What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rules out expansion in 2006

CULLUS.ONLINE said:
Does anyone know the financial outlook of the Sharks at the moment?

It would be intresting to see the direction in which they are heading.

Profitable for at least the last three years from memory. Currently in the process of seeking approval to develop the site around Toyota Park to provide other revenue streams.

CULLUS.ONLINE said:
Sharks/Dolphins = same thing (yeah, i know they arn't but still)

LOL.

CULLUS.ONLINE said:
But in a perfect world we would still have Norths, Balmain, Wests and all the other clubs!

Maybe so, but what's done is done. You have to look at where we go from here. If there is a team on the Gold Coast it will be the Dolphins - the consortium have that sewn up in my view. And I don't believe the Dragons would just be able to absorb the Sutherland Shire into its fan base - we hate them and they hate us and that's the way we like it. :lol:

grayham

Juniors
Razor said:
50% goes directly to News Limited's Super League $220 million debt

Actually News Ltd take their share as profit, and an extra $10mil. That $10mil is the only thing that takes off their debt. The other money is for them to keep.

And no one forced News Ltd to spend $220mil on Super League. A lot of people would have preferred it if they didn't.

$10m wouldnt even cover interest on a $220m debt. Even at a very low 5% interest rate, the RL would need to pay back $11m p.a.

Does that mean the $220m debt will never be repaid ?

ash the bash

Juniors
It seems know that the GC stadium is not going to be rectangular, they will make it into an all purpose stadium catering for League,yawnion and Afl...

Thought i might add that in :cry: :cry:
which is a pity...

CycloneSteve

Juniors
I think it was a wise move for mind. When Super League collapsed and the NRL was formed, the clubs all voted on a 14 team structure. Now Souths were allowed back in because the courts said so. But bringing a new team in ruins that agreement that was made.
Plus expansion has failed in the past. 20 teams at one stage.....crazy. It was wise to wait.

dimitri

First Grade
i thought rugby league was great in 1995 when there were 20 teams

it only went downhill when super league came in

mightybears

Bench
there was nothing wrong with 20 teams
diehard, i don't see any afl team moving to the gc on a permanent basis so i think carrara will stay as is [even with the southport sharks and mayor "bomber"clarke]

its fun to see, with a few exceptions that everyone wants to move someone else's team!

norths were moving to gosford on a permanent full time basis[thats why they put all into the stadium], they were the only sydney team committed to the central coast [in 1998]

while some cc people wanted a " fresh slate" , the bears playing all home matches there would have got the cc people behind the team