What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozhawk66

Juniors
ozjet1 said:
haven't read the whole thread but, of what i've seen, i totally agree.

the argument of many league fans here that the american football is a game only for fat fellas certainly haven't seen the likes of LaDainlain Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and co in full flight.

ozhawks preoccupation on injuries is worrisome. but, the excessive padding is required in American football. the nature of the game is such that in the early years (pre-helmet), there were many serious head injuries from direct clashes. it is extremely violent on the line of scrimmage.

nicely said (for the most part). two different games yes, but both have their roots in rugby. the forward pass in american football revolutionised that game. but, i enjoy both games greatly.

The aspect of catastrophic injuries was not a preoccupation on my part, it was done by me in pointing out the the physical differences between the two sports and how profound those differences are. It's a telling example in the physical nature between the two sports; endurance included.

I also said, in context of this subject, that it's also one of the most screwed and sad parts of the game. I also said it's not bragging when you bring up this reality that is a part of American football.

I love football and enjoy league, and I'd probably enjoy league more if I had some sort of natural affiliation towards a league team. But I don't, of course.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Bomber said:
By popular request, here are some more fatty phopahs for you to feast your eyes on. Remember, these are the elite NFL players in Australia.

[/i]

Marvel at their superior athleticism.
Ravensv'Cats-beatenonthepass.jpg

Be awestruck at their masterful skill.
SeniorWildcatsoffensevRhinos-Nerang240704.jpg

Bow down to the gods of the world game - American Football.
Wildcats2004groupteam.jpg

Phopah!

Haha, check out the bottom photo...second guy from the right, back row.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Choppies said:
See this is the point Ozhawk66 wants to make.
That these supreme examples of athletes are fitter than NRL players.

These chunky butts are fitter than NRL players according to Ozhawk.

Ummm, when was I leaning on fat Oz-butts as an example of better athletes?

This stupid debate trick of yours wouldn't fly in a grade screwl debate forum.

Choppies

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
Ummm, when was I leaning on fat Oz-butts as an example of better athletes?

This stupid debate trick of yours wouldn't fly in a grade screwl debate forum.

WTF????
Was that English?

Oh just so Ozdork can understand

WFT?????
qws thst Ebgkisj?

Bomber

Bench
This stupid debate trick of yours wouldn't fly in a grade screwl debate forum

We have schools in Australia, not screwls.

What a fine education you must have received in America.

You don't know the difference between "you're" and "your"
You don't know how to spell 'explain'
Or 'school'
Or 'plagarise', 'centralise', 'agonise', etc.

I bet you don't even put beetroot on your burgers, you yankee prick

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
According to ozhawk66, this man is more skillful and is a better athlete than any rugby league player......because he plays American football.........

It's not because of American football. It's just that there is a difference between the talent level at the pro level of each sport. Hence the reason why 17/18 year old kids debut in the NRL, while that same kid in the states has 4-6 years, even before he's looked at by NFL coaches. There are exceptions, of course, but that is the norm of the NFL.

Choppies

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
It's not because of American football. It's just that there is a difference between the talent level at the pro level of each sport. Hence the reason why 17/18 year old kids debut in the NRL, while that same kid in the states has 4-6 years, even before he's looked at by NFL coaches. There are exceptions, of course, but that is the norm of the NFL.

so going by your age logic Gridiron is more skillful than Basketball and Soccer etc
Players playing in the NBA who started straight out of high school and thus around 17-18 years of age Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Kevin Garnett among others. and tons of 17-19 year old Soccer players debut in top sides each year around the world.

god your stupid.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
But wait! American football is now sweeping the world.

New Zealand
Shame on all of you. Check out #99. According to Ozhawk66, he's a better athlete than Sonny Bill Williams.

Sonny is a kid. Sonny would be made to look like kid on the collegiate football field. Forget about the NFL. Sonny would get hurt, quickly, and in a bad way in American football.

Heck, Sonny is hurt now. Imagine a 240 lb linebacker laying him out in a blindside tackle, going full throttle at 4.5 seconds in a 40 yd dash hurtin sort of time.

He'd be used for lunch appetizer, then spit out for the cheerleaders to laugh at. And I'm not exaggerating.

]

Choppies

Coach
Do you have Duracell batteries in you Ozhawk?
Cause you just keep coming back for more. Quite comical really.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
Okay then

Okay then

Post #3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego_man
Here's one for you:
"Athletes" in the NFL are fat, soft, extremely unfit and less skilled.
Athletes in the NRL are more toned, harder, 10x fitter and far more skilled.

Post #6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozhawk66
You are way off the mark on this one. Especially about the soft, unfit and less skilled parts.
NRL players are much smaller, slower and less toned, especially at the comparable skilled positions.
10x fitter? Now that one is a laugh.

Post #14:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozhawk66
You have no idea about the fitness or skill of NFL athletes. If you did, you could explain why the American football player is bigger, faster and stronger.

And by the way, it's a physical impossibility for an 18 year old kid like Bott to play in the NFL. That same 18 year old kid in American football needs anywhere from 4-6 years before he even steps on the NFL playing field.
And one of theeee main factors is endurance

:

Now that you have posted examples, how about trying to argue against them?

Bomber

Bench
Now that you have posted examples, how about trying to argue against them?

Hello dickhead.

My reply is about 50 pages back <------------- that-a-way

For the record, you didn't answer my questions.

I bet you don't even ride in the front seat of taxis either.....

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
Silence is golden from ozhawk66

That's cause you like the sound of silence in not being confronted in the hard questions I've posed to you, that you have chosen to ignore.

It's the easy way out for you and you seem to like it that way.

Bomber

Bench
It's the easy way out for you and you seem to like it that way.

The easy way out for you was to ignore this thread for a week.

I bet you don't even buy Dick Smith's peanut butter......

Bomber

Bench
msn.foxsports.com/ nfl/story/3310720

I was watching the NFL when I first felt it.

I felt thin.

Christmas turkey, New Year's champagne, Godiva chocolates, mom's fudge, the wife's cherry wink cookies -- I laugh in your face.

I am the king of thin.

I could pose for those male model catalogues, all lean and lanky in earth-tone shirts, my square jaw shaven but not that shaven, just slightly shaven to a manly, heroic kind of stubble. Like those rawboned studs, I look ready to mount up and clear brush and bring in cattle and pull Charlize Theron from a Class V rapids, after which the grateful damsel rescued from distress would say, "Don't you ever shave?"

I tell you, stand me sideways and I wouldn't cast a shadow, I'm so thin.

This pleasing realization of my streamlined silhouette came to me as I isolated on a key matchup in the first weekend of NFL playoff games.

It was No. 76 against No. 97.

I don't want to say they were fat, but between them, they outweighed Ethiopia.

Nor were they alone in their gargantuan girthdom. The guys who wore numbers in the 80s don't eat because they actually have to run. But everybody else from the 50s up bumped against each other until one of them fell down, feet scratching at the sky, unable to roll over. I assume these men live their lives under orders to get their body fat up to 110 percent. So they eat anything that doesn't move for 5 seconds, including sycamore trees.

3321594_36_1.jpg
Offensive linemen Kendyl Jacox (64) and Wayne Gandy play in an era when fat is in in the NFL. (Stephen Dunn / Getty Images)

The last time I saw so many fat guts, I had fallen asleep on the remote, and the TV wound up on the rare ESPN show that isn't poker.

It was sumo wrestling.

That, or Kornheiser and Wilbon wore really strange costumes for 30 seconds of shouting-head debate on Suzy Kolber-or-Michelle Tafoya.

Anyway, proud of my new svelteness, I thought of Nate Newton, now famous for having been arrested twice toting huge loads of marijuana, the last, 213 pounds' worth. He used to be famous for toting his own huge load, 350 pounds of Cowboys lineman. There had been other NFL fat boys. The Lions of the 1950s had Les Bingaman, a defensive lineman listed at 6-3 and 272 pounds, probably a hundred under his real weight. A Bingaman contemporary, Art Donovan of the Colts, ran near 300 pounds and said, "You know you're big when you sit in your bathtub and the water in the toilet rises."

Still, it was Newton who explained the Fat Age best. "Fat's in; steroids are out," he said before a Super Bowl. The NFL had created antisteroid rules still in effect today. (We pause for muffled laughter.) And he said, "Fat is what got me in the league. All those pretty steroid boys, they're gone. Now it's who's got the most jiggly." Newton claimed that if William Perry was "The Refrigerator," he was "The Kitchen."

Tall, lean and sculpted once was the NFL's favored body type for linemen. Three hundred pounds of jiggly was unusual 10 years ago, with maybe 40 such wide loads in the league. This season, according to a count of last-week rosters, an astonishing 441 players weighed 300 pounds or more. Curiously, the Redskins had five at exactly 300 pounds. Yeah, sure. Now put the other foot on the scale.

So it's hard today to tell the sumo wrestlers from the football players, though the football players, praise be, dress better for their bump-and-grind work. And sometimes those of us who are remarkably sylphlike wonder how anyone can get so fat.

3321598_36_1.jpg
The Hardee's Monster Thickburger. (Erik S. Lesser / Getty Images)

As luck would have it, just before Thanksgiving and in time for the run of holidays, NFL players provided a partial answer. They joined Hardee's to promote the fast-food restaurant's latest trademarked sandwich, the Monster Thickburger. In 10 NFL cities, players were to work at drive-through windows with proceeds from Monster Thickburger sales going to the player's charity of choice.

The Monster Thickburger is a weapon of mass destruction. It carries 1,420 calories. It is two one-third pound slabs of beef surrounded by three slices of cheese and four strips of bacon slathered over with mayonnaise under buttered sesame-seed buns the size of cow patties. Add medium french fries and a medium soft drink, it comes to 2,340 calories. It costs $7.09, and it is not true, not at all, that the Hardee's people soon will offer a Thickburger frequent-buyer coupon that would give you 10 percent off your first triple-bypass surgery.

But they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.