What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL and its clubs are expected to palm-off expansion until 2014 or 2015

Of the three favourites which two teams make the most sense?

• Brisbane II

Votes: 137 67.8%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 55 27.2%
  • Western Australia

Votes: 182 90.1%

• Total voters

rednblack

Juniors
I
Gosford was a good option 10-15 years ago when a short distance relocation helped somewhat adress the issue of too many Sydney teams. But the time for that has passed.

I've gotta disagree on a couple of points here.

Firstly, SE Queensland have had half a dozen teams over the past twenty years or so, and for various reasons, all have failed with the exception of the broncos (who are heavily financially supported) and, so far, the Tiatans (who are far, far from out of the woods yet). Why the steadfast reluctance to accept that another team in the region MAY not work out? Everyone here who just goes along with the notion that the next inclusion in the comp must be from that region needs to understand that just because its "NOT NSW", does NOT mean that a new team will be successful, nor the cash cow you all expect. I name the Giants, Seagulls, Crushers et al.

Secondly, as I've pointed out several times previously (and Ronny has also just pointed out again), the number of Sydney based teams has been reduced by 25% in the last decade and a bit. So I ask again, what has so dramatically changed in that time, that a regional team, based well over an hour from it's nearest rival, is now no longer appropriate? No one has yet offered any decent answer to this. Why, Goddo, do you say specifically that "the time for that has passed"? What has changed?

Gosford was a good option 10-15 years ago when a short distance relocation helped somewhat adress the issue of too many Sydney teams. But the time for that has passed.

The bottom line is that there are corporations already investing and others waiting to invest in the Central Coast Bears. So for all the negatives you bring up, the truth is the money holders want to invest in the CCBears franchise and therefore in rugby league. Along with an already established fanbase, infrastructure and a culture which is growing. All signs point to a successful organization.

Who is anyone here to dispute the fact that the people with the $$ want to pour millions into the CCBears? Unless you people have millions yourselves, saving it to obviously invest in other would be franchises. If that's the case then kudo's, however if it isn't then we are better to go with where the money is and on top of that where the support it. It's a win, win with potential for longevity and success. The code as a whole will reap rewards from it.

Raiderdave

First Grade
And a majority of that 2.1 million live in the south western corner, many are moving or have moved to the outskirts of Ipswich eg . Springfield and areas around it. So like I said, spend some time in Brisbane and it's areas before you come up with bullshit opinions, thinking you know more then the locals.

Its Still called Brisbane champ ... not Ipswich , don't need to live there to know that :roll:

that is all ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
Typical of the generalist blowhard bullshit you and that Canberra idiot have been spouting forever.

Since the 90's, Sydney teams have decreased by 3 due to 2 mergers and the fraudulent dismissal of the CC Bears.

Queensland has had 100 years+ to show the balls, like the Bears, to start up or start again.

I hear whining about more Qld teams. Look at the Titans - bottom dwellers after a couple of years with their future based on some "development" deal that has never been fully explained.

You two morons have the business expertise of a gnat.

we probably need to decrease it by 3 more

not add to it einstein :lol::lol::lol:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Got anything to back this up mate?

I can tell you that the Ipswich train line, the one that goes directly to Milton station that is right next to Suncorp, is the busiest track on Broncos game days. Translink (Qld transport) gives free travel on public transport to and from the game to all ticket holders.

People in Ipswich have no issues traveling to Suncorp at all

hmmm
I'd say 10% of Broncos crowds come from Ipswich

about 3500
& thats what we'd get regularly to home games from that area if they got a side in , & not many more :sarcasm:

It'd be like starting up a team in Katoomba .. playing out of ANZ
& expecting people from westmead to follow them... for some reason :crazy::crazy:

like I said
stupidest Idea I've ever heard ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
Like I told you, Canberra's close enough, and might as well be considered another NSW team for all intents and purposes. Get rid of them then, shall we?

yeah we're close enough

I mean 300K is pretty close to

80K..... isnt it ? :sarcasm::crazy::roll:

Goddo

Bench
I've gotta disagree on a couple of points here.

Firstly, SE Queensland have had half a dozen teams over the past twenty years or so, and for various reasons, all have failed with the exception of the broncos (who are heavily financially supported) and, so far, the Tiatans (who are far, far from out of the woods yet). Why the steadfast reluctance to accept that another team in the region MAY not work out? Everyone here who just goes along with the notion that the next inclusion in the comp must be from that region needs to understand that just because its "NOT NSW", does NOT mean that a new team will be successful, nor the cash cow you all expect. I name the Giants, Seagulls, Crushers et al.
Sweeping through some big issues here which have been covered before.

1. The Seagulls were never properly set up financially, and were playing in Tweed Heads. Moving them to Carara (still not great as an oval) was the right move, and they were finally starting to be viable when they were killed by the SL war.

2. the Crushers were viable, 20k average, killed off by the SL war, just like the Reds. Cowboys and Warriors were lucky to survive Super League.

3. Titans may have over capitalised on the centre of excellence, but that was a business decision, no different to the Bears plans of moving to Gosford or Souths playing at ANZ, or Canterbury shifting back to Belmore. The Tits will be fine.

Another team in South East Queensland will be a huge success if set up properly. Channel 9 have said another Brisbane metro team would the only option they would pay more for. Look at the sponsorship arangements the Broncos have with Brisbane to themselves.

ANY expansion option is risky, South East Queensland's risk is mitigated to an extent by increased TV money (only 1 Bris metro team currently) and sponsorship oportunities in a region of 3.5 million people (South East Queensland).

It would be reasonable to assume a Brisbane based team would average +20k on the back of casual league fans, fans of Sydney clubs living in Brisbane, members, and the odd Broncos fan after a League fix.

They would have a feeder arangement with at least 2 Queensland cup sides (important considering the NRL have kicked NSW based NRL clubs out of Qld), provide another avenue of support for Junior RL, and have national sponsorship appeal, particularily for rival companies to Broncos sponsors (have a quick look at the Bombers sponsors and compare to the Broncos).

Secondly, as I've pointed out several times previously (and Ronny has also just pointed out again), the number of Sydney based teams has been reduced by 25% in the last decade and a bit.
Did you also notice Souths were kicked out only to get back in through a legal process? Have you noticed Manly's or Cronulla's problems?

If anything, reducing by 25% was not enough. We have 9 teams of a national competition of 16 based in the one city, yet have no presence in Perth, Adelaide, Wellington. National growth vs Sydney roots will be an ongoing problem for the game.

In our second biggest market, Australia's third biggest overall we have 1 team. Now you want to increase the number of Sydney teams -how will that affect the competition as a whole?

- free to air slots are important for clubs to generate value from sponsors, fans and brand awareness. Will adding another team in the metro Sydney ratings area be a good thing or a bad thing for the current clubs?

- will broadcasters value a 10th Sydney metro broadcasting area club more or less than an interstate club that offers a unique timeslot, a new market, or a big market that is under utilised?

- some current Sydney clubs struggle to get sponsors now, they don't need more competition.
So I ask again, what has so dramatically changed in that time, that a regional team, based well over an hour from it's nearest rival, is now no longer appropriate? No one has yet offered any decent answer to this. Why, Goddo, do you say specifically that "the time for that has passed"? What has changed?
Whats changed? 10-15 years ago Gosford was a quick fix option for a crowded Sydney in a game needing to cull Sydney teams to grow nationally. Now the games sights are set on bigger targets, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Wellington. Gosford just isnt in the mix.

rednblack

Juniors
yes ... people from Brisbane would prefer to follow a team called Ipswich

then a team called Brisbane :sarcasm:

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

So, you're saying that if Canberra had been named after Fyshwick, no one in the ACT would support them, because they don't live in that suburb? Are you for real? The issue with the names is to provide a sense of ownership, of identity, and of community within the team and their supporters.

It's a matter of relevance, and a point of reference. A one team town may get away with it, but if you ever hope to have more than one team in Brisbane (which I agree SHOULD happen at some point), then each will have to identify their own place in the NRL landscape. Another team called simply "Brisbane" would not provide this. They would be another generic club, with no identity, and nothing for potential supporters to relate to, in a sense of ownership or belonging. They will simply divide the current market.

that is all ;-)

rednblack

Juniors
hmmm

about 3500
& thats what we'd get regularly to home games from that area if they got a side in , & not many more :sarcasm:

& expecting people from westmead to follow them... for some reason :crazy::crazy:

like I said

Wow, you made up those figure pretty quick! Didn't hurt yourself, did you?

Where do you come up with your crap? 10% of attendees from Ipswich eh? Where did that come from, or is it just plucked from the air?

And what makes you think people won't go to watch their own team (ie: Ipswich) play? Any supporting data or philosophies that you'd like to share with the class?

Moron.

rednblack

Juniors
- free to air slots are important for clubs to generate value from sponsors, fans and brand awareness.

This can only be important for clubs who are actually SHOWN on free to air. If 9 (or anyone else) chooses the games they want (which would ALWAYS include brisbane, brisbane 2, perth), then how do the rest of the clubs gain from free to air slots, if they don't get to build their brand awareness, and their sponsors get no air-time?

Goddo

Bench
This can only be important for clubs who are actually SHOWN on free to air. If 9 (or anyone else) chooses the games they want (which would ALWAYS include brisbane, brisbane 2, perth), then how do the rest of the clubs gain from free to air slots, if they don't get to build their brand awareness, and their sponsors get no air-time?
A fixed draw will help somewhat with this issue. But broadcasters will always prefer to show local content if possible, especially into the biggest markets.

Since they only have so many games to chose from each week, Sydney club vs Brisbane club games will be most desirable.

Now if there are 9 Sydney and 1 Brisbane, how much exposure will the Sydney clubs get? How much will that 1 Brisbane club get?

What happens if you make it 10 & 1, versus 9 & 2? Its not rocket science. The game needs more teams in metro Brisbane, it doesn't need more metro Sydney teams.

Its Still called Brisbane champ ... not Ipswich , don't need to live there to know that :roll:

that is all ;-)

Nope the 2.1 million is the S.E.Qld (minus Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast) not just Brisbane by itself. I suggest you stop right here, it's quite clear that you don't know what you're talking about and are just having random guesses.

If you don't understand Brisbane or the S.E. QLD demographics, where the people live and where the rugby league nurseries are then go post else where since this is the main points of your mindless objective.

Brisbane locals love their Broncos, love their Origin, love their XXXX and aren't very acceptive of changes. A second Brisbane team called Brisbane, based in Brisbane is Crushers v.2. Won't work, won't be sustainable and will not be well supported post-honey moon period. Ipswich has far more potential, not as a city but as a region. Once you understand these crucial elements then you can resume your pointless rants.

yeah we're close enough

I mean 300K is pretty close to

80K..... isnt it ? :sarcasm::crazy::roll:

Let's see the area's which will be incorporated into the Ipswich bid/franchise is

Logan has 282,673
Ipswich has 168,131
Toowoomba has 128,600
Lockyer Valley has 38,304

combined total of 617,708 which shits on Canberra. While in the mean time the Bears bid/franchise will have the Central Coast + North Sydney has 1.1 million.

Do you really want to continue this?

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Nope the 2.1 million is the S.E.Qld (minus Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast) not just Brisbane by itself. I suggest you stop right here, it's quite clear that you don't know what you're talking about and are just having random guesses.

No I suggest you're the one who should stop as you're sounding stupider with every post

its Brisbane .... its not called anything else
its not called SE Qld minus the Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast :?

when you ask someone who lives in SW Brisbane ... where they live

they don't say
" oh.. I live in SE Qld minus the Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast "... :eek:

they say I live in Brisbane :roll:

that is all ;-)

No I suggest you're the one who should stop as you're sounding stupider with every post

its Brisbane .... its not called anything else
its not called SE Qld minus the Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast :?

when you ask someone who lives in SW Brisbane ... where they live

they don't say
" oh.. I live in SE Qld minus the Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast "... :eek:

they say I live in Brisbane :roll:

that is all ;-)

How am I sounding stupider? Because you don't agree with logic and common sense? Because you'd rather believe your opinions, someone who doesn't live here instead of a local? Whose very job takes me to all parts of S.E.Qld? I know my stuff very well, 20+ years experience + my family's on top of that.

Also no they don't. You ask any local where they are from and they'll tell you Ipswich, Logan, Redlands (Bayside), Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, north side of Brisbane, south side of Brisbane, Caboolture, Samford or Springfield. When interstate a Brisbane local might say I'm from Brisbane but I actually live in this part, just to keep it simple for people like yourself whom obviously lack the brain power to know the difference. Keep trying mate. I know my shit, evidently you don't know yours.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
So, you're saying that if Canberra had been named after Fyshwick, no one in the ACT would support them, because they don't live in that suburb? Are you for real? The issue with the names is to provide a sense of ownership, of identity, and of community within the team and their supporters.

It's a matter of relevance, and a point of reference. A one team town may get away with it, but if you ever hope to have more than one team in Brisbane (which I agree SHOULD happen at some point), then each will have to identify their own place in the NRL landscape. Another team called simply "Brisbane" would not provide this. They would be another generic club, with no identity, and nothing for potential supporters to relate to, in a sense of ownership or belonging. They will simply divide the current market.

that is all ;-)

are you for real :sarcasm:.... what a lame ridiculous analogy

a better one would have been if the Raiders had been called Queanbeyan
which was strongly suggested they should of been in 1981 ... pushed because the Queanbeyan Leagues club was bankrolling the venture
the size of Queanbeyan ( just 25K at the time ) was not thought not to be a problem because 250K people lived next door in the ACT

but wiser heads prevailed
it was thought that if they'd called the Raiders .. Queanbeyan , then Canberrans would not support them
It was argued .... why would they ?

a bloody good question
it would have marginalised the team & limited its potential to attract the maximum numb of fans

the ranting clowns who suggested this were over ruled
just as the clowns in here suggesting almost exactly the same thing
need to be too

that is all ;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the reality is it will come down to:

1. Most value to TV deal (other clubs benefit)
2. Team that is sustainable with min NRL extra support (other clubs benefit)

anything else is pretty much irrelevant, Gallop has said as much. Sadly RL still does not have the resources or vision to decide where it wants to be over the next 25 years and come up with a long term plan to get there.

Still waiting to hear a logical reason why expansion can't happen in 2014 rather than 2015? They could be calling for bids in Jan/Feb, deciding by May, that would give a 18 month lead in time for the new clubs. Given some of the bids have been working on things for years already it is not like they are starting from scratch in a lot of areas of operation. You get the benefit of 4 seasons of extra games rather than 3 and the bids don't lose their momentum and backing by having to wait longer than necessary.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
hmmm

about 3500

like I said

Again, do you actually have anything to back this magical 10% number up?

Your Katoomba/ANZ/Weastmead analogy is so wide of the mark its lol worthy

You are just making shit up and clearly have no idea about the Brisbane area or the Broncos fan base.

Latest posts