and also disappointed when the news broke about this.

I just hope that the Panthers hand out a firm penalty.

Latest posts