What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

_snafu_

Immortal
There are clubs in the competition who's backs are against the wall financially, so postponing expansion is sensible.

Goddo

Bench
There are clubs in the competition who's backs are against the wall financially, so postponing expansion is sensible.
This.

The game has enough on its plate over the next 2 years sorting the commission, rationalising the game, addressing juniors, restructuring the NSW and Qld cups and the TV deal.

I'd also suggest there has been a lot of over-hyped emotive arguments which have distorted the issue. The NRL needs to have a cold shower with respect to expansion, and then aproach the issue in a slow logical methodical way, doing whats in the games best interests.

This might mean not calling for bids at all, and the NRL simply working with interested groups in the locations the NRL needs teams most.

Goddo

Bench
No, this isn't to do with Wellington or any of the bids - although it presents a big oportunity to less developed bids by giving them more time. This is the result of the IC and TV deal taking so long.

It does make the Bears position more difficult (they will face strong rivals in better locations the longer this goes on)

It does make the Bears position more difficult (they will face strong rivals in better locations the longer this goes on)

No it doesn't. We've been at this for so long that we as an organization can ride out anything. The CCBears keeps getting stronger even after expansion setbacks and continuous ridiculing from un-informed people. We've maintained a business, we've been self sustainable and we are still growing. We've proved beyond a doubt that we'll be a successful club if given the green light. We're beyond being just a "bid" anymore, we are an organization.

Raiderdave

First Grade
That's ridiculous. WA Reds need to come in 2013, 2014 at the latest. Along with Ipswich Jets.
I noticed he mentioned the ninth broadcast slot. Well you can't have that without 2 new teams.

Perth & the Brisbane Bombers

Ipswich is a stupid Idea ...as I & plenty of others have said , you are limiting your market by calling them after a smallish regional town
& as soon after the next TV deal is done as possible too
no later then 2014

that is all ;-)

rednblack

Juniors
This.

The game has enough on its plate over the next 2 years sorting the commission, rationalising the game, addressing juniors, restructuring the NSW and Qld cups and the TV deal.

Fair enough, but shouldn't most of this be done well before 2 years? I mean, the new commission SHOULD be operational within weeks or months if all parties can pull their collective heads out of their arses and come to an agreement. And the TV deal HAS to be done within 12 months, or there won't be any coverage of any game after the 2012 grand final.

Rationalizing the competition comes hand in hand with future plans, and should be done in concert with expansion plans, not in isolation from them. Unless the NRL plans to cull teams and not replace them, why would anyone work on rationalization without an idea of who will come in to replace them?

Sure, the restructuring of the various organizations is a must, but once done, it should not be an on-going concern. And juniors will need to be just that- an ongoing issue that will require attention well into the future, not just over the next 24 months.

By saying that a sport's governing body can only address a small handful of about 3-4 issues over two years is to effectively call them a one-trick-pony. Do any of us really want an impotent sporting code such as that? I sure don't!

Raiderdave

First Grade
No it doesn't. We've been at this for so long that we as an organization can ride out anything. The CCBears keeps getting stronger even after expansion setbacks and continuous ridiculing from un-informed people. We've maintained a business, we've been self sustainable and we are still growing. We've proved beyond a doubt that we'll be a successful club if given the green light. We're beyond being just a "bid" anymore, we are an organization.

you can be the collingwood magpies for all anyone cares

the biggest problem with the NRL is too many teams in Sydney
the last thing our game will do is start up another one 5 minutes up the road

nuff said;-)

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
The NRL needs to have a cold shower with respect to expansion, and then aproach the issue in a slow logical methodical way, doing whats in the games best interests.
1. this has already been done - just over 10 years ago - and the Central Coast was pinpointed - then the NRL gave the Bears incentives to relocate.
2. Nothing has changed - the Central Coast Bears is the best option for all reasons - especially TV rights because, as the bid with the strongest financial backers, this is what drives TV advertising revenue.

Goddo - you've been deathriding the CC Bears bid for years. But - it is impossible to take anything you say seriously when you have the spelling skills of a 4 year old.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
The proof of the strength of the CC Bears bid is the constant efforts by NRL clubs to vote against a CC Bears team - because they know how powerful and professional it will be - making the existing clubs look like the chook-raffle backwaters they have always been.

How stupid is rugby league when it can reject a tremendous expansion club for over 10 years whilst propping up vrtual bankrupts - the wondering why they can't get a decent TV rights deal? Morons.

Now is the time to say to the networks - CC Bears and Perth will come in in 2015 - the price is $1.2 billion.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

nuff said;-)

No, idiot.
Any business needs to focus on channels that strengthen the overall business in the short and medium term.
The CC Bears does this - and in spades.

Of course, rugby league is renowned for vested interests lining their own pockets - supported by ignorant morons like you in the general community. that's why the CC Bears have been successfull thwarted for over 10 years despite the obvious benefits.

rednblack

Juniors
So what has changed since the NRL decided that Gosford was a suitable place for North Sydney to relocate to 12 years ago? It wasn't geography that changed, and there are LESS sydney teams since then thanks to a couple of mergers. What do you propose has so dramatically changed, that a CC team must now be considered un-viable for the NRL? I respectfully suggest that NOTHING has changed.

Gosford is an hour plus from any "close" stadium (ie: Parramatta, Newcastle, Brookvale) on a dream run with no traffic. Your old, tired "5min up the road" just doesn't work! For instance, from the tigers ground at Campbelltown, you could get to Canberra quicker than you could Gosford (PARTICULARLY on a friday after work, or on saturday afternoon). Should we drop Canberra, since they're so close to Sydney? They're not in NSW, but what difference does it make if they're so easily accessible and close by? You see, the argument just doesn't fit. If you don't want the CC bears in the NRL, I respect your position. But don't keep running on with this dribble about it being another NSW team!! Come up with something else, ANYTHING else, but please, would you and all the others like you, stop with the crap about too many teams in NSW unless your willing to see your own club kicked out "for the good of the game" (especially since, for all practical purposes, your's is one of those)!!

Jason Maher

Immortal
Perth & the Brisbane Bombers

Ipswich is a stupid Idea ...as I & plenty of others have said , you are limiting your market by calling them after a smallish regional town
& as soon after the next TV deal is done as possible too
no later then 2014

that is all ;-)

You don't know very much about Ipswich do you?

nuff said;-)

We could always be rid of that worthless lime green bed of nepotism and iniquity 10 minutes down the road. ;-)

Beowulf

Juniors
To even suggest the Bombers when the Broncos are the only club making a profit reveals the amount of grey matter involved. 2 licenses, 3 bidders (CC, Perth, Ipswich) and I reckon all 3 areas will get a start as I'm sure the NRL are delaying payments to clubs partly so that 1 might fall over or take a relocation incentive and save them a hard decision.

Raiderdave

First Grade
No, idiot.
Any business needs to focus on channels that strengthen the overall business in the short and medium term.
The CC Bears does this - and in spades.

Of course, rugby league is renowned for vested interests lining their own pockets - supported by ignorant morons like you in the general community. that's why the CC Bears have been successfull thwarted for over 10 years despite the obvious benefits.

it does nothing of the sort you wombat
it adds to being too centralised as a sport in & around Sydney

theres a dozen places we'll go before the central coast
nuff said ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
You don't know very much about Ipswich do you?

We could always be rid of that worthless lime green bed of nepotism and iniquity 10 minutes down the road. ;-)

I know as much as you would ..... forget Ipswich , stupid Idea:roll:

& as for getting rid of the Mighty Green Machine
being a St Choke fan ...Aka our Bitches

you'd like that wouldn't you ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
To even suggest the Bombers when the Broncos are the only club making a profit reveals the amount of grey matter involved. 2 licenses, 3 bidders (CC, Perth, Ipswich) and I reckon all 3 areas will get a start as I'm sure the NRL are delaying payments to clubs partly so that 1 might fall over or take a relocation incentive and save them a hard decision.

a 2nd Brisbane team .. called Brisbane ... I don't really care if its the Bombers or not

is essential ....

Ipswich is a ludicrous Idea
CC.. is even more so

nuff said ;-)