What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Team List Wednesday - Big League Magazine

NRL_Fanatic

Juniors
Hi guys, long time reader, very rare poster.

Anyway I've heard bits and pieces on the radio/twitter over the past couple of day but I came across an exert from this piece by Western Weekender editor Troy Dodds today and I noticed there hasn't been anything put on here about this.

http://www.troydodds.com.au/opinion/rugby-leagues-greatest-threat/
Talking of communication issues, the latest issue bubbling away at the NRL is one over the issuing of weekend team lists.

Traditionally released on a Tuesday, team line-ups will now be issued on a Wednesday.

This is a major issue for Big League magazine, often referred to as the game’s bible. They confirmed to me via Twitter on Monday that there was no guarantee they’d be able to print team lists this season because of the change to Wednesdays. Their print and distribution deadlines are the key issue.

The NRL will effectively kill off a 95 year tradition of the match day program if it does go ahead with changing the team lists to Wednesday.

Such a change would affect publications such as ours, too, but the only information available on all of this comes from the NRL rumour mill.

Despite the season being just weeks away and a major structural change being made, the NRL hasn’t told the wider media about the change.

An email from me to the NRL’s media department last week seeking some clarification has not received a reply or any acknowledgement.

It's certainly something I would find worrying. Big League has been something of an institution in our sport and I can't imagine what it would do to the magazine without the team lists. I think I'd be like a lot of other people who collect the magazine each week. I understand there are other ways to have team lists these days but it's not so easy looking up under-20s teams or lower grade sides which is what I tend to use the magazine for. Plus, has anyone else tried getting reception while at matches?

Plus there about the only publication that doesn't try and sensationalise EVERYTHING in our sport.

Very disappointing from the NRL.

Last edited by a moderator:

ACTPanthers

Bench
And there are some who complain about it being on a Tues as there are teams still travelling and recovering from games on Mon - Never going to please everyone mate.

franklin2323

Immortal
You are flat out getting a text message let alone checking the net. Crazy stuff what difference will an extra day make anyway

betcats

Referee
And there are some who complain about it being on a Tues as there are teams still travelling and recovering from games on Mon - Never going to please everyone mate.

Who is the change to Wednesday pleasing? I heard it was because they wanted more accurate team list which imo is dumb as shit, One day isnt going to make a big difference in that, many times players get given until kick off too get the all clear to play.

POPEYE

Coach
You can easily solve that problem by axing MNF which is shit. American shit.

Best game of the week ol' mate, especially when you get up every morning and say to yourself 'What do you want to do today' and can't tell a weekday from a weekend . . . at a guess I'd say MNF games on average are the most closely contested games of all, why I do not know

betcats

Referee
These kinds changes are fairly typical in the banking world. The division I work in was renamed and restructured 3 or 4 times in as many years because some executive kept wanting it to happen

It is so when it comes time for them to move on/up they can say "I identified a better way of doing this, this and this and I implemented these changes"..etc. A lot of these kinds of changes happening in the NRL recently, little tiky tak things whick skirt around the main issues, which are of course more difficult to fix.

Canard

Immortal
What's the point of having team lists that aren't accurate anyway? Big League should just print "likely" team rosters

The deadline should be Thursday night in my opinion. That way it's likely to be more relevant and accurate.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Good. Big League is a waste of time anyway.

'Footy bible' is no different from any publication that needs mindless followers, the trick with League is to understand it, watch it and come to your own conclusions. Unless you like a bet, which means you're not interested in the game for the right reason, doesn't matter a tuppenny f**k who plays

ACTPanthers

Bench
FYI I wasn't arguing for either day - Just pointing out that you can't please every one :)

Bulldog Force said:
You can easily solve that problem by axing MNF which is shit. American shit.

Agreed

betcats

Referee
FYI I wasn't arguing for either day - Just pointing out that you can't please every one :)

Agreed

Yeah I know mate, didnt mean to sound aggresive or anything it just seems like the change to wednesdays doesnt really fix what they want it to, team lists will be a little more accurate but you would think most changes to teamlists are happening after wednesday anyway.

betcats

Referee
What's the point of having team lists that aren't accurate anyway? Big League should just print "likely" team rosters

The deadline should be Thursday night in my opinion. That way it's likely to be more relevant and accurate.

The player numbers stay the same though even if the team changes, its how some people tell who is who.

NRL_Fanatic

Juniors
The player numbers stay the same though even if the team changes, its how some people tell who is who.

In all honesty it's also about the lower grades anyway. Under-20s, and NSW Cup. When you get there early it's very handy to know who is who and who you're watching.

insert.pause

First Grade
Why would it affect something called 'The Western WEEKENDER'?

News Corp, as publishers of Big League, are the only ones kicking up a stink about it. The changes reflect a wider push from the NRL to better leverage their own exclusive content throughout the NRL Club Network and grow their digital platforms.

GongPanther

Referee
And there are some who complain about it being on a Tues as there are teams still traveling and recovering from games on Mon - Never going to please everyone mate.

Too right,it's too soon for clubs to name teams on a Tuesday afternoon,especially after a Monday Night Football game.

Common sense would tell you that naming sides is more possible these days towards a tighter deadline for the Big League mag as printing,distribution these days isn't as complicated as it used to be.

And for the Big League,that is an extra day that gives them to publish extra features and stories.

The scribes in that magazine have an extra day and less of a deadline to contribute.

betcats

Referee
And for the Big League,that is an extra day that gives them to publish extra features and stories.

The scribes in that magazine have an extra day and less of a deadline to contribute.

Gibbsy explained this on his radio show, basically the delay in team announcements will cause a delay in printing the magazine which will send their distrubution costs through the roof and just not be feasible.

Last edited: