1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Johnny88, Aug 23, 2015.

1. LESStar58

LESStar58 Referee

I refuse to read any News publications or websites to do with News since the infamous "we have always preferred AFL" line. Can't bring myself to read the links provided on here either.

News and their employees are just so bitter it is not even funny. I can't believe that the NRL are just going to stand by and wear this scuttlebutt from Hooper, Sloth and Bourbon Beccy and their ilk.

2. insert.pause

insert.pause First Grade

*written by News Corp

Such a blatant throw away & grammatically incorrect line that is quite obviously a fabrication, if it was real it would be front and centre of story with a copy of the alleged email included. Where is it?

WRONG, AGAIN! thy need 15/16 clubs as well as BOTH the QRL & NSWRL!

3. elbusto

elbusto Coach

With you mate. Getting all my league news from here and Fairfax

4. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

They probably think Rugby League has never done anything for them :roll:

[​IMG]

5. Eion

Eion First Grade

I've also dumped News from my news feed. SMH and ABC, I am done with News. Full stop.

6. drago brelli

drago brelli Bench

Little ripper....this will mean the Illawarra Steelers can finally come back.

7. Chook Norris

Chook Norris First Grade

"Journalism" :lol: Hooper what a disgrace and clown

8. Wizardman

Wizardman First Grade

Regardless of what happens from here, Im going to always back David Smith for standing up to those merkins who have truly milked our game for years and almost destroyed it with Super League. He made a very brave but correct play to make News Limited truly pay their way.
    If this so-called Super League 2 ever had to happen, that would be the day I walk away from the game for good.

9. carlosthedwarf

carlosthedwarf First Grade

No one actually involved in the game and not just broadcasting it who went through this last time will let it happen again

10. insert.pause

insert.pause First Grade

Despite what some may think of him, can't deny the man has balls!

11. docbrown

docbrown Coach

1. This is News Limited bullshit.
    2. It is designed to pit rugby league against its own kind to divide its forces in order to destroy the game’s bargaining power. If you side with News Limited and/or support such actions you are in effect weakening the game. This isn’t about partisanship; this is just a cold hard fact.
    3. There would be a lawsuit by the ARLC against any rebel club and the governing body would likely win given that the clubs themselves created the ARLC and endorsed them with independent authority. Any such actions would cost the clubs money in exorbitant legal fees.
    4. Cutting out the 4 clubs under the NRL’s wings – Knights, Tigers, Dragons & Titans – would gut support. In fact the whole sniff of a Super League Mark 2 organised under News Limited would have an impact on crowds and fan interest. It will cost the break away clubs even more.
    5. The ARLC owns the State of Origin, Australian Kangaroos etc properties.
    6. But prior to anything like that occurring – which I agree is highly unlikely -- they’d have to be able pass a no-confidence vote which would simply change the management. It would be News Limited’s desire that the new officials be people whom they have a degree of control over. This in effect would be a coup d’état. I think this would be News Limited’s desire intent but it’s also unlikely to happen give what they need to pass the motion.
    7. Any new rights deal that breaks the 9 agreement will come with a several legal/financial penalty.
    8. A breakaway competition under News Limited influence (via control of commissioners etc) would likely receive a lower broadcast rights deal as they’re taking competitive tension out of the negotiations. It would likely returned to a scenario where the Gallop puppet simply asks News what they’re going to pay and gets told a figure. Ultimately when you consider this and all the legal costs, any action that allows News Limited to gain more influence in the game is going to hurt rugby league.

The NRL best strategy is for the commissioners & upper management to remain silent and instead get all 16 clubs to simply say we support the NRL CEO and the commission and all rumours of a breakaway competition are lies.

12. mikeob

mikeob Juniors

Me too.

Joseph Goebbels would be proud of rubbish like this. But we had better get used to it because there is going to be plenty more. However almost all of us will see it for what it is....an insult to our intelligence.

13. Eddie Lab

Eddie Lab Juniors

really hope that after this meeting on Monday we get re commitment from all the clubs, like get SMH to get a quote from each teams CEO. other then that I hope that the NRL side of this keep quiet and let news foam at the mouth and look foolish.

14. some11

some11 Coach

They're actually running with this crap on the Sunday Footy Show.

Yeah, they're gonna break away from another cash windfall in 2018, get f**ked newscorpse.

15. docbrown

docbrown Coach

David Smith should just stay in the background.

You organise a press conference with all 16 club chairmen gathered (no NRL reps), elect one of the chairmen as spokesman and get them to tow the NRL line with no equivocations.

That takes the sting out of News Limited's main argument - that David Smith has caused division.

16. insert.pause

insert.pause First Grade

Creepy claiming the telegraph are just the messengers, lol

Yes Creepy, the shoulder charge rule & third party rules is a reason to revolt and create a breakaway league, f**king moron! The more the telegraph pushes this agenda the more galvanised the clubs will become, they know the right side is not the side of f**king NewsCorp & the the telegraph.

17. insert.pause

insert.pause First Grade

You know News Corp are struggling when even Freddy can see straight through their bullshit.

18. thorson1987

thorson1987 Coach

What did he say?

19. Nugget10

Nugget10 Juniors

Oh Freddy you magnificent bastard. Freddy pretty much called Crawley out on the fact that News are hammering the league. It was a little tense

20. insert.pause

insert.pause First Grade

Creepy was trying to talk up a revolt and Freddy was just laughing it off sarcastically saying 'we all look forward to reading your article, gonna beat up on the league' etc