What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

BDGS

Bench
Great idea and great work by the NRL and David Gallop, show the proof where the AFP have banned other sports from playing there. Does that include cricket? I saw something that said they might ban other sports from playing there but then found out that it's in the take over contract as a condition that the premier venue mist be available for other sports.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Great idea and great work by the NRL and David Gallop, show the proof where the AFP have banned other sports from playing there. Does that include cricket? I saw something that said they might ban other sports from playing there but then found out that it's in the take over contract as a condition that the premier venue mist be available for other sports.

it was in an article someone posted

dunno who

dunno if it ended up that way after te vote

El Diablo

Post Whore
Pretty sure they'll play cricket there.

that isn't a football code

found the article

THE clever marketing work of the Bulldogs in taking NRL games to South Australia could be wiped out under the new AFL-brokered $450 million redevelopment deal for Adelaide Oval approved this week.

We hear the AFL will try to ensure the NRL doesn't get the benefit of the new venue. Note to NRL HQ - the N in your name stands for National and Adelaide is a natural expansion market.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/in-todd-we-trust/story-e6freye0-1226051688948

I would be amazed if the SA government didnt let other footy codes play there though. No way they are going to pony up that type of money for just one football code.

BDGS

Bench
I would be amazed if the SA government didnt let other footy codes play there though. No way they are going to pony up that type of money for just one football code.

That's right, I believe one ofthe SA government conditions of it was that the codes could play there. The article about Gallop wanting more games there says that he has already spoke to the SA government. So if the AFL got that condition in place for the upgraded venue they would of told Gallop outright that his code has no future at the venue.

I like how the article leans on the direction of SOO possibly being played there, I think SOO in an upgraded Adelaide oval would be massive and just as good as an etihad SOO match which has been successful many times in the past.

BDGS

Bench
Other sports crucial to developing Adelaide Oval's Brand.

Mr Harnden says that with the redevelopment of the Adelaide Oval into a world class, 50,000 seat facility ongoing, attracting Rugby League matches, along with a whole range of sports, is an important priority.

“The Adelaide Oval is a truly multi-purpose venue,” Mr Harnden said. “Already this year we’ve played host to a whole range of sporting codes – cricket, A League, international soccer, Rugby sevens, we’ve got the NRL in two weeks and we’re looking forward to the Big Bash next summer.

“So for us, this is about growing the brand of the Adelaide Oval, year after year.”

What the hell is going on with Gallop? Since when has he ever been this positive before?
I think he can finally act like a normal CEO (& try to prove he is worth re-signing for another 4 yrs)without being hamstrung by two masters.
If NEWS are out of the pic then i am prepared to give him him 12 months to show he can actually do a good job.

Zigwaa

Bench
That article made my day. Good to hear Gallop speaking positively. 2-3 games a year down here in Adelaide would make a big difference and hopefully reinstatement of the Rams on the horizon.

smithie

Juniors
It's a shame the Sharks walked away from their contract in 2009 to play three games a year in Adelaide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What the hell is going on with Gallop? Since when has he ever been this positive before?

Maybe he realises his puppet strings are about to be no longer attached and he actually has to start acting like a CEO and earning his title and salary?

Beowulf

Juniors
The results of the poll on this Bris2 cheerleader thread are brought into perspective by the 5000-6000 respondents on the NRL website poll on preferred expansion locations which just ended. Results:

Central Coast Bears 33%, Central QLD 33%, Perth 24%, Wellington 7%, Brisbane 4%.

Only surprise is the strong CQLD result. The rest were as to be expected.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Maybe he realises his puppet strings are about to be no longer attached and he actually has to start acting like a CEO and earning his title and salary?

in my opinion that's reason enough to get rid of the f**ker. "Derrrr AFL is a national game derrrr it's about balance".

BuffaloRules

Coach
The results of the poll on this Bris2 cheerleader thread are brought into perspective by the 5000-6000 respondents on the NRL website poll on preferred expansion locations which just ended. Results:

Central Coast Bears 33%, Central QLD 33%, Perth 24%, Wellington 7%, Brisbane 4%.

Only surprise is the strong CQLD result. The rest were as to be expected.

So what does this mean?

Central QLD are in?

Latest posts