What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now Gower's being accused of sexual harrassment

Shark

Bench
This is the link to the article I referred to:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/board-backing-gower-despite-assault-evidence/2006/01/02/1136050394672.html

Board backing Gower despite assault evidence
By Jacquelin Magnay
January 3, 2006

THE woman at the centre of the Craig Gower controversy has given damning evidence to Penrith officials of indecent assault, but there is strong support among Panthers board members for the star halfback to retain his captaincy of the club.

Tatum Pearce, the 18-year-old daughter of Balmain great Wayne Pearce, told Penrith general manager and investigator Mick Leary that a drunken Gower had put his hand in her crotch at a poolside bar at the Twin Waters resort on the Sunshine Coast on December 19. During the interview, Leary asked her to be specific about exactly where Gower had put his hand, and she replied: "On my vagina." There were no witnesses to the incident.

Penrith board members have been given copies of the Leary report, which details the evidence from Pearce and second-hand evidence from swimming legend Dawn Fraser, who consoled Pearce immediately afterwards. Fraser told Leary that Pearce was greatly upset and embarrassed by Gower's behaviour.

Gower has been summoned to a Penrith board meeting tomorrow night to explain his actions. The player, who has the right to legal representation at the meeting, has previously claimed he cannot remember anything from that night.

The Leary report has largely cleared Gower of other allegations, including those that involved throwing a knife and the pursuit of Wayne Pearce's son Mitchell with a beer bottle.

Mitchell Pearce approached a group of people who were with Gower and told them to control the footballer. Gower then acted in a menacing way while holding a beer bottle.

Leary has statements from witnesses who saw Gower naked around the hotel but staff said such sightings of guests were relatively common. Golf club officials have also said the player was welcome back to the course at any time.

Gower also caused minor damage to a golf cart when he hit a rock on the course, but club officials said this was a regular problem that was of no concern.

However, the reluctance of Tatum Pearce and her father to take further action, including making a police report, is behind a push to save Gower's captaincy.

It is understood a majority of the board wants to fine Gower substantially - more than $30,000, to be donated to charity - but allow him to stay on as captain because he has publicly apologised.

Gower has not seen the Leary report and could not be contacted yesterday. Last week, he issued a statement that said:"With regard to an incident at Twin Waters last Monday, December 19, to the extent that I have caused the Pearce family any discomfort, I unreservedly apologise."

The Penrith board is chaired by Barry Walsh and includes premiership-winning players Greg Alexander, Col Bentley and former senior deputy state coroner John Hiatt.

NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday said he was waiting for the club to complete the investigation process.

"After that the club will report to the NRL and we expect that report will include the full Mick Leary investigation and findings," Gallop said.

The NRL last year refused to register Knights rookie Dane Tilse, who had been sacked from the Newcastle club after a drunken night out that involved him breaking into university students' quarters and waking a sleeping female. The Knights were also fined $200,000. The NRL has allowed Tilse to sign with the Raiders for 2006.

Gower, who is marrying former cheerleader Amanda Flynn this month, has a history of alcohol-related issues, having been sacked from the Australian team in 1999 after exposing himself at the Coogee Bay Hotel. For that he was fined $10,000 but was subsequently picked to play 16 Tests from 1999 to 2005. In 2004, he was fined by the NSW Rugby League for not observing the curfew of the NSW Origin team.

innsaneink

Referee

Shark

Bench
I dunno mate, it's a pretty straightforward quote I think...And by the looks of it, it has come straight from Leary's report. Someone at Panthers, maybe a cranky Anti-Gower board member, may have leaked it?

Huh?

sooperdooper

First Grade
all i can say is let them sort it out the amount of punishment he receives will show...
but i may just add how much i hate dawn fraser

Pantherjim.

Referee
innsaneink said:
No I wasnt there....I read it in the media, but I guess you dont even believe your clubs chairmans quotes, youre that paranoid.
It was there for everyone to read. He publicly stated Goewers got a case to answer.
God your a f**kin fool. Why dont you stop wasting yours and everyone elses time with you stupid , deflecting, answer a question with a question, posts.

You're the f*cking fool when you think that Barry's statement that Craig has "a case to answer" qualifies as an admission of guilt for Gowie allegedly feeling up a 17 year old girl.

But you're right about one thing: I've been wasting my time. Waisting my time explaining my position and rationalising the case to bandwagon imbeciles like yourself. I can't make it any clearer unless I revert to using finger puppets and diagrams, and I'm not about to.

I have a much simpler excercise for you Ink.

Here's a ball: :f: Go test out your hand/eye/foot coordination.

Preferably on the Eastern Distributor.

innsaneink

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
You're the f*cking fool when you think that Barry's statement that Craig has "a case to answer" qualifies as an admission of guilt for Gowie allegedly feeling up a 17 year old girl.

But you're right about one thing: I've been wasting my time. Waisting my time explaining my position and rationalising the case to bandwagon imbeciles like yourself. I can't make it any clearer unless I revert to using finger puppets and diagrams, and I'm not about to.

I have a much simpler excercise for you Ink.

Here's a ball: :f: Go test out your hand/eye/foot coordination.

Preferably on the Eastern Distributor.

I didnt say it qualifies as an admission of guilt.....ther you go again twisting things to suit yourself.

You asked...

Yep, You were at the board meeting last week when Barry Walsh decided that Craig had a "Case to answer" weren't you Ink?

I replied....

No I wasnt there....I read it in the media, but I guess you dont even believe your clubs chairmans quotes, youre that paranoid.
It was there for everyone to read. He publicly stated Goewers got a case to answer.

Again....where did I say it equals an admission?

PS: Get a new insult, just changing it from the Light Horse interchange to the eastern Distributor....lame mate, lame.:lol: __________________

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The Mighty Panther said:
:-k

Agreed PK

I also have a daughter, and I know for damn sure that if this happened to her, I would have to be restrained with something stronger than a straight jacket to prevent me from annihilating whoever the jerk was.

His nuts on a platter would be the least of his worries.............

The reason why a lot of domestice abuse and alledged rape cases never make it to court.. The absense of proof that it actually happened. Whether what is alledged happened or not, if there is no proof, a conviction would be unlikely and there is a good chance the Pearce's would be liable for all or at least a fair proportion of the legal expenses, not too mention the fact that Tatum Pearce would be thrust into the media spotlight for an incident she is reportedly deeply embarrassed about.

To suggest the fact that the Pearce's are not going on with it is a sign the incident never happened is naive in the extreme..

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Danish said:
No offence mate but the punishment being discussed (according to the papers) is a $30K fine and he still keeps the captaincy.

A bit more than the truly lame punishments dished out by the roosters, Dragons, dogs and various other clubs in recent years....... but still a slap on the wrist none the less when considering his pay packet. Hell any fine is IMO. Suspension are a much fairer form of punishment.

But really no other club has taken that sort of action so why should Penrith start. It should really be the NRL leading he investigation into these incidents in the first place.

Newcastle and the Dane Tilse is a precedent. The NRL deregistered his contract.. IMHO, the NRL, not Penrith should be conducting the investigation. He has brought the game of Rugby League, not just Penrith into disrepute with the allegations. Penrith have no vested interest in suspending Gower and as a result most certainly will not do so.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
OVP said:
This thread is UTTER bollocks. How many League players have been in a comprising position ? Answer : sh*tloads.

Brad Fittler is a good example, he was found HAMMERED outside a police station in Nth Sydney. Why should Gower be treated any differently ? People make mistakes, and unless YOU realise that, you're simply not human and your opinion is worthless.

Jesus, hasnt he been crucified enough ? Leave the guy alone ffs.

There is a big difference between being found drunk outside a police station and sexually assaulting a teenage girl. If that happened to your daughter would you take the same stance? I doubt it..

Danish

Referee
May i just ask quickly where any of you got the idea that just because there were no witnesses to the act it meant somehow Gower could never be charged or found guilty of it????

It just seems odd that so many of you believe that is true

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Danish said:
May i just ask quickly where any of you got the idea that just because there were no witnesses to the act it meant somehow Gower could never be charged or found guilty of it????

It just seems odd that so many of you believe that is true

Unlikely to be charged..

ng_1981

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
ok a few things:

3) Do you know categorically that she is not elaborating the event? I'm not saying she definately is, but surely that has got to be an option with the lack of evidence and lack of action taken with regards to police.

Have you ever been the victim of a sexual assault? If not I suggest you stop using her unwillingness to go to the police as a possible factor to suggest she is lying. Crime statistics show that there are hundreds of sexual assaults that go unreported every year simply because victims are too scared to come forward and because generally there can be very little physical evidence. Add to that the fact that her humiliation would be made very public due to who it involves, she would be up against a man who can afford excellent legal representation and she would be continually lynched by those that will blindly defend Gower until the cows come home. As a 24 year old female, and a Penrith fan I might add, I can understand exactly why she has chosen the path she has.

And perhaps Pearce has accepted Gower's apology because he is putting the welfare of his daughter before his own feelings of anger. Waging war against Gower is only going to prolong her humiliation.

innsaneink

Referee
Cockadoodledoo said:
Newcastle and the Dane Tilse is a precedent. The NRL deregistered his contract.. IMHO, the NRL, not Penrith should be conducting the investigation. He has brought the game of Rugby League, not just Penrith into disrepute with the allegations. Penrith have no vested interest in suspending Gower and as a result most certainly will not do so.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17700008%5E23214,00.html

NRL spokesman John Brady said the governing body would review any action taken by the Panthers this week and said they have the power to penalise the club should they handle the matter inappropriately.

brook

First Grade
ng_1981 said:
Have you ever been the victim of a sexual assault? If not I suggest you stop using her unwillingness to go to the police as a possible factor to suggest she is lying. Crime statistics show that there are hundreds of sexual assaults that go unreported every year simply because victims are too scared to come forward and because generally there can be very little physical evidence. Add to that the fact that her humiliation would be made very public due to who it involves, she would be up against a man who can afford excellent legal representation and she would be continually lynched by those that will blindly defend Gower until the cows come home. As a 24 year old female, and a Penrith fan I might add, I can understand exactly why she has chosen the path she has.

And perhaps Pearce has accepted Gower's apology because he is putting the welfare of his daughter before his own feelings of anger. Waging war against Gower is only going to prolong her humiliation.

well said!

KFC

Juniors
ng_1981 said:

I'll second that!

Shark

Bench
And I'll third it!

Seriously, the Panthers will cane him, so that the NRL can't come along and say 'you guys weren't tough enough, so here's our punishment...'

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
eelavation said:
why isn't she reporting it to the police? ....oh!! that's right she's 17 and was at a public bar.

At a function at a licensed premises.. It is not illegal for a minor to be in attendance at a licensed premises and given she was there with her father who is a teetotaler it is unlikely she had had too much to drink.

sooperdooper

First Grade
ng_1981 said:

well said but there are hundreds of cases out there which are false....

Latest posts