What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Yes, you do, because these places are not one suburb over from a team, they are 100s of kilometres away from each other.

These areas aren't like Sydney and Brisbane, where the game is at best a passing interest to the majority.They are also in the heart of Rugby League country, and are the only game in town.
Blackhawks are less than a decade old and play in front of 50 fans. Most of Townsville were against their formation as they were an extension of Townsville Brothers.

I never said anything about getting rid of teams in Mackay, Rockhampton and Cairns.

Colk

First Grade
They had a decent run with injuries.

If Drinkwater gets injured next year, Which one of the 3 feeder team fullbacks replaces him?

You haven't got a direct relationship with NRL clubs would be the only change, You aren't blowing up the comp though cause the teams stay in place. The Leagues club will still fund them

Do you think Sponsors were involved in the off chance that David Fifita or someone played a game? So why would that change. Just self interest

As for NSW side of it, Maitland Pickers won a 3rd tier hybrid comp.

Ron Massey Cup sides could join them as the premier tier in the state, without the NRL clubs then sides like Fiji would then get top billing. Possibly even then is viable for Country teams to enter

Someone like Dubbo playing on GF day v a QLD side would be huge for the bush. These chances don't exist with the current structure

1. Every side since I have been watching have required their best players to be fit and healthy for them to do well. If one of the Eels halves fell over during the season and they played Jacob Arthur for a majority of the season do you think they would have made the GF. What if Jack Wighton was knocked out for a majority of the season would the Raiders have done anything? What about Nicho Hynes and the Sharks? It is a particularly weird argument.

The point I was making was that the majority of the players in the Cowboys squad would have played in the QLD Cup at one stage. The Storm with all those years of dominance were propped up by blokes who came from the QLD Cup. Ditto Broncos. QLD have dominated SOO with blokes that played QLD Cup. Essentially the only argument you could make to change the QLD Cup would be if they were not producing enough players, which is clearly not the case.

2. Your second paragraph, first sentence highlights the main problem with this idea. You have to realise the difference between the QLD Cup and the NSW Cup. The Queensland Cup have teams representing the width and breadth of Queensland whereas the NSW Cup represents just Sydney. That is important because what that means is that some kid from Central Queensland or Rockhampton doesn’t have to move hundreds of kilometres away to Brisbane in order to get a shot which is precisely what happens in a similar case in NSW. That doesn’t help regional football at all.

The other argument I would make is that these teams were the premier sides in QLD at one stage. If the shoe was on the other foot and let’s say NSWRL was swallowed up by the BRL. Penrith get forcibly moved to second grade and have fringe first graders from a Western Sydney NRL side. Then 30 years down the track they are told you are an amateur club now and you’re playing the Pumpkinpickers. Are you supporting the idea now?

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
None bar GF day

NRLW has taken over

There was no Foxtel Qld Cup coverage until a few finals games but there was a NSW Cup game until NRLW season started

So already all of this talk of broadcasters for the fantastic Qld & NSW Cup is a mute point. Even if though we have a dedicated RL channel on paytv. We dont get games broadcast and only get highlight style replays

So why the change the Queensland Cup into something that at best is just as popular. The argument that V’Landys is making is about popularity and interest in reserve grade football; in reality the hundreds (barely) of people who might want to watch a RG side.

If this isn’t going to create any more popularity or interest in second grade (which it isn’t) or magically improve standards (which it isn’t) then what is precisely the point.

It’s a dumb idea

Iamback

Coach
1. Every side since I have been watching have required their best players to be fit and healthy for them to do well. If one of the Eels halves fell over during the season and they played Jacob Arthur for a majority of the season do you think they would have made the GF. What if Jack Wighton was knocked out for a majority of the season would the Raiders have done anything? What about Nicho Hynes and the Sharks? It is a particularly weird argument.

The point I was making was that the majority of the players in the Cowboys squad would have played in the QLD Cup at one stage. The Storm with all those years of dominance were propped up by blokes who came from the QLD Cup. Ditto Broncos. QLD have dominated SOO with blokes that played QLD Cup. Essentially the only argument you could make to change the QLD Cup would be if they were not producing enough players, which is clearly not the case.

2. Your second paragraph, first season highlights the main problem with this idea. You have to realise the difference between the QLD Cup and the NSW Cup. The Queensland Cup have teams representing the width and breadth of Queensland whereas the NSW Cup represents just Sydney. That is important because what that means is that some kid from Central Queensland or Rockhampton doesn’t have to move hundreds of kilometres away to Brisbane in order to get a shot which is precisely what happens in a similar case in NSW. That doesn’t help regional football at all.

The other argument I would make is that these teams were the premier sides in QLD at one stage. If the shoe was on the other foot and let’s say NSWRL was swallowed up by the BRL. Penrith get forcibly moved to second grade and have fringe first graders from a Western Sydney NRL side. Then 30 years down the track they are told you are an amateur club now and you’re playing the Pumpkinpickers. Are you supporting the idea now?

So where is the Rockhampton team going though?

Will they not still be a QLD Cup team?

Iamback

Coach
So why the change the Queensland Cup into something that at best is just as popular. The argument that V’Landys is making is about popularity and interest in reserve grade football; in reality the hundreds (barely) of people who might want to watch a RG side.

If this isn’t going to create any more popularity or interest in second grade (which it isn’t) or magically improve standards (which it isn’t) then what is precisely the point.

It’s a dumb idea

You don't think the NYC was good? You are about the only person

siv

First Grade
We're talking about restructuring the Queensland Cup into a second division to cater for areas that will never have their own NRL team. Try to keep up with the discussion.
Lets assume National RG is in place

Blackhawks, Redcliffe and maybe Burleigh would not go forward as they are already catered for

Broncos already cover the old Brisbane Wests

Toowoomba already stepped up to fill a void

I would like to see Darwin also step in

Rocky could be another

siv

First Grade

It’s a dumb idea
Its not about popularity

That wont change

Colk

First Grade
So where is the Rockhampton team going though?

Will they not still be a QLD Cup team?

You know exactly full well what would happen so stop being obtuse, I even gave you a hypothetical so you could look on the other side of the fence.

QLD Cup would be an amateur competition if this happened and you try run an amateur competition across an area as big as Queensland. You would also reduce the amount of footballers generated from that area.

Last edited:
You not exactly full well what would happen so stop being obtuse, I even gave you a hypothetical so you could look on the other side of the fence.

QLD Cup would be an amateur competition if this happened and you try run an amateur competition across an area as big as Queensland. You would also reduce the amount of footballers generated from that area.
The BRL struggles to field teams from Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast because the distance involved is too far for amateurs and semi-pro footballers.

Iamback

Coach
You know exactly full well what would happen so stop being obtuse, I even gave you a hypothetical so you could look on the other side of the fence.

The Rockhampton QLD Cup team, Have 30 odd players on their website. Only Jonas Pearson has played NRL.

You are telling me that those players go?

Your example made no sense, No where have I said an existing QCup team goes. All you would be doing is taking out any player contracted to the Broncos, Cowboys etc.

Those allows some positions for those currently not playing in QLD Cup. A chance to do so to develop them further then they currently do

Iamback

Coach
Now you are being obtuse.

Where in any of my posts did I say that the NYC was a bad idea. We are talking about reserve grade. If you don’t want to debate the points I have raised then don’t debate.

Yes and like the NYC, nation Reserve grade would add an extra layer.

You haven't told me where QLD Cup was going to debate

Wb1234

Referee
Anyway with a national reserve grade comp it’s time to bring back the under 20s too

it was stupid to axe it

Reactions: siv

Iamback

Coach
Anyway with a national reserve grade comp it’s time to bring back the under 20s too

it was stupid to axe it

I get that not being in, especially if Perth comes in. Long flight from Auckland to Perth around school etc, Reserve grade given they train fulltime makes sense

Wb1234

Referee
I get that not being in, especially if Perth comes in. Long flight from Auckland to Perth around school etc, Reserve grade given they train fulltime makes sense
Maybe that’s a reason not to bring in Perth lol

2nd nz wouldn’t be an issue

Iamback

Coach
Maybe that’s a reason not to bring in Perth lol

2nd nz wouldn’t be an issue

They are running an SG Ball team next year but again. Not sure they would if they can't fly in on game day which Townsville would be that case.

So too the Regional games

Colk

First Grade
The Rockhampton QLD Cup team, Have 30 odd players on their website. Only Jonas Pearson has played NRL.

You are telling me that those players go?

Your example made no sense, No where have I said an existing QCup team goes. All you would be doing is taking out any player contracted to the Broncos, Cowboys etc.

Those allows some positions for those currently not playing in QLD Cup. A chance to do so to develop them further then they currently do

Jesus wept. I’ll make this simple.

QRL and NSWRL attain money from broadcasters, sponsors as well as from the ARLC to run these competitions because they are considered to be the second grade competitions. Right, where do you think this money is going to go if this is replaced by a NRL Reserve Grade competition? Do you think the Capras or the Mackay Cutters or other far flung areas are still going to have the money to be an entrant in a Statewide Amateur competition when you take the money away from this competition?

In this absence, who is going to fund these areas? Assuming you are going to say NRL clubs will. Considering some of the dire stories you hear of regional football in NSW I don’t think that is a good model at all.

Lastly, they will go - you know why? NRL squad numbers will have to increase to 40 and even more if you add an NYC competition so clubs are going to have to pull this talent from somewhere.

Furthermore, if the Capras or Mackay Cutters somehow survive long term, they won’t have the money to purchase players and no player with any dreams of playing NRL will go there.

All this idea does is migrate talent from regions like Central Queensland etc to Brisbane in a lot of cases before they are ready to do so and if they initially fail (say play NYC and fail to make a reserve grade squad) that’s their career.

Colk

First Grade
Yes and like the NYC, nation Reserve grade would add an extra layer.

You haven't told me where QLD Cup was going to debate

NYC is fine (to a degree) although I’d prefer it not be affiliated through NRL clubs or at the very least a system without an affiliated reserve grade competition.

You have to realise that players develop at different stages. Some kids are ridiculously good at certain age levels but then for a variety of reasons don’t make it or become average first graders. Conversely, you have cases who aren’t unbelievable junior talents but because the NSW Cup or the QLD Cup is there in its current phases work their way back up and get picked up by clubs and start their careers at a later age. Where do these players go if they don’t get picked up straight away in these NRL affiliated comps and everything underneath it are amateur competitions?

Essentially, the idea of having three affiliated grades is not practiced by any other sport and there’s a reason why.

Wb1234

Referee
Jesus wept. I’ll make this simple.

QRL and NSWRL attain money from broadcasters, sponsors as well as from the ARLC to run these competitions because they are considered to be the second grade competitions. Right, where do you think this money is going to go if this is replaced by a NRL Reserve Grade competition? Do you think the Capras or the Mackay Cutters or other far flung areas are still going to have the money to be an entrant in a Statewide Amateur competition when you take the money away from this competition?

In this absence, who is going to fund these areas? Assuming you are going to say NRL clubs will. Considering some of the dire stories you hear of regional football in NSW I don’t think that is a good model at all.

Lastly, they will go - you know why? NRL squad numbers will have to increase to 40 and even more if you add an NYC competition so clubs are going to have to pull this talent from somewhere.

Furthermore, if the Capras or Mackay Cutters somehow survive long term, they won’t have the money to purchase players and no player with any dreams of playing NRL will go there.

All this idea does is migrate talent from regions like Central Queensland etc to Brisbane in a lot of cases before they are ready to do so and if they initially fail (say play NYC and fail to make a reserve grade squad) that’s their career.
Loads of money wasted sounds like keeping zombie clubs alive when there are cheaper ways to achieve the same goal

Latest posts