What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 4 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Easter is here, with all its biblical overtones, and the like, playing out in a round of footy. But the only one I'm really concerned about is who 'gets the chocolates' at Mt Smart on Sunday.

Tonight, it's the clash of the titans (yes, I know that's Greek mythology) at Emporer Nick's flash new cauldron (sorry guys, it might be a long weekend) in Sydney. The Roosters host Penrith (and their babarian fans) in what could be the game of the season thus far. A few Panther injuries might make the Chooks favourites.

Friday, it's far from good with Souths. I hope they win though, despite liking a Dogs mini resurrection (jeez, that one wasn't even planned), as I don't want them winless when they face us next week. The Broncos v Cowboys is definitely good though, even if Reece Lightening is out.

Saturday, St George must beat Manly, by the sea at Wollongong, or they risk heading into an early-season crisis. The Titans (not worthy of this moniker in the context of this post! Unless irony is a biblical reference) host fellow Qld'ers Redcliffe. Toss an ancient coin to pick a winner.

Sunday, is the Warrior resurrection (I meant that one) a false dawn? We look shaky, and the Knights looked good last week upsetting the Storm. Cronulla v Raiders is another coin toss for punters.

We close out with Parra v Wests. I can't think of an eel or a tiger in the bible, let alone an analogy including both. Let's just hope the Tigers back up from last week's glory at their spiritual 'fortress'. The cold, concrete bowl of Parra Stadium awaits.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
A lot of cases of it, but will be feeling old again tonight when Marks son Mavrik Geyer runs out for Penrith
interested in how he goes - good genes with Geyer and Alexander... watched that footage where he talked about his uncles playing for them too, feel old as well, and the Ben Alexander situation was so tragic, in some ways like Sonny Fai here except it destroyed a potential dynasty

Blair

Coach
interested in how he goes - good genes with Geyer and Alexander... watched that footage where he talked about his uncles playing for them too, feel old as well, and the Ben Alexander situation was so tragic, in some ways like Sonny Fai here except it destroyed a potential dynasty
I still think Sonny Fai's death left a void in the centres with us for a number of years. With a big, natural centre like him, we perhaps could've broken our premiership duck in '09-11.

Maybe even beyond that too, as, if you think about it, if Cleary was more successful between '09 and mid-'11 he may not have been moved on.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I still think Sonny Fai's death left a void in the centres with us for a number of years. With a big, natural centre like him, we perhaps could've broken our premiership duck in '09-11.

Maybe even beyond that too, as, if you think about it, if Cleary was more successful between '09 and mid-'11 he may not have been moved on.
Yep both tragedies leave us with what ifs…. Partly why I’m happy with Penrith having historic dominance now, 90-91 they were great, and now almost an afterthought between Canberra and Brisbane, they literally self combusted

And yes, Fai might have been special

😓

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I can’t understand at all how the Roosters try was awarded just before halftime, clear cut dropped ball for me, and then the 2nd Teruva try being awarded after the Roosters 2nd rower has contact with the Panthers player is extremely confusing after the Jake one last week and the JWH one earlier

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yep both tragedies leave us with what ifs…. Partly why I’m happy with Penrith having historic dominance now, 90-91 they were great, and now almost an afterthought between Canberra and Brisbane, they literally self combusted

And yes, Fai might have been special

😓

Yep, very tough situations. Must be very tough for some of the Manly players at the moment who witnessed Titmuss pass away at pre season training, and have then had to relive the ordeal again giving their accounts recently in some sort of official proceedings

Reactions: JJ
I can’t understand at all how the Roosters try was awarded just before halftime, clear cut dropped ball for me, and then the 2nd Teruva try being awarded after the Roosters 2nd rower has contact with the Panthers player is extremely confusing after the Jake one last week and the JWH one earlier
Bunker seems to be watching a different game this year and making it up depending in the shirts or player they see

Blair

Coach
22-16 , the undermanned Panthers held out a late flurry from the Chooks.

The Mavrik thing was a little overdone I thought. A whole section of the crowd in special t-shirts? Is that what I saw? How's this guy supposed to have his feet on the ground?

Meth

Staff member
22The Mavrik thing was a little overdone I thought. A whole section of the crowd in special t-shirts? Is that what I saw? How's this guy supposed to have his feet on the ground?

Probably family and friends. No big deal

Blair

Coach
Probably family and friends. No big deal.
There were a lot of them, then. I hope they chill out next time. Post-game Nine even cut away from 'Jesus' (Luai) to show the 'Mav' be anointed by his followers.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Probably family and friends. No big deal
That’s excactly what it was. It was an organised group of the Geyer and Alexander families. (Greg is his uncle). The guy is the next generation of TWO families from Penrith’s first great period, so it’s inevitable there’s some excitement.

Latest posts