What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

AuDragon

Juniors
To RB&B good luck with the bid. You know what, reading your last post has got me thinking. Although I don't favor expansion to the CC due to reasons I've no doubt covered before, putting this view forward repeatedly and criticizing aspects of the bears bid and yourself is poor form. I admire your passion and hope for your sake and others like you it gets off the ground. If it doesn't then I'll give my commiserations.

I'll leave the bear baiting to others from here on end because it's doing you no favors and making myself look like someone who begrudges and belittles other people about something that makes them happy.
Cheers and good luck with the bid and good on ya fir wearing the red and black proudly.

PS. No, someone hasn't hijacked my computer. :D
Who are you and what have you done to Always Green? :crazy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm still predicting either:
WA Reds 2014 + AN Other Q'land team 2015
or
CC Bears 2014 + WA Reds 2015

I really have no idea which it will be (of course I am hoping either scenario features the Reds!!)

juro

Bench
I guess the main logic of bringing in teams one at a time is that it softens the blow on other teams. Instead of coming up with 50 players in one hit, mainly from other teams in the comp, it would be 25 in one year and 25 in another.

Of course, the problem with going from 16 to 17 teams is that the NRL revenue would need to be split among more teams without actually increasing the number of games played, and therefore the revenue.

NRLMad

Juniors
You definitely do not want to add two teams that are underperformers for several years. It also allows the teams to noit be in bidding wars over the available options. Makes complete sense. AIf they bring Perth in first (as expected), then Bris2 could go for QLD cup players to fill their team..

To RB&B good luck with the bid. You know what, reading your last post has got me thinking. Although I don't favor expansion to the CC due to reasons I've no doubt covered before, putting this view forward repeatedly and criticizing aspects of the bears bid and yourself is poor form. I admire your passion and hope for your sake and others like you it gets off the ground. If it doesn't then I'll give my commiserations.

I'll leave the bear baiting to others from here on end because it's doing you no favors and making myself look like someone who begrudges and belittles other people about something that makes them happy.
Cheers and good luck with the bid and good on ya fir wearing the red and black proudly.

PS. No, someone hasn't hijacked my computer. :D

I honestly appreciate that mate. I really do. You do argue some good points and it's those points which the CCBears are tirelessly working on. Whatever and however expansion pans out be it jubilation or disappointment, I and many others can hold our heads high at the fact that we gave it our all.

Personally this bid and this cause is something that I felt deeply that I had to be part of. I've done everything that I can and now it's on to the wiser people of the game to work it out. I have hope and confidence though.

I hope you or the person that is close to you that is sick gets better asap and that your Raiders start winning games and possibly make the 8. If not this season then all the best for next season. (You guys rarely miss the 8 two years running, so you have the right to be confident for next year... JUST KEEP S. WILLIAMS because I know of a few bid teams who have their eyes on him already).

All the best.

beave

Coach
I'm still predicting either:
WA Reds 2014 + AN Other Q'land team 2015
or
CC Bears 2014 + WA Reds 2015

I really have no idea which it will be (of course I am hoping either scenario features the Reds!!)

I think you will be fine mate, I think you guys are the shoe in and the 2nd team will be either CC or SEQLD. I've said it countless times, I would hate to be making the D with this, the 4 main bids (Perth, CC, Bris II, Ipswich) all have their -'s and +'s........

Goddy

Juniors
I've just been laying in bed trying to get to sleep to no avail, and began brainstorming on where the NRL should eventually expand to in the next two years.

Let me get this out of the way right now, and people can claim it's bias but this is just me being realistic; Queensland should be the central focus of this coming expansion.

NSW already have a couple of clubs that are barely even keeping their heads above water, there's no need in my mind to add any more to a state that doesn't need them, which is why I believe the Bears shouldn't get it because they had their chance anyway. If I had the reigns, the Bears return to the League would be at the cost of another suffering club. Probably the Sharks.

Having said that, I would be very surprised if one of the teams is not in Brisbane. With Suncorp regularly sold out or close to it, a second team would give the Queensland Government an excuse to build another big Stadium. I'd like to see the Ipswich Jets get their license, because I think they've waited long enough. Ipswich is a rapidly growing city and where there's growth there is incentive.

The Brisbane Bombers are a mixed bag of emotions for me; for one, they're impeding on the territory of my side. However, for the sake of the code I will admit that there is a fair sized group of people in Brisbane who refuse to support the Broncos, so financially the Bombers are a smart move by the NRL. In my opinion, they would need their own Stadium to capitalize on that though. Using Suncorp for both would be a waste.

The Western Reds, I'm sorry to say it, aren't exactly high on my priority list either; Once again, it's been tried and failed (depending on your assessment). I really don't see any point in the NRL trying to move in on AFL territory when there is money to be made in Queensland or even the Sportless Northern Territory.

I have sympathy for Darwin; it must be a boring arse city to live in, so the NRL may as well try and see if they can build a support base up there, at least before the AFL do.

Which leaves me conflicted between the Queensland Central Coast (proposed name is the Cyclones I hear from friends in Bundaberg) and the PNG. Both could be massively profitable for the NRL, but from what I understand, only two Licences are going to be handed out. I couldbe wrong about that though.

So when it all comes down to it, I'd like to see teams on the Central Coast of Queensland and at Ipswich-Logan.

Sorry for the wall of text. Discuss where you would like to expand to and why.

Last edited:

ash the bash

Juniors
Interesting, whatever happens I can't see the Bombers even if they get in using any other stadium besides Suncorp. Same goes for the Western corridor as they prefer to be known rather than the Ipswich Jets, well at least in the short term will be using Suncorp.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
We've had a great many threads on this very topic with tens of thousands of posts.

Forum consensus, if there is such a thing, is that we'll have expansion to one heartland area and one frontier area. We generally agree that Perth/WA Reds is a definite for one license and the second license is basically down to the Central Coast Bears or a team based in SEQ. Other cities (Rocky/PNG/etc) are really not in the race.

Oh and a new Brisbane team would not be a reason for the state government to build another half billion dollar stadium... Lang Park is currently criminally underused by RL.

flippikat

Bench
We've had a great many threads on this very topic with tens of thousands of posts.

Forum consensus, if there is such a thing, is that we'll have expansion to one heartland area and one frontier area. We generally agree that Perth/WA Reds is a definite for one license and the second license is basically down to the Central Coast Bears or a team based in SEQ. Other cities (Rocky/PNG/etc) are really not in the race.

Oh and a new Brisbane team would not be a reason for the state government to build another half billion dollar stadium... Lang Park is currently criminally underused by RL.

One more thing to consider - if the Warriors are a consistently strong club (NRL, Toyota Cup, and NSW Cup) over the next 3-5 years, there will be a compelling arguement for a 2nd NZ team.

I doubt it will happen in this coming expansion round - but towards the end of this decade it's certainly worth considering.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Perth = tv money, a report I read claimed that Qlders generally don't watch non Qld teams so probably them. Bears would be great as well though, but there is a glut of NSW teams.

PNG should get a ridiculous amount of money pumped into them. Huge population, majority young and basically all play league.

This would step up the quality in the NRL significantly over a 20 year period.

TheDalek079

Bench
why the f*** do we want another qld expansion team? the titans are struggling on and off the field - why would we want to place another team in their zone?

Central Coast can sustain a team, whilst SE Queensland cannot sustain another

lockyrulz

Juniors
why the f*** do we want another qld expansion team? the titans are struggling on and off the field - why would we want to place another team in their zone?

Central Coast can sustain a team, whilst SE Queensland cannot sustain another

My god that's a dumb argument.

The Gold Coast had a tough year, Brisbane didn't. The gold coast had a tough year because they came last, not because of an excess of teams.

And on top of that you want to add the CC instead... By your logic, Cronuilla are struggling, so we can't bring them in either. Jesus...

Bananabender

Juniors
Well firstly the CQ franchise is not planned to be around Bundaberg but in Rocky. They have been working their butts off up here trying to come up with major sponsors etc. such as QLd Rail. I'd love to see it up here to be able to go to some games more often as Brisbane is 7 hours away as is Townsville. But agree - I dont think we have the population to support the NRL team. Anyway, wouldnt we be regarded as a "heartland" area? Will just have to keep travelling spos.

flippikat

Bench
Well firstly the CQ franchise is not planned to be around Bundaberg but in Rocky. They have been working their butts off up here trying to come up with major sponsors etc. such as QLd Rail. I'd love to see it up here to be able to go to some games more often as Brisbane is 7 hours away as is Townsville. But agree - I dont think we have the population to support the NRL team. Anyway, wouldnt we be regarded as a "heartland" area? Will just have to keep travelling spos.

Perth & Brisbane2 in the next expansion round, Then New Zealand 2 & another Queensland team (Brisbane3 or Central Queensland) in around 2020?

That would make the balance of a 20-team competition as follows:
10 NSW
5 Queensland
2 NZ
1 ACT
1 Vic
1 WA

bobmar28

Bench
We can't allow Demetriou and the AFL to go around the country claiming that AFL is the national code, that's bullshit.

Therefore WA Reds should be next in, closely followed by Ipswich Jets. There is no need for an 11th NSW team.

In the next round Wellington should be a priority and PNG if they are ready.

Last edited: