What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

Beowulf

Juniors

Manly are an isolated peninsula with no mass public transport connections to the main heavy rail Sydney-Gosford. It may as well be another country.

The Roseville and Spit bridges form a cultural ocean between the north shore and northern beaches. Hence the rivalry and hence the failure of northern Eagles and hence the failure of the Sea Eagles to gain traction across the aforementioned bridges on the north shore or Central Coast....it would be the same if the Eagles were out and the Bears tried to tap their territory, and its why the existence of the other is beneficial to each in the long term - they can't make headway in each others territories due to historical animosities, so its better to fuel a local rivalry and parley that into community interest with full crowds & merchandise/membership sales.

Manly will have a bad run of seasons sooner or later, and we'll then see by how much Penn is willing to mortgage his children's inheritence. Only the Bears can save them.....again (1947, 2000, 2014??!).

Ipswich has far more potential than Brisbane? You cannot be serious. Ipswich will never ever get the corporate support that a second Brisbane team will. Some people are seriously underestimating the large anti-Bronco element in Brisbane.

I've lived in and around Ipswich and Brisbane for 20+ years. I've seen the demographics change first hand, especially concerning rugby league. All these anti-Bronco supporters you speak of are already affiliated to a team. Warriors, Dragons, Titans, Cowboys, Bulldogs and Rabbitohs especially. So therefore you are diluting these clubs away support bases. Simply shifting them from one club to the other.

Ipswich is growing fast and unlike Brisbane, it's far from reaching it's potential. If the area incorporates Toowoomba, automatically you've got interest from some multi-millionaires from the region whom are born and bred league followers. The junior systems in Ipswich are great, only recently have the resources not been there as much as they would like.

Alot of people living in and around Logan, Beaudesert, Toowoomba, the Lockyer Valley would root for an Ipswich/Western Corridor side.

As far as corporate dollars, knock it off. Brisbane Broncos are barely sponsored by any local businesses as it is. Most are nationally known brands based in Sydney or Melbourne (NRMA for example). The truth is that Brisbane's corporate sector isn't as big as some pretend like it is. Hence why the state and city itself has gone stagnant in jobs in the last 5 years. This is reality. While most companies whom are involved in the sporting landscape, prefer to simply support other codes. BoQ, QR etc (thought admittedly QR have recently signed on to the CQLD bid).

So my point stands firm and clear, the Brisbane Bombers have no fans and no local corporations jumping to get on board. The fans that they do have, already support a team eg. yourself and the Roosters and the sponsors they do have aren't local except Davison's own company...

Furthermore, Ipswich/Western Corridor has always been talked about by Gallop. As has the Central Coast, Perth/W.A. and Wellington. Recently CQLD and PNG joined that party. Brisbane was never a serious option, why dilute the Broncos monopoly when they are the codes most successful club in many aspects? Why potentially damage that brand? Ipswich is league heartland, they for a much smaller population will have more fans then Brisbane Bombers ever will. Because after all that's said and done, when you take away Broncos/other clubs fans, other sports teams (Lions, Reds, Roar) fans. All you're left with is pretty much the indie society and foreigners. And if a successful brand like the Broncos or a new alternative like the Titans can't sway them, what makes you think the Bombers can?

You people can talk shit all you want about Ipswich, matter of fact is once you pass by the few rotten apples there are many genuine rugby league families waiting for their own team. The region is no different to western Sydney as far as league is concerned. Only that western Sydney has options and Ipswich doesn't in regards to local teams.

the 2nd SE Qld bid needs to be Brisbane
the days of the Broncos having a city of over 2 million to themselves are over
even if a 2nd Franchise from Brisbane were only half as succesful as the Broncos are ATM .. they would still be by far the most succesful of any of the proposed expansion teams

a team called Ipswich will not be followed by anyone from outside of Ipswich & thus you limit your potential supporter base & this base which is one of the lowest disposable income areas in all of QLD .... believe me
they aren't going to travel 80K's into Brisbane every 2nd week & 80K's back to watch their team even if they wanted to.... no way in hell...most wouldn't be able to afford to.

if you call the new side Brisbane ... you garner a far bigger potential market
everyone who doesn't follow the Broncos in Brissie ( & theres a lot)
hell even some that do
a far better proposition then limiting yourself to people from a bogan backwater to Brisbanes west.

And I know how the business world works just fine
your market has limitations based on its size & the competition in said market
Sydney ...plus the central coast ...& the Illawarra , from 80ks to the north .. & 80ks to the south
has 9 teams

thats too many
to make that number 10 .... is lunacy of the highest order

that is all ;-)

Why does it have to be Brisbane? Because uninformed people who have never lived for a sustained amount of time in SEQld say so? Because people who obviously lack any inside knowledge concerning the rugby league demographics of SEQld act like it is?

An Ipswich team doesn't have to be called Ipswich, it could be called South West "...'s" or Western Corridor "...'s" it doesn't matter. What matters is the demographics and where the potential fans are. The real fan's who will turn up every second week, buy merchandise, buy memberships, subscribe to pay-TV. That demographics lies west of Brisbane, in the growing Ipswich region. Which can or cannot incorporated Logan, Toowoomba, Beaudesert, Lockyer Valley depending on the bid itself.

You call the people from this area bogans, yet I know first hand just how many big spenders actually live there due to having space and the luxury of a quieter life style. Don't think just because there's a few bad apples out there, that there also isn't in Brisbane.

On the market of the Central Coast, it doesn't have limitations. The Bears brand establishes that point profoundly. You can't trade in 100 years of history for nothing in return, if anything it's worth alot due to how many generations have come and gone supporting that brand. It is there where it's power truely lies. North Sydney CBD (the 3rd biggest, richest district in Australia after Sydney CBD and Melbourne CBD) alone can help sustain and sponsor a CC side, all off the back of the Bears brand. The high honchos who grew up with that Bears brand and the corporations who were helped out decades ago when they were starting up off the back of the Bears brand and subsequently it's communities/sponsors/people.

You call it lunacy to add them, I call it lunacy to not add them. I call it lunacy to not add a team which has it's own fans, own sponsors, own catchement none of which is represented and all of which have the resources and sustainability to not only add to the game but be a roaring success. It's a business decision that will reap rewards, requires little to no spending on by the game's establishments and can carry itself and grow it's profile nationally. We have mega rich people waiting to invest in this team if given the green light.

That is all.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is Nth Sydney CBD really bigger and richer than Perth's CBD?
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/p...st-expensive-in-the-world-20110824-1j9io.html

The latest (and biggest yet) Skyscraper to be built in Perth CBD
mg5424rez.jpg

That aside it seems neither Brisbane bid at this point in time is doing a great deal in terms of community engagement. Bombers keep threatening something via their Facebook site but nothing yet materialised. I guess if we have until 2015 there is still plenty of time for all bids to make their case, then again I hope they decide a lot sonner than that so people aren;t wasting time and money on bids with little hope of success.

rednblack

Juniors
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/p...st-expensive-in-the-world-20110824-1j9io.html

mg5424rez.jpg

That aside it seems neither Brisbane bid at this point in time is doing a great deal in terms of community engagement. Bombers keep threatening something via their Facebook site but nothing yet materialised. I guess if we have until 2015 there is still plenty of time for all bids to make their case, then again I hope they decide a lot sonner than that so people aren;t wasting time and money on bids with little hope of success.

I've worked in both locations, and I'd say so. Obviously this is just my impression - I'm not basing this on any particular data, but it was definitely more densely packed in NS, so Perth may be slightly larger geographically, I'm not sure. Certainly NS would be larger in terms of revenue generation.

mg5424rez.jpg

it's got nothing to do with the size of skyscrappers and all to do with what corporations have their headquarters based there and then how much revenue goes through these sectors. Perth does have much but it's pretty much all in the mining game whilst NS is banks, insurance companies etc

Goddo

Bench
Why does it have to be Brisbane? Because uninformed people who have never lived for a sustained amount of time in SEQld say so? Because people who obviously lack any inside knowledge concerning the rugby league demographics of SEQld act like it is?

An Ipswich team doesn't have to be called Ipswich, it could be called South West "...'s" or Western Corridor "...'s" it doesn't matter. What matters is the demographics and where the potential fans are. The real fan's who will turn up every second week, buy merchandise, buy memberships, subscribe to pay-TV. That demographics lies west of Brisbane, in the growing Ipswich region. Which can or cannot incorporated Logan, Toowoomba, Beaudesert, Lockyer Valley depending on the bid itself.

You call the people from this area bogans, yet I know first hand just how many big spenders actually live there due to having space and the luxury of a quieter life style. Don't think just because there's a few bad apples out there, that there also isn't in Brisbane.
I agree with you here. The Ipswich-Logan region will be Brisbanes equivelant to the Parramatta-Penrith-Liverpool area. It can easily support a team - branding the club will be tricky, but there is little doubting its potential.

The next best regional part of Queensland for a team would be Sunshine Coast-Redcliffe, but thats 10-15 years away at the soonest. CQ is in the same boat - potentially a go'er in 15-20 years, but lacks the population to justify it now.

The problem for the Bombers bid is their image and branding are craptacular. A second generic Brisbane side would work, but the Bombers are just a poor copy of the Broncos. They need to be different and engaging. They are currently remote and plastic, but cashed up. They need to adopt a part of the city as their own and embrace it. East Brisbane Valleys, South Bank... something. Currently they are everywhere and nowhere.
On the market of the Central Coast, it doesn't have limitations. The Bears brand establishes that point profoundly. You can't trade in 100 years of history for nothing in return, if anything it's worth alot due to how many generations have come and gone supporting that brand. It is there where it's power truely lies. North Sydney CBD (the 3rd biggest, richest district in Australia after Sydney CBD and Melbourne CBD) alone can help sustain and sponsor a CC side, all off the back of the Bears brand. The high honchos who grew up with that Bears brand and the corporations who were helped out decades ago when they were starting up off the back of the Bears brand and subsequently it's communities/sponsors/people.

You call it lunacy to add them, I call it lunacy to not add them. I call it lunacy to not add a team which has it's own fans, own sponsors, own catchement none of which is represented and all of which have the resources and sustainability to not only add to the game but be a roaring success. It's a business decision that will reap rewards, requires little to no spending on by the game's establishments and can carry itself and grow it's profile nationally. We have mega rich people waiting to invest in this team if given the green light.

That is all.
You focus on all the good things that no one disputes about the Bears bid - an NRL side on the Northern rail corridor, the North Sydney/Chatswood business districts, juniors, et cetera.

But you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that the NRL is now a national competition, and that having 9 Sydney teams + Newcastle has the game at saturation point. The distribution of those 9 clubs could be better, but adding another to the region is rediculous when you consider the wealth of new tallent, new sponsors, new TV regions, new oportunities outside NSW.

I feel sorry for the Bears, in the game of musical chairs in Sydney they lost. Is it just? Probably not, but it was necissary.

bobmar28

Bench
1. this has already been done - just over 10 years ago - and the Central Coast was pinpointed - then the NRL gave the Bears incentives to relocate.
2. Nothing has changed - the Central Coast Bears is the best option for all reasons - especially TV rights because, as the bid with the strongest financial backers, this is what drives TV advertising revenue.

Goddo - you've been deathriding the CC Bears bid for years. But - it is impossible to take anything you say seriously when you have the spelling skills of a 4 year old.

I better get my spelling right. All I need to say is adding a 10th team to the Sydney region would be insane.

bobmar28

Bench
the 2nd SE Qld bid needs to be Brisbane
the days of the Broncos having a city of over 2 million to themselves are over
even if a 2nd Franchise from Brisbane were only half as succesful as the Broncos are ATM .. they would still be by far the most succesful of any of the proposed expansion teams

a team called Ipswich will not be followed by anyone from outside of Ipswich & thus you limit your potential supporter base & this base which is one of the lowest disposable income areas in all of QLD .... believe me
they aren't going to travel 80K's into Brisbane every 2nd week & 80K's back to watch their team even if they wanted to.... no way in hell...most wouldn't be able to afford to.

if you call the new side Brisbane ... you garner a far bigger potential market
everyone who doesn't follow the Broncos in Brissie ( & theres a lot)
hell even some that do
a far better proposition then limiting yourself to people from a bogan backwater to Brisbanes west.

And I know how the business world works just fine
your market has limitations based on its size & the competition in said market
Sydney ...plus the central coast ...& the Illawarra , from 80ks to the north .. & 80ks to the south
has 9 teams

thats too many
to make that number 10 .... is lunacy of the highest order

that is all ;-)

A team called Canterbury is followed by many people outside of Canterbury.

bobmar28

Bench
hardly what we are talking about here
would 20K people from Katoomba travel to Homebush to watch a side from Katoomba play there

thats what we are talking about here ............:?

No it's not. Ipswich is 40k from Brisbane CBD. About the same as Liverpool from Sydney CBD.
The Tigers are based in Campbelltown, 60k from Sydney CBD and the SFS yet they play there.

Raiderdave

First Grade
No it's not. Ipswich is 40k from Brisbane CBD. About the same as Liverpool from Sydney CBD.
The Tigers are based in Campbelltown, 60k from Sydney CBD and the SFS yet they play there.

the Tigers have half their fans based 15K from the city & another ground smack in the middle of half of their fan base

very few of their fans from Campbelltown watch their games in the City .. & with good reason
the same will be the case with Ipswich residents having to travel to watch their side in the friggin middle of Brisbane

what utter nonsense that would be
& this is why this bid will fail .....

that is all ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
You don't know anything about business.
You've proven time and time again that you haven't a clue - about anything.
the basis of the game has been Sydney for over 100 years. Just because the game has been run by idiots and cowards for 95% of that time doesn't mean that NSW is still a fundamental core for rugby league.

Your club is 5 minutes old and whored itself to Murdoch at the drop of a hat - yet you preach about reasons for expansion. This is why most here think you're an idiot and should simply f**k right off.

& you're a captain of Industry are you ?:roll:

I wouldn't let a dimwit like you near the primary school tuck shop let alone the NRL

that is all ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade

That is all.

Because theres 2.1 Million people .... & only ONE friggin team there
thats why you complete moron

gawd stuff me ... if this is the calibre of intelligence of the average bears fan
no wonder they went the way of the dinosaur ...

that is all ;-)

DC_fan

Coach
The game needs to expand to other areas of Australia and New Zealand. But at the same time we need to cut back the number of Sydney teams.

_Johnsy

Referee
Anyone who thinks the self proclaimed heartland of rugby league (which is the 3rd largest city in oz) should not get a 2nd side based out of Suncorp is delusional deluxe.

Joker's Wild

Coach
the Tigers have half their fans based 15K from the city & another ground smack in the middle of half of their fan base

very few of their fans from Campbelltown watch their games in the City .. & with good reason
the same will be the case with Ipswich residents having to travel to watch their side in the friggin middle of Brisbane

what utter nonsense that would be
& this is why this bid will fail .....

that is all ;-)

Got anything to back this up mate?

I can tell you that the Ipswich train line, the one that goes directly to Milton station that is right next to Suncorp, is the busiest track on Broncos game days. Translink (Qld transport) gives free travel on public transport to and from the game to all ticket holders.

People in Ipswich have no issues traveling to Suncorp at all

Because theres 2.1 Million people .... & only ONE friggin team there
thats why you complete moron

gawd stuff me ... if this is the calibre of intelligence of the average bears fan
no wonder they went the way of the dinosaur ...

that is all ;-)

And a majority of that 2.1 million live in the south western corner, many are moving or have moved to the outskirts of Ipswich eg . Springfield and areas around it. So like I said, spend some time in Brisbane and it's areas before you come up with bullshit opinions, thinking you know more then the locals.

Goddo

Bench
Anyone who thinks the self proclaimed heartland of rugby league (which is the 3rd largest city in oz) should not get a 2nd side based out of Suncorp is delusional deluxe.
I dont think anyone would disagree with you, but it still has to be done right. The Bombers are yet to prove they are the club to do it.

People should think of South Brisbane/Ipswich-Logan/Western Corridor as being like a merger between Penrith and Parramatta, playing in a 30k stadium located in Blacktown.

Right now, either a relaunched/rebranded "Brisbane II" or an Ipswich-Logan Corridor side would be a good fit for the NRL - both are part of Brisbane metro for TV, both would secure sponsors, both would provide junior oportunities, both would link up with and reinforce Queensland Cup sides.

Pair that with a Perth side - Australia's 4th largest city with unique timeslot for TV, completely redeveloped stadium by 2015 - and we have the best options for the NRL.

Gosford was a good option 10-15 years ago when a short distance relocation helped somewhat adress the issue of too many Sydney teams. But the time for that has passed.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Gosford was a good option 10-15 years ago when a short distance relocation helped somewhat adress the issue of too many Sydney teams. But the time for that has passed.

Typical of the generalist blowhard bullshit you and that Canberra idiot have been spouting forever.

Since the 90's, Sydney teams have decreased by 3 due to 2 mergers and the fraudulent dismissal of the CC Bears.

Queensland has had 100 years+ to show the balls, like the Bears, to start up or start again.

I hear whining about more Qld teams. Look at the Titans - bottom dwellers after a couple of years with their future based on some "development" deal that has never been fully explained.

You two morons have the business expertise of a gnat.