What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Well excuse me for being totally bored with the discussion when the way it's gone is I say something, you say it's impossible, I say it's worked for other people so obviously it is possible, and you ignore that and just reassert that it's impossible because you made up some numbers and your mates said so.

It's lame argumentation made by a person who refuses to be open minded to possibilities that they hadn't considered.

You say most stadiums in Australia aren't profitable, so what!?
Any business that is poorly setup and/or poorly run is likely to fail. Most restaurants fail for example, but that doesn't mean that restaurants can't be successful businesses.

Anybody with a brain can see that 99% of the stadiums in Australia either don't have enough tenants to be sustainable, aren't built to fit the needs of the market, are built in a bad location, or some mix of the three. Don't make those mistakes and live within your means and you could build a sustainable stadium business in Australia/NZ just like Docklands, the MCG, and stadiums all over the world have managed to do.

But again the value in the NRL owning a stadium would be in owning the land as an asset, not so much in the stadium it's self.
Mate, if you’re bored of the discussion, stop participating. You come across as a “holier than though, my ideas are impeccable” douchebag. Read the room, I think most other participants are sick of it too. Either chill the f**k out or piss off.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Mate, if you’re bored of the discussion, stop participating. You come across as a “holier than though, my ideas are impeccable” douchebag. Read the room, I think most other participants are sick of it too. Either chill the f**k out or piss off.
The worst part is you do have reasonable points regularly, you just act like a tool about it. Please just drop the shitty attitude and accept other people have different perspectives than you. That doesn’t automatically make them wrong.

T-Boon

Coach
Perth would actually be a possibility if they put an nrl club here. 3 tenants, get the state govt to gift some decent space with land value (the tennis centre next to Optus stadium would be perfect) and nrl build a $250mill perth rectangular stadium. Nrl get a $500mill plus asset, new nrl club gets a great home and perth benefits from a new rectangular stadium where it should be.

AFL would make that idea go away.

ash the bash

Juniors
its probably tied up in local council public use caveats like brookvale. Good luck getting a local council to sell lol

Perth would actually be a possibility if they put an nrl club here. 3 tenants, get the state govt to gift some decent space with land value (the tennis centre next to Optus stadium would be perfect) and nrl build a $250mill perth rectangular stadium. Nrl get a $500mill plus asset, new nrl club gets a great home and perth benefits from a new rectangular stadium where it should be.

Not to distract from NZ conversation but I always felt HBF park was in a reasonable location. Close to 2 heavy rail stations, pubs, eateries and about 15-20 mins from central station. Never been to Perth so very likely wrong in my view.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to distract from NZ conversation but I always felt HBF park was in a reasonable location. Close to 2 heavy rail stations, pubs, eateries and about 15-20 mins from central station. Never been to Perth so very likely wrong in my view.

you're not wrong, it’s in quite a good spot. You can 20min pub crawl it from city train station or couple of minutes stroll from east perth station. The new Optus stadium precinct though is outstanding and a brand new rectangular stadium there would be perfect, hbf still needs a lot doing to it to get it to 25-30k new stadium quality and that money would be better spent on a new one than hbf imo.

you're not wrong, it’s in quite a good spot. You can 20min pub crawl it from city train station or couple of minutes stroll from east perth station. The new Optus stadium precinct though is outstanding and a brand new rectangular stadium there would be perfect, hbf still needs a lot doing to it to get it to 25-30k new stadium quality and that money would be better spent on a new one than hbf imo.
If I was the Wests Tigers I would prefer to play at a 20k Perth Oval that has 3 grandstands than dumps like Campbelltown or Leichhardt that were built by Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble.

The worst part is you do have reasonable points regularly, you just act like a tool about it. Please just drop the shitty attitude and accept other people have different perspectives than you. That doesn’t automatically make them wrong.
@The Great Dane does make good points and he's well educated on the subjects he talks about, but he does it in a way that is condescending and long-winded.

If the NRL were to go with his direction then it could produce great results, but I don't think his model is the only one that will work. There are other things the NRL can do that will improve the game. As an RL fan I just hope whichever route they go down makes the game better than it is today. If the 17th and 18th licences go to Brisbane 2 and NZ 2 and the game draws higher crowds and brings in more money then great. If they decide to go with Adelaide and Perth instead of Brisbane 2 or NZ 2 and it has the same benefits then that's also great. But if they go with Brisbane 2 and NZ 2 then I would like to see some attention spent on building the game up in Adelaide and Perth from the bottom up. Putting money aside for Adelaide and Perth to run teams from U-16s through to QLD Cup would have benefits for the game in 20 or 30 years from now. Giving kids from Adelaide and Perth a chance to play RL and progress to the NRL will grow participation, especially among those who are originally from Queensland, NSW and NZ.

MugaB

Coach
@The Great Dane does make good points and he's well educated on the subjects he talks about, but he does it in a way that is condescending and long-winded.

If the NRL were to go with his direction then it could produce great results, but I don't think his model is the only one that will work. There are other things the NRL can do that will improve the game. As an RL fan I just hope whichever route they go down makes the game better than it is today. If the 17th and 18th licences go to Brisbane 2 and NZ 2 and the game draws higher crowds and brings in more money then great. If they decide to go with Adelaide and Perth instead of Brisbane 2 or NZ 2 and it has the same benefits then that's also great. But if they go with Brisbane 2 and NZ 2 then I would like to see some attention spent on building the game up in Adelaide and Perth from the bottom up. Putting money aside for Adelaide and Perth to run teams from U-16s through to QLD Cup would have benefits for the game in 20 or 30 years from now. Giving kids from Adelaide and Perth a chance to play RL and progress to the NRL will grow participation, especially among those who are originally from Queensland, NSW and NZ.
Great idea, but unlikely to happen without the 1st grade team operating in those two new cities, you'll see funding if it relocated teams there, as its an investment on their end to make sure the franchise works, otherwise it'll be another Melbourne storm, that eventually has juniors decades later

Great idea, but unlikely to happen without the 1st grade team operating in those two new cities, you'll see funding if it relocated teams there, as its an investment on their end to make sure the franchise works, otherwise it'll be another Melbourne storm, that eventually has juniors decades later
Adding teams in Adelaide and Perth from U-16s through to Queensland Cup would help prepare these cities for expansion teams within 10-15 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We’ve already got a pathway in WA. Wasting $3-4mill a year on a qlnd or nsw cup team won’t help anything whilst the second tier is just a pseudo nrl reserve grade. If we had a proper stand alone nrl premiership division with clubs not aligned to nrl clubs it might be a different story.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canterbury rugby league once owned Rugby League Park in Christchurch.

NRL owning a stadium today is not going to happen

no it’s not as nrl has no assets to borrow the sort of money needed and doesn’t have the revenue to cover a big loan.

Jamberoo

Juniors
You need to do both. Problem is that there are not enough RL fanatics (or NSW/Qld ex-pats) in WA or SA to get the grass roots going. You need volunteers. Without people on the ground, it doesn’t matter how much funding go have. Same in Vic. I was shocked to hear from a Kiwi friend the other day that there are more AFL clubs in NZ than RL clubs in Melbourne! I.e. Not many (about 15).
AFL does not have that problem in Qld with heaps of Vics there and NSW has had the Swans for 40 years now so well established.

This is a problem with no solution and probably why PVL does not want to waste time and resources in ‘AFL states’. Neither money or an NRL team will significantly grow participation without hundreds of volunteer coaches, committee members, etc, etc. So you only expand into SA or WA if it is going to be profitable in the short term, and then you can gradually grow participation and TV ratings over 30/40/50 years.

This is why any future teams should, and will be in RL heartland.

You need to do both. Problem is that there are not enough RL fanatics (or NSW/Qld ex-pats) in WA or SA to get the grass roots going. You need volunteers. Without people on the ground, it doesn’t matter how much funding go have. Same in Vic. I was shocked to hear from a Kiwi friend the other day that there are more AFL clubs in NZ than RL clubs in Melbourne! I.e. Not many (about 15).
AFL does not have that problem in Qld with heaps of Vics there and NSW has had the Swans for 40 years now so well established.

This is a problem with no solution and probably why PVL does not want to waste time and resources in ‘AFL states’. Neither money or an NRL team will significantly grow participation without hundreds of volunteer coaches, committee members, etc, etc. So you only expand into SA or WA if it is going to be profitable in the short term, and then you can gradually grow participation and TV ratings over 30/40/50 years.

If there's no intent to establish teams in Adelaide and Perth then the least they can do is get more officials on the ground in Melbourne to grow the player base. Add an NRLW team in Melbourne to help get more women interested in the game.

This is why I have suggested putting Queensland Cup teams in Adelaide and Perth. Add Melbourne to the list. Giving semi-professional players from Queensland an opportunity to work in the southern states and earn a bit on the side by playing RL will eventually lead to more volunteer coaches in these cities, as some of these players will stick around and want to remain involved in the game.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach

Having an NRL team in non AFL heartland will do more for grassroots than not having a team in those areas though. Expansion in Perth will still bring in a new audience and possibly pay for itself through a 9th game.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would be that. NZ already pay 20m ( sky NZ) a year for the warriors, with another team 20m could go to 30m.

To make it worthwhile to news ltd that would require the new team to draw a significant (20k ish) amount of new subscribers to sky sports, is that likely, especially over the next 7 years as more people switch to cheaper streaming options.