What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah im aware of that.

I was thinking about more of an in depth breakdown.

Pretty sure you'll find the population of both those regions is about 600k combined though.

I'd still love to see where he pulled 1.1 million from though.

Yeah fair enough.
According to wikipedia, I put CC + North Sydney, Hornsby, Ryde, Mosman, Lane Cove, Hunters Hill, Ku-rin-gai, Willoughby at about 887k.

bottle

Coach
Dear oh dear, is this really that hard for people to get, or are they just being dills for the sake of it? Take a stand, have an opinion, cool. Don't keep dishing up the same rubbish to try and muddy the waters just for the sake of obfuscation.
Sydney, any part of / CC, different places GEOGRAPHICALLY, now and for a long time to come. I don't give a rat's about Oztam. I know, I know, the networks do and that may end up being the determining factor and so be it if that's the case. But in terms of keeping it real they aren't the same place.
The bid on the other hand, that is the CC Bears, combines the north of Sydney with the CC for the purposes of establishing a team. Hence both the old NS Bears and the CC have a stake in this. Too simple isn't it?
Think St. George Illawarra. St. George plus a separate and distinct geographical territory, the Illawarra. Different circumstances I know but the analogy has enough merit to reinforce the concept.
Get past this, and the argument then becomes about the relative merits of the bids rather than being mired in this 'CC is part of Sydney' crap. No value comes from this argument as it is circuitous.

Dear oh dear, is this really that hard for people to get, or are they just being dills for the sake of it? Take a stand, have an opinion, cool. Don't keep dishing up the same rubbish to try and muddy the waters just for the sake of obfuscation.
Sydney, any part of / CC, different places GEOGRAPHICALLY, now and for a long time to come. I don't give a rat's about Oztam. I know, I know, the networks do and that may end up being the determining factor and so be it if that's the case. But in terms of keeping it real they aren't the same place.
The bid on the other hand, that is the CC Bears, combines the north of Sydney with the CC for the purposes of establishing a team. Hence both the old NS Bears and the CC have a stake in this. Too simple isn't it?
Think St. George Illawarra. St. George plus a separate and distinct geographical territory, the Illawarra. Different circumstances I know but the analogy has enough merit to reinforce the concept.
Get past this, and the argument then becomes about the relative merits of the bids rather than being mired in this 'CC is part of Sydney' crap. No value comes from this argument as it is circuitous.

Your posts are a breath of fresh air. Thank you for bringing unbiased common sense into the fray! Keep up the good work and insight.

I think the 1.1mil figure is a bit rich.

1. Cut that figure into people who actually give a sh*t about sport.
2. Then cut that figure into people who prefer rugby league as their preferred sport.
3. Then cut that figure into people who don't already follow an existing rugby league team.

I would imagine this figure to be quite small. Enough to maintain a healthy rugby league team, but nothing majorly impressive.

Fair enough but you do realize that if you use this train of thought then it also applies to every other single bid right? And I mean every single bid!

Where are you getting this 1.1 million figure from?

would love to see a breakdow

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Call it Sydney, NSW, Greater Sydney, or the Newscastle - Wollongong corridor. We all know exactly what that means in Rugby League terms. The real question is, while *that* area has 10 existing franchises should any new franchise be granted there at the expense of any desirable and qualified candidates from outside that area? Surely we don't need an atlas and a measuring stick to understand that question in the context of Australia and New Zealand's highest club competition, the NRL?

Quoting myself because it's pointless wasting time yet again arguing the subtleties of geographic names when that's not even the real issue.

Leigh.

sharko

Juniors
Perth should be behing CC Bears and QLD2.
Perth or WA has f**k all juniors and infrastructure at this stage so any team they cobble together will get flayed week in week out for years..CC Bears are part of the NSWRL and are feeder teams to Souths and have been feeder team to othres..they could put a competitive squad together qicker than WA or a second Qld team.
Dark horse may be a second NZ team, they may add value for tv subscribers and give a concession for Kiwis palying in Australia to return there and play for another NZ team.

Perth or WA has f**k all juniors and infrastructure at this stage so any team they cobble together will get flayed week in week out for years
..CC Bears are part of the NSWRL and are feeder teams to Souths and have been feeder team to othres..they could put a competitive squad together qicker than WA or a second Qld team.
Dark horse may be a second NZ team, they may add value for tv subscribers and give a concession for Kiwis palying in Australia to return there and play for another NZ team.

What complete rubbish.

In order to grow the overall juniors available to rugby league , expansion into non traditional areas is vital.

Kids aren't going to stop playing rugby league on the CC or in Central QLD if they dont get a team.

Even without a first grade team WA has produced a number of first grade players in the past 10 years

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Perth or WA has f**k all juniors and infrastructure at this stage so any team they cobble together will get flayed week in week out for years..CC Bears are part of the NSWRL and are feeder teams to Souths and have been feeder team to othres..they could put a competitive squad together qicker than WA or a second Qld team.

No infrastructure???

Perth Red

Post Whore
sharko for tool of the week!

Our non existent jnr's have been doing a pretty good job in SG ball despite all the travel. Our non existant infrastructure that hasn't been around for the last 60 years didn;t just sell out a game in Perth, hasn't got millions of $'s of sponsorship lined up and doesn't have well respected business men at both WARL and WA Reds bid teams. doh!

El Diablo

Post Whore

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=199004

Green Machine

First Grade
Introducing the new, improved David Gallop:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ed-adelaide-oval/story-e6frfgbo-1226082978431
NRL boss David Gallop wants more games at the redeveloped Adelaide Oval
  • June 27, 2011 6:28PM
    • 979488-adelaide-oval.jpg
Keen to be involved: the NRL wants to play more games at Adelaide Oval. Picture: Mike Burton Source: The Daily Telegraph

RUGBY league wants more games at a redeveloped Adelaide Oval, identifying the South Australian capital as crucial to expansion, NRL chief David Gallop says.

The NRL met SA's government on Monday to voice a desire to play more games at Adelaide Oval, which is slated for a $530 million redevelopment by 2014.
"It is going to be one of the great stadiums," Gallop told reporters in Adelaide.
"We want to play games here.
"And we will certainly be talking to the government about ensuring that opportunity is still there for us in the next few years."
Gallop said while Adelaide remained a long shot as the site of an expansion club, games in the city were needed to fulfil the NRL vision.
That continues on July 9 when Canterbury play Melbourne at Adelaide Oval.
"Games like the one in two weeks are an opportunity to remind us that they do like their rugby league in Adelaide," Gallop said.
"It may not be the next cab off the rank.

"But certainly our game has got aspirations to have a truly national profile.
"And if you are going to have a truly national profile then you need to be in Adelaide."
Gallop said he was "comfortable" with how rugby league was handling the AFL's Gold Coast invasion and prepared for the battle of the codes in western Sydney.

"We are pretty comfortable with how we're travelling in the Gold Coast district and also pretty comfortable that we will handle it when they come to western Sydney as well," he said.
And league remained open to shopping showpiece State of Origin games around, Gallop said.
Melbourne will again host an Origin battle next year, with New Zealand so far unsuccessful in their bids for a game.
"It has been very successful when we have taken it to Melbourne in recent times," he said.
"Origin footy is, we think, pretty much the top of the tree in Australian sport.
"And we love to showcase it around the country."

The Kiwis were interested in hosting the "major event".
"They have certainly put their hands up in the past," Gallop said.
"We obviously need to service Sydney and Brisbane as well.
"You never say never about where Origin might end up because it just gets bigger and better every year."