What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

PJ Marshal

Coach
The Raiders were quite happy to form a partnership with a NSW Cup team. They asked the NSWRL to help them secure such a partnership. The NSWRL refused.

true but hasnt this partnership been there for a while with the raiders, basically the raiders came in and saved souths from dying and have stuck since. If the raiders pull out souths would probably be on their death bed again which would be a shame.

skeepe

Immortal
true but hasnt this partnership been there for a while with the raiders, basically the raiders came in and saved souths from dying and have stuck since. If the raiders pull out souths would probably be on their death bed again which would be a shame.

100% correct. This partnership has been in place for a very, very long time, back even to the days of Meninga if my memory serves me correctly.

There's no probably about it though, if the Raiders pull out, Souths Logan Magpies will cease to exist.

What gets me though is that the NSWRL are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Because they want the Raiders and Manly to put their senior reserves in the NSW Cup, they are banning talented juniors from representing their area and playing in the age competitions. Some of these talented kids will move to other clubs, a lot won't. They'll take up a sport where they have a clear pathway to the top level.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
The Raiders were quite happy to form a partnership with a NSW Cup team. They asked the NSWRL to help them secure such a partnership. The NSWRL refused.

They couldn't do it themselves? Need their hand held? Sure the scum merged but they still have half one, more than waiders and manly

ShaiGuY

First Grade
"CANBERRA has warned the next generation of superstars such as Todd Carney will be lost to the game."

I know a bit off topic but this is a kind of an ironic statement when Canberra vetoed the Dragons' trying to get Carney back into the NRL via Shellharbour for the Dragons. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...st-became-dragon/story-e6frexnr-1225902265640 Todd Carney: ""The problem was they couldn't get me into their reserve grade [Shellharbour] because Canberra and the NSWRL blocked me. St George Illawarra wanted to wait until the end of the year."... so he could have been lost to the game...

El Diablo

Post Whore
correct decision made :clap:

they were not kicked out either. they could have stayed in but chose to go with the QRL

franklin2323

Immortal
:thumb Good Work NSWRL!!! Is it too hard to have all NSW Based teams playing in the same overage comp?? If so why should NSW RL help these teams develop players to strenghten QLD CUP not NSW Cup??

Canberra have no trouble calling themselves a NSW team for SG Ball etc, Getting the helping hand from CRL yet want to defy a simple rule

cleary89

Coach
100% correct. This partnership has been in place for a very, very long time, back even to the days of Meninga if my memory serves me correctly.

There's no probably about it though, if the Raiders pull out, Souths Logan Magpies will cease to exist.

What gets me though is that the NSWRL are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Because they want the Raiders and Manly to put their senior reserves in the NSW Cup, they are banning talented juniors from representing their area and playing in the age competitions. Some of these talented kids will move to other clubs, a lot won't. They'll take up a sport where they have a clear pathway to the top level.

Lol. A 16 yr old who is capable of making nrl decides to go play afl because his local club doesnt have a rep side. Good one. And as if a 6 yr old gives a sh*t.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
i dare say it isnt money stopping manly and canberra its more they dont want their players playing in a rubbish comp like the nsw cup and in a much stronger and competitive comp like the qld cup

I think it was a strategic cost cutting plan by both clubs. I mean why not move to a stronger competition and spend less money? Niether club is flush wih money, and want to get the best value for their buck. The NSWRL competition is a joke, if they got their acts together there would be no issue.

At State of Origin time I love the NSW vs Qld hate, but other than during those 3 weeks we are playing a NATIONAL competition. It's time that everyone starts pulling in the same direction for the good of the game. Banning junior teams is most certainly not in the best interests of the game!!

I think it is time for the NRL to start a reserve grade competiton. Once the tv deals are signed and there is more money available (lets hope...), they should help each club fund a reserve grade side in new reserve grade competition. So each week there will be three games played, mirroring the NRL fixture like in years gone by, i.e.
Manly vs Canberra Under 20s
Manly vs Canberra Reserve Grade
Manly vs Canberra NRL

This will give the players that aren't eligible for the 20s anymore, but aren't ready for first grade somewhere to go that doesn't feel like a huge demotion.

El Diablo

Post Whore
correct decision made :clap:

they were not kicked out either. they could have stayed in but chose to go with the QRL

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The NSWRL is a complete joke. f**king the game over just because they’re asspained about clubs preferring the QLD Cup…

And this is what is wrong with the game.

Too many f**kwits for too many branches.

Piss off the NSWRL, piss off the QRL, amalgamate it all with the CRL and ARL into one body ffs.

+ a thouuuuusand.

Ashman

Juniors
A short sighted decision by the ARL.

Who exactly is in charge of junior development for the National Rugby League?

The only hope for The Raiders and Sea Eagles is hold out for the Independent Commission and have the decision made in the best interest of the game, not for Sydney.

skeepe

Immortal
According to the Canberra Times (story not online), the Raiders are preparing to cancel their membership of the NSWRL, sending their talented juniors to the Canberra Raiders Cup.

Interestingly, Don Furner also stated that he had heard that Shellharbour may be ending their association with the Dragons and withdrawing from the competition due to costs.

It also states that the Raiders had been working with Goulburn Workers to raise the $500,000 required to partly fund the team, but had been unsuccessful in doing so, and the NSWRL had not provided a viable alternative to link with a current team.

What this will mean for the juniors of the area is anyone's guess.

***MH***

Bench
If Canberra and Manly continue to avoid fielding NSW Cup teams, apart from having their H Matts and SG Ball sides disqualified, their First Grade players should also be blacklisted from being selected for NSW State of Origin squads.

Latest posts