What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

franklin2323

Immortal
Have you people not worked it out? The Raiders don't want to!

I actually don't believe the Raiders could not afford to put in a full reserve grade team. I think they could, they certainly could (while diverting from other investmens now made, probably). But the issue fundamentally goes to equity of treatment of all clubs.

If there is a requirement imposed by the NRL on the Raiders to enter a team in the NSW Cup, they would have to enter a full Canberra Raiders team, that is really the only viable option. If people think there is a real alternative to that, they are kidding themselves.

I think it would only be fair if the NRL then demanded that Easts cease their relationship with Newtown and put in a full team; Souths cease their relationship with Norths and put in full team; Newcastle be required to put in a full team, rather than be subsidised by the NSWRL to contribute to a Central Coast team etc etc. All those other teams can then play third tier level, local Sydney comp.

Indeed the NRL should force all NRL clubs to face the full costs of running a full reserve grade in either Q Cup or NSW Cup if this were to be the ruling.

The NSWRL would then show it is serious about having a strong "NSW" Cup and it would not be to the financial disadvantage of the Raiders... because all NRL teams would then face the same cost structures.

You guys seem to be slow down there!!!!!!!

I WILL REPEAT NO WHERE HAVE THE NSWRL SAID THEY NEED TO FIELD A NSW CUP TEAM. JUST PLAY IN A NSWRL RUN COMP.

SO PLAY THEM IN THE LOCAL COMP THEN IT WILL SAVE $!!!

I forgot you guys don't want a solution just to whinge!!!!

How is playing in the Riverina/Monaro/Southern Divisions ( these are the divisions closest to Canberra region ) equal to what the other clubs do. We are in a comp that provides our excess players enough quality opposition to keep them at or close to NRL standard.

How will they get that from playing in Country rugby league?

franklin2323

Immortal
How is playing in the Riverina/Monaro/Southern Divisions ( these are the divisions closest to Canberra region ) equal to what the other clubs do. We are in a comp that provides our excess players enough quality opposition to keep them at or close to NRL standard.

How will they get that from playing in Country rugby league?

Last year Newcastle did it. Year before Dragons did it. Both don't cause it's not ideal but it gave them 12 months longer to align with a club or set up a team in NSW Cup.

It's not ideal. Other posters like Bluebags has suggested linking up with a club down there I agree with them. You guys from the area said either can't be afforded or it will take the focus off the Raiders Cup. You guys live there and would know

So the other option is play them locally the local teams would love to play along side "Stars"

siv

First Grade
All of those teams are located outside the junior catchments of the clubs that they are linked with. If the Raiders, in your eyes, are not permitted to link with teams outside their catchments then the abovementioned links must also be terminated.

Skeepe - I totally agree with this statement - as I would much prefer to a Souths RG player playing in Souths colours

Thus my proposal for a NSW-Vic-ACT NRL clubs based RG or NRL national RG

skeepe

Immortal
Raiders to lose their star nursery

• Stuart Honeysett
CANBERRA has warned the next generation of superstars such as Todd Carney will be lost to the game.

The claim follows a "short-sighted" move by the NSWRL to ban the Raiders from entering teams in junior representative competitions next season.

The Raiders aren't the only club at war with the NSWRL over the issue as Manly have also been told it cannot field teams in the Harold Matthews (under-16s) or SG Ball (under-18s) in 2011.

Both clubs have been singled out by the NSWRL for failing to provide teams for the NSW Cup, with the Raiders using Queensland's Souths Logan and the Sea Eagles using the Sunshine Coast as feeder clubs for their NRL teams.

The Australian obtained a memo sent to all 16 club bosses and signed by NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr this week which states: "In regard to the issue of dual registrations, the ARL board recently reaffirmed its decision that dual registrations between players registered with NSW-based NRL clubs and QRL Intrust Super Clubs would not be permitted in season 2011 and beyond.

"At the recent NSWRL board meeting, the board considered recommendations from the NSW Cup management and NSW Cup Clubs Committees that the NSW Cup had to be supported by Member Clubs of the NSWRL that participate in the NRL.

"In addition, that any NSWRL Member Club not competing in the NSW Cup as a stand-alone club or in a joint venture not be invited to participate in the 2011 NSWRL District Rep competitions.

"Invitations for the 2011 District Reps will be extended in the near future to those clubs that comply with the necessary requirements."

After confirming Canberra was one of the clubs affected by the decision, chief executive Don Furner blasted the hardline stance of the NSWRL.

He said the Raiders couldn't afford the operating costs of about $500,000 a season to field their own team in the NSW Cup and attempts to find a Sydney feeder club to align with (for instance St George Illawarra uses Shellharbour Sharks) had proved futile.

"We cannot afford our own team -- we've made that clear for years -- and the NSWRL haven't come up with any options for us to place a team in," Furner said.

"I could point out 12 or 13 players -- not just at our club but at other clubs -- that came through our Harold Matthews and SG Ball system including Brent Kite, Todd Payten, Todd Carney, Michael Robertson, Junior Sau.

"All those elite kids that come through playing rugby league will now play rugby union or AFL -- simple as that."

Manly chief executive Graham Lowe said he was trying to work through the issue with the NSWRL.

"In plain language, the NSW Cup is hardly an affordable option for us, but in saying that we understand we have obligations to the local players and juniors," Lowe said. "For the NSWRL to stop us playing in that is pretty heavy going."

Furner said he hoped the impasse would be resolved with the formation of the independent commission.

Stakeholders have pinpointed November 1 as D-day for the likely overhaul of the game's archaic administration although there is some doubt as to whether a constitution will be drawn up by then.

"For the future of the game and the development of the game, I hope an IC wouldn't be this short-sighted," Furner said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eir-star-nursery/story-e6frg7mf-1225938378088
What a f**king joke!!!!!! So because our senior players below NRL are playing in Queensland, we will be prevented from having juniors at all? How does that make any sense?

Does the NSWRL even care about rugby league outside Sydney?

The Raiders said they would happily link up with a team in the NSW Cup - if the NSWRL could find them a viable team to link with. They could not.

What a f**ked up decision. The sooner the Independent Commission is in place and dinosaurs like Geoff Carr are sidelined the better.

skeepe

Immortal
I posted this in the NSWRL forum, but thought I'd post it in here as well because it has a knock-on effect for the NRL in that talented juniors in the areas could be lost to other sports because of the short-sightedness of the governing body banning them from having a junior team to represent in their area.

It also means that the clubs are likely to lose the talented youngsters already on their books for these grades, and all the long-term effects that will bring.

Raiders to lose their star nursery

• Stuart Honeysett
CANBERRA has warned the next generation of superstars such as Todd Carney will be lost to the game.

The claim follows a "short-sighted" move by the NSWRL to ban the Raiders from entering teams in junior representative competitions next season.

The Raiders aren't the only club at war with the NSWRL over the issue as Manly have also been told it cannot field teams in the Harold Matthews (under-16s) or SG Ball (under-18s) in 2011.

Both clubs have been singled out by the NSWRL for failing to provide teams for the NSW Cup, with the Raiders using Queensland's Souths Logan and the Sea Eagles using the Sunshine Coast as feeder clubs for their NRL teams.

The Australian obtained a memo sent to all 16 club bosses and signed by NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr this week which states: "In regard to the issue of dual registrations, the ARL board recently reaffirmed its decision that dual registrations between players registered with NSW-based NRL clubs and QRL Intrust Super Clubs would not be permitted in season 2011 and beyond.

"At the recent NSWRL board meeting, the board considered recommendations from the NSW Cup management and NSW Cup Clubs Committees that the NSW Cup had to be supported by Member Clubs of the NSWRL that participate in the NRL.

"In addition, that any NSWRL Member Club not competing in the NSW Cup as a stand-alone club or in a joint venture not be invited to participate in the 2011 NSWRL District Rep competitions.

"Invitations for the 2011 District Reps will be extended in the near future to those clubs that comply with the necessary requirements."

After confirming Canberra was one of the clubs affected by the decision, chief executive Don Furner blasted the hardline stance of the NSWRL.

He said the Raiders couldn't afford the operating costs of about $500,000 a season to field their own team in the NSW Cup and attempts to find a Sydney feeder club to align with (for instance St George Illawarra uses Shellharbour Sharks) had proved futile.

"We cannot afford our own team -- we've made that clear for years -- and the NSWRL haven't come up with any options for us to place a team in," Furner said.

"I could point out 12 or 13 players -- not just at our club but at other clubs -- that came through our Harold Matthews and SG Ball system including Brent Kite, Todd Payten, Todd Carney, Michael Robertson, Junior Sau.

"All those elite kids that come through playing rugby league will now play rugby union or AFL -- simple as that."

Manly chief executive Graham Lowe said he was trying to work through the issue with the NSWRL.

"In plain language, the NSW Cup is hardly an affordable option for us, but in saying that we understand we have obligations to the local players and juniors," Lowe said. "For the NSWRL to stop us playing in that is pretty heavy going."

Furner said he hoped the impasse would be resolved with the formation of the independent commission.

Stakeholders have pinpointed November 1 as D-day for the likely overhaul of the game's archaic administration although there is some doubt as to whether a constitution will be drawn up by then.

"For the future of the game and the development of the game, I hope an IC wouldn't be this short-sighted," Furner said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eir-star-nursery/story-e6frg7mf-1225938378088

What a f**king joke!!!!!! So because our senior players below NRL are playing in Queensland, we will be prevented from having juniors at all? How does that make any sense?

Does the NSWRL even care about rugby league outside Sydney?

The Raiders said they would happily link up with a team in the NSW Cup - if the NSWRL could find them a viable team to link with. They could not.

What a f**ked up decision. The sooner the Independent Commission is in place and dinosaurs like Geoff Carr are sidelined the better.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The issue with the dual registration is also something the QRL want.

How can poor broke Cronulla afford a team but Canberra (with multiple leagues clubs) and Manly not?

I take both clubs can afford SGBall and Matthews teams.

westie

Bench
Why is the NSWRL playing hardball a bad thing? If a club can't even fund a reserve grade in the same state, let alone the region they play in, are they really worthy of NRL status? The NSWRL have a duty to promote RL within the state, and you can bet the Raiders and Manly will start thinking a lot harder about how to provide local players with an option... that or they'll just whinge to the papers.

Big Mick

Referee
And this is what is wrong with the game.

Too many f**kwits for too many branches.

Piss off the NSWRL, piss off the QRL, amalgamate it all with the CRL and ARL into one body ffs.

Frailty

First Grade
Sharks have fielded a NSW Cup team despite clearly having the worst finances in the game...

In an attempt to cut costs in the upcoming season, they have merged in the NSW Cup with the Melbourne Storm.

If the Sharks can do it, plainly put - Manly and Canberra can both do it.

cleary89

Coach
Agreed, if sharks can, then the others surely can. If they can't are they worthy of having an NRL team?

adamkungl

Immortal
Harsh yes, but as others have pointed out, Canberra and Manly are obviously full of sh*t/doing something wrong if Cronulla can affford it and they can't.

It's not a money deal but rather it's a NSWRL agenda. Raiders and especially Manly getting tough deals (which isn't their fault) again. Why oh why can't the NRL help them out like they help out Cronulla every 2nd Tuesday??

PJ Marshal

Coach
i dare say it isnt money stopping manly and canberra its more they dont want their players playing in a rubbish comp like the nsw cup and in a much stronger and competitive comp like the qld cup

Perth Tiger

Bench
For once Skeepe I agree with you. What is with the geniuss we have in charge of our game.

Hopefully this is reversed as it could end up as one of the worst decisions made by the games admin.

I hope the IC is in place by 1 Nov as planned and they can kick these idoits out by noon 1 Nov.

skeepe

Immortal
Harsh yes, but as others have pointed out, Canberra and Manly are obviously full of sh*t/doing something wrong if Cronulla can affford it and they can't.

Cronulla couldn't afford it. If they could, they wouldn't have merged.

skeepe

Immortal
i dare say it isnt money stopping manly and canberra its more they dont want their players playing in a rubbish comp like the nsw cup and in a much stronger and competitive comp like the qld cup

The Raiders were quite happy to form a partnership with a NSW Cup team. They asked the NSWRL to help them secure such a partnership. The NSWRL refused.

Latest posts