What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And to be fair & non biased ... something krusty the clown needs to refer to a dictionary to find the meaning of ..
Perth will have its say tomorrow night , 60K plus is a strong statement.

How good is our code going , cities dooking on to get an NRL team , meanwhile the aflol has 2 teams ( their last 2) they need to if being honest .. wind up .. with nowhere else they can legitimately go except Tasmania.
😎
That for me shows the strength and upside of the NRL and how it is coming up on a new golden age that we haven't seen since the 90's. The NRL has untapped markets and instead of going there and pouring resources into them, the NRL is getting bids to come to them and proving they are worth a spot in our comp. You prove to us that you can run a football club and business, can pay your own way and are strategically important and you are in. Much smarter business IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And to be fair & non biased ... something krusty the clown needs to refer to a dictionary to find the meaning of ..
Perth will have its say tomorrow night , 60K plus is a strong statement.

How good is our code going , cities dooking on to get an NRL team , meanwhile the aflol has 2 teams ( their last 2) they need to if being honest .. wind up .. with nowhere else they can legitimately go except Tasmania.
😎
Looks like we got that strong statement lol. Is that pic you keep putting up a selfie?

flippikat

Bench
North Harbour has a good ring to NZ2
North Harbour?

Tough sell. That side of Auckland is solidly rugby union - it even has a decent population of South African immigrants.

My feeling is that a 2nd NZ team is best based in another city altogether - whether that's Christchurch, Wellington or Hamilton (as a Waikato/Bay of Plenty team, playing the odd game in Rotorua).

Perth Red

Post Whore
North Harbour?

Tough sell. That side of Auckland is solidly rugby union - it even has a decent population of South African immigrants.

My feeling is that a 2nd NZ team is best based in another city altogether - whether that's Christchurch, Wellington or Hamilton (as a Waikato/Bay of Plenty team, playing the odd game in Rotorua).
Cities too small and warriors couldn’t handle another club in Auckland. there won’t be a nz2 for a long time.

flippikat

Bench
Cities too small and warriors couldn’t handle another club in Auckland. there won’t be a nz2 for a long time.
NZ 2 honestly should be behind Perth in the NRL's reckoning.

If that's how it plays out & Perth is team 18, then NZ 2 hinges on when the NRL adds teams 19 and 20 (yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that prospect).. or when a Sydney club goes broke - through relocation or replacement (I laughed a little when I wrote that last bit, as the possibility of that scenario is so darn remote)

MugaB

Coach
NZ 2 honestly should be behind Perth in the NRL's reckoning.

If that's how it plays out & Perth is team 18, then NZ 2 hinges on when the NRL adds teams 19 and 20 (yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that prospect).. or when a Sydney club goes broke - through relocation or replacement (I laughed a little when I wrote that last bit, as the possibility of that scenario is so darn remote)
Its funny but, depending on the bears, looks like
No.18 PNG
No.19 Perth
No. 20 NZ2
All going off who can muster a squad together in the time frame they'd want within broadcast deals... bears can produce a team relatively quickly, but its location and fickelness with the ownership will push them out of no.18...
Png are the front runners

flippikat

Bench
No.18 PNG
No.19 Perth
No. 20 NZ2
All going off who can muster a squad together in the time frame they'd want within broadcast deals... bears can produce a team relatively quickly, but its location and fickelness with the ownership will push them out of no.18...
PNG?!?

The NRL have Perth knocking on their door, Norths sniffing at any opportunity they can chase, Brisbane bids that could have a tilt at a spot (including the rejected bids from the last "beauty contest"), and NZ 2 and Adelaide (no active bid, but fertile ground to take the battle to Super Rugby & AFL respectively)...

...and you say the frontrunner for team 18 is PNG?!?

Surely some mistake...

Colk

First Grade
PNG?!?

The NRL have Perth knocking on their door, Norths sniffing at any opportunity they can chase, Brisbane bids that could have a tilt at a spot (including the rejected bids from the last "beauty contest"), and NZ 2 and Adelaide (no active bid, but fertile ground to take the battle to Super Rugby & AFL respectively)...

...and you say the frontrunner for team 18 is PNG?!?

Surely some mistake...

Look I don’t think that PNG have much chance, particularly as the next side but I wouldn’t discount it all together.

I think Adelaide is obviously more viable financially but there has been no discussion about that option.

At this stage, I would be surprised if it isn’t either Perth or NZ 2 with Brisbane 3 as a further outside bet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No.18 PNG
No.19 Perth
No. 20 NZ2
In your head only lol. Every sane person knows they have cat in hells chance.

now that we know wa govt is serious its just a case of getting the right perth businessmen in the room and signed up and a east coast or png pathways partner in the bag and it’s all over.

East Coast Dolphins (17th) and West Coast Pirates (18th).

Let Easts Tigers buy a stake in The Dolphins to make it a team representing Moreton Bay, Brisbane's eastern suburbs, Logan and Sunshine Coast. That kills off the need for Brisbane 3 and allows the NRL to focus on Perth, NZ 2 and NZ 3 / Adelaide.

MugaB

Coach
In your head only lol. Every sane person knows they have cat in hells chance.

now that we know wa govt is serious its just a case of getting the right perth businessmen in the room and signed up and a east coast or png pathways partner in the bag and it’s all over.
Perth without the bears are a cat in hells chance

Latest posts