What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Maximus

Coach
I had no idea this technology existed until you and AFL Red pointed it out.

Can you tell me about telephones next please?

You must be a medical expert then right?

You did read what he responded to right? Or are you just that obsessed with him that you follow him around and post dumb shit whenever he posts?

Iamback

Coach
Again though, is it being argued that the fund be at the RLPAs discretion?

I think the fact some players are overpaid clouds the argument. What about the players that fade away but have Chris Lawrence hip and struggle to work a 'real job'? That's the issue. It's easy to build in a means test

That is what they want, The NRL has offered $200m and both sides run it together. The RLPA want full control.

For every Chris Lawrence there is Sam Burgess and GI.

Both medically retired, Sam Burgess now has a high paying job as an assistant coach.

GI went to ESL after the NRL, Cases like that player should take care of operations that arise outside the 12 month window

Iamback

Coach
Where have NRL players requested unlimited coverage?

NFL players who were on a roster for at least 3 years have medical cover for 5 years post retirement, and after the 5 years they can pay a yearly fee to stay on the insurance plan for the rest of their life.

MLB players on a roster for at least 1 day receive unlimited cover for 5 years, and then can buy in for unlimited cover for the rest of their life.

AFL players have cover for the rest of their life, and can get reimbursed $6-8000 for medical costs

12 months is ridiculous

We have had Beau Ryan and Galuvao both mention post playing support, 1 retired in 2013, 1 in 2014,

Baseball aside has no other comps to go play in, Happy for NRL to have that provided the player doesn't go to ESL or play in the country after NRL.

They are still some type of user pays, So no different to health insurance that would limit the payouts. The only issue would be the player getting the time off their job to recover

Even the AFL one is capped to stop rorting, Whatever system comes in needs to stop rorting

Wb1234

Referee
Player pr campaign is a shambles
That is what they want, The NRL has offered $200m and both sides run it together. The RLPA want full control.

For every Chris Lawrence there is Sam Burgess and GI.

Both medically retired, Sam Burgess now has a high paying job as an assistant coach.

GI went to ESL after the NRL, Cases like that player should take care of operations that arise outside the 12 month window
excellent point about Inglis and burgess

which of course the players won’t talk about because it doesn’t suit their narrative

Pneuma

First Grade
And good on you. League Unlimited’s biggest know all deserves it. Dishes it out and can’t take it. On a different note I’d hope they sort out this player agreement later this week. It’s now starting to play against the season and the air needs to be cleared now.

Iamback

Coach
And good on you. League Unlimited’s biggest know all deserves it. Dishes it out and can’t take it. On a different note I’d hope they sort out this player agreement later this week. It’s now starting to play against the season and the air needs to be cleared now.

From the Interviews the NRL put out yesterday they seem wanting to sort it out

Wb1234

Referee
It’ll be sorted this week

Newtown literally said they will now negotiate points whilst previously they hadn’t moved much on their claims

This was on the NRL's website yesterday -

This is the RLPA response -

Pneuma

First Grade
This was on the NRL's website yesterday -

This is the RLPA response -

Aren’t press releases a wonderful way of solving a problem?

Munky

Coach
If a near billion dollar negotiation isn't close to collapsing multiple times until it settles three minutes before the deadline is it really a negotiation?

If a near billion dollar negotiation isn't close to collapsing multiple times until it settles three minutes before the deadline is it really a negotiation?

There was an article in the SMH today (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...ick-off-three-day-summit-20230131-p5cgwr.html - sorry I can't access the article from here to post the full text) which said that the last CBA was in fact never actually signed. It was just implemented. The only thing that was actually signed by both parties was the Heads of Agreement document.

Iamback

Coach
The following article was published by the Sydney Morning Herald (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...ositive-meeting-in-month-20230201-p5ch7c.html) -

NRL moves a step closer to women’s CBA after most positive meeting in month​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

February 1, 2023 — 5.54pm

The NRL and the Rugby League Players’ Association have moved a step closer to finalising a new collective bargaining agreement for female players after what was described as the most constructive meeting in months.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and RLPA boss Clint Newton spent five hours together at Rugby League Central in Moore Park on Wednesday on the second day of a three-day lock-in to try and finalise a deal.

While a deal for the male players remains some way off, there is hope that an agreement can be reached for the female players by the end of next week.

The RLPA and the NRL are working towards a proposal that can be taken back to the players in the hope of agreeing to what would be the first CBA for the game’s female players.

Sources with knowledge of the talks who spoke anonymously due to the confidentiality of the negotiations told the Herald the previously hostile nature of discussions had simmered.

While issues such as maternity leave remain unsolved, there were constructive discussions about the representative scheduling for NRLW players and both parties left the meeting with a greater understanding of the claims and terms that have been the topics of negotiation.

The development comes after Abdo told the Herald on Monday that he blamed the RLPA’s unwillingness to compromise for the stalemate that is threatening to derail the start of the NRL season on March 2.

“This argument that the NRL hasn’t prioritised or shown respect to the players is simply not true,” Abdo told the Herald.

“We have spent months listening and refining our offers to the RLPA for a new CBA. The RLPA have not shown much movement in their statements of claims over this period. In my view, the prioritisation and compromise has been one-sided. We could shake hands now, and accept every claim being made.

“My life would become a whole lot easier and we could get back to focusing on growing the sport. But we are custodians for the game. We can’t send the game bankrupt. The accountability for thinking long-term and in the best interests of all stakeholders sits with the commission.
“As CEO of the NRL, I am accountable to get a deal done. It needs to be a fair and reasonable deal. I take that very seriously. However, in order to do that I need to be able to work with a counterparty that’s willing to prioritise and compromise.”

The discussion around the men’s CBA has been put on hold until a position is agreed upon for the women’s game.

The RLPA is fighting for a $200 million benefits fund, which would include financial support for injury hardship money and medical retirement. One of the sticking points remains the NRL’s reluctance to hand over the money without control over how that money is divided.

Latest posts