What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 14 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
We're over the hump and, with Origin one done and dusted, it really is the mid-season, winter slog, upon us all.

Things are dark and cold in Sydney (with the Blues result last night not helping that) and what better way to kick off the round on Friday with St George v Wests, two of the town's strugglers. Gee, Benji needs a win. We know he signed up for this but, still, you have to feel for such a positive guy, lumbered with the (footy) love of his life, turning up loss after loss.

Saturday, has an intriguing Titans v Souths. The former can't keep losing if they think things are on the up and Souths have had a recent win and know it's what they should be doing more of. Fifita v Mitchell, two big Origin rejects. Who will step up for their club in lieu of a state call-up?

Steamy Townsville sees the Cowboys host the Warriors. Here's another two sides that just can't afford to lose, or else their mid-season climb up the ladder will be in serious jeopardy. NQ have to be favourites simply by way of their record against the Warriors up there. But are NZ better prepared these days?

Reece-less Brisbane have the mis-stepping Sharks to contend with. Heaps at stake, the Broncos can slip from the eight, Cronulla can undo all their table-topping good work, if they come second here.

Sunday, Melbourne's defence should shut out Newcastle's blunt attack and then score enough themselves for a comfortable win. Then it's on to Penrith where the Origin-affected Panthers host Manly, who have a couple of Origin stars a bit battered too. The Sea Eagles might be just a bit too far from the beach, which is often the case when they venture too far west.

We close with Sydney again, on the public holiday, Canterbury and Parramatta, on the fortieth anniversary of the 1984 GF, where the Bulldogs ended the Eels' three-year reign. Unbelievably, winning four-in-a-row does happen though, just ask Penrith in October!

Enjoy.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Tough tipping round with not knowing who will back up.

Ive tipped Manly in the expectation that ivan will rest Yeo, Martin etc, if they played I’d tip the other way

Similar in the Broncs game with Haas and Hynes

Blair

Coach
Tough tipping round with not knowing who will back up.

Ive tipped Manly in the expectation that ivan will rest Yeo, Martin etc, if they played I’d tip the other way

Similar in the Broncs game with Haas and Hynes
We'll never know but it would be interesting to know which team won the Premiership, which teams made the finals, in what order, and so on, if Origin never existed.

What I am happy about is that the idea to have an 'Origin weekend' seems to have been canned. That drove me up the wall. Boring Wednesdays are for NSW v Qld, and leave the weekend for what is left of our beloved club stuff!

Blair

Coach
Guys, next weekend I'm returning to Wellington after 30 years! I'm not expecting to still see La Luna, Ecstasy Plus, Paradiso, Tattou, Trekkers, all those joints on Blair Street (no pun intended), et al, still around! But I do want a nice sort of place to watch the Storm game?

Who knows Welly bars and clubs? Preferrably somewhere my 24-year-old former self wouldn't go!

I'm staying in the CBD.

JJ

Immortal
Been tough tipping even when we know who’s playing, tough round, every game could go either way I reckon

Blair

Coach
A late try, against momentum, for Wests to end the half 14-12 ahead.

Where's Fatty on a Friday night? It's not the same.

Bugger, the Tigers kept inviting the Dragons down to the danger end with penalties, and have been punished.

18-14, Dragons, early in the 2nd Half.

Good news for Wests is that Adam Doueihi is back next week, starting in NSW Cup. He's had a dreadful run of injuries.

Poor Benji, poor Tigers, it's a rout in the 'Gong. Time for bed. 56-14, final.

Last edited:

Big Marn

Bench
put a line through the Tigers if you hadnt already.
50-burger score means they join the Dragons and Rabbits as teams that "officially" cant win the premiership.

Blair

Coach
Souths have raced out of the hutch, 10-0.

The Titans' body language looks bad. That needs to be fixed, and soon.

Edit: 46-12, Souths. Final. Dear oh dear, Titans! That might knock their momentum for six. As for Souths, this might turn their season around. Mitchell was obviously playing for his Origin spot and probably nailed it.

Last edited:

nswarrior

Juniors
Newcastle playing well and leading Melbourne.

Not good for us if Melbourne lose - Belmey will tear them a new one and they will be fired up more then usual against us

Blair

Coach
Newcastle playing well and leading Melbourne.

Not good for us if Melbourne lose - Belmey will tear them a new one and they will be fired up more then usual against us
Thankfully Melbourne held on for a 34-28 win. But Bellamy will still be tearing a strip out of them right now.

Blair

Coach
How much pressure is starting to build on Todd Payten?
My former deep Parra-mole is full of juicy goss. Apparently Seibold stormed out of 'contract extension talks' because he didn't get what he wanted.

Manly have 'been after Brad Arthur for ten years' and he's hot talk at Brookvale right now. Ditto at Townsville with the Cowboys. Both Seibold and Payten may make way.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ha, my math was a couple of points out, a 10 point win for the Panthers was enough to put us into 9th!