What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't understand the anger.

You get juniors, you send them to QLD, then when times are tough you send them back to Canberra.

How is that sensible or fair on the players?

You have Under 20's still, so not all juniors will be lost, if any at all.

gronkathon

First Grade
It is a tough one.

On one hand it seems like beurocracy on behalf of the NSWRL but it also falls on the clubs making financial decisions for themselves and what is best for them just assuming that the NSWRL will foot the bill for their emerging juniors to play against upcoming juniors from other clubs when there is no intention of behalf of the clubs to put back in in terms of competition fees and playing talent into the upper grade competitions of the NSWRL.

It is an unenviable circumstance but in reality there is severe flaws with either sides position

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
talk about chopping your nose off to spite your face! And to think these idiots are getting a seat on the IC!

If I was Manly or Canberra I'd be approaching the WA Reds about a link up! We'd love to have a Harold Mathews team playing out of Perth with the best kids from Manly or Canberra mixing with our best kids.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The NSWRL should be focusing on trying to improve the NSW cup so it is an attracting place for clubs like Canberra and manly to enter a team, not trying to drag the Qld Cup down to their level and further damage teams like Canberra and Manly which will only further weaken the standard of the NSW cup.

franklin2323

Immortal
If Canberra and Manly continue to avoid fielding NSW Cup teams, apart from having their H Matts and SG Ball sides disqualified, their First Grade players should also be blacklisted from being selected for NSW State of Origin squads.

Agreed. They want to be classed as NSW yet don't want to agree to play in an Open age competition. That will soon change their mind.

Play in the local comp if they can't afford a NSW Cup team. It's not that difficult

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NSWRL were paying for the teams to be in the comp fair enough. Given the clubs have to find the money it should be up to them to decide where and how they spend their own money. You have to ask why these two clubs would rather be in Q'land cup than NSW cup.

ps NSWRL have been very supportive of the WARL so I'm not totally slating them but at times they do seem to lack basic conflict resolution skills.

gronkathon

First Grade
I am unsure of the structuring of arrangements but would getting a cut of poker machine money from Queensland where it does not attract the NSW Govt tax be any part of this decision for the Raiders and Eagles?

PJ Marshal

Coach
how financially well off are the raiders? i have heard they are fairly good in that regard....anyone shed light on it more?

Bro Bear

Juniors
Manly and Canberra could of place their players with another club but they wanted the cheap option. Good to see the NSWRL taking the right stance. These two clubs were warned months ago. If they cannot afford a reserve team then explain should they still be in the NRL competition. WA Reds and CC Bears could easily take their place. Manly could always link up with the CC Bears for U16 and U18 teams - the CC Cubs. An IC will not solve the Reserve Graders to the NSW Cup or QLD Cup problem.

franklin2323

Immortal
If the NSWRL were paying for the teams to be in the comp fair enough. Given the clubs have to find the money it should be up to them to decide where and how they spend their own money. You have to ask why these two clubs would rather be in Q'land cup than NSW cup.

ps NSWRL have been very supportive of the WARL so I'm not totally slating them but at times they do seem to lack basic conflict resolution skills.

Well the teams get funding for Junior comps there lies the problem they wouldn't be funding clubs to strengthen QLD Cup. The idea would be if the players don't make NRL then they should play NSW CUP or bundy rum.

Much like QRL wouldn't want Mal Meninga Cup players being developed for NSW Cup.

For NSW Cup funding is there to an extent. CCoast and Melb got funding maybe they asked not sure who worked that out.

I thought Mt Pritchard was going to be Manly's feeder team what happened there?

johns_reds

First Grade
I thought raiders and manly were part of the NRL, why should the NSWRL have any say on where they play thier players?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Does anyone outside of the Greater Sydney basin think this is a good idea?

These ridiculous Sydney-centric attitudes are a bigger threat to the health of the game than any rival code could hope to be.

gronkathon

First Grade
The simplest and best sollution to all of this is a national reserve grade comp. The comp that should have been formed instead of the NYC. Each NRL club must enter and it establishes a clear pathway to the NRL. Than the NSW & Queensland Cups can be used for farming out talent on their way out, NYC kids not up to scratch for reserve grade and later bloomers

franklin2323

Immortal
Does anyone outside of the Greater Sydney basin think this is a good idea?

These ridiculous Sydney-centric attitudes are a bigger threat to the health of the game than any rival code could hope to be.

It's not Sydney-centric. Canberra can use the local comp or a regional club as a feeder same with Manly

siv

First Grade
So Canberra and Manly feel its too expensive to play RG in NSW but its cheaper in QLD - go figure ??

This was discussed and agreed by ARL/QRL/NSWRL months ago

While I can see the issue for Souths Logan & Sunshine Coast, the issue is for the NSW aligned NRL clubs to play their RG in the NSW Cup team

Seems like this will go to the wire in a power play at NSWRL board level

Interesting to see what the spin on Auckland and Melbourne are on this one

Melbourne I guess still have a U18/U16 team in 2011 (or do they ??) even though they handed over their players with Cronulla at NSW Cup level

And Auckland who have a NSW Cup team but no U18/U16 team

Wonder what the opinion if the ARLC comes in on Nov 1

cleary89

Coach
They have known about it for months.

Everyone who thinks its bad in this thread is complaining about the lack of competition in NSW cup, hence why they had to do it. Every other team does this, so why should they be exempt. They have to pick if they want to play reserves in NSW or QLD, and stick to it. They can't have half up here and half down there.

Pretty sure Saints have bailed on shellharbour, and are just going to play in the local comp. If Manly and Canberra are so worried about their juniors, they could do the same. The NSWRL called their bluff, and hopefully they stick to their guns.

That said, we do need a premier league type competition again.

Rocket

Juniors
This just highlights how screwed up and disjointed the management of Rugby League is in this country. I can understand why the NSWRL have taken this decision to protect their own interests, but it does nothing for the game nationally.

I just pray that the IC takes a national and non-parochial approach to the game. This petty regional bullsh*t just makes the game a laughing stock.

From what I understand about the Cronulla-Melbourne "merger" in Reserves, all that is happened is that all the non-1st + 2nd teir contacted players have basically been given to Cronulla. Those with a contract have gone to Brisbane Easts (or whoever it is they have a deal with in the Qld Cup) who will be Melbourne's reggies team for 2011. Those players now playing for Cronulla cannot be called up by Melbourne, they are now Cronulla players.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Absolute rubbish. NSWRL is shooting itself in the foot here.

Hopefully Canberra don't cave to this BS.

They're putting a big knife into an important development program for the NSW and the Raiders. When a lot of these players start making there debuts for Souths Logan then QLD will have a host of new juniors to pick from.