What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

cleary89

Coach
For the good of the NSW comp.

Possibly for the good of the game. Stronger NSW comp will mean a stronger league.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love the manufactured outrage now.

This has been on the cards for a year and Canberra have had plenty of time to seek options. Surely if the Dragons are withdrawing from Shellharbour then that's an option the Raiders can explore? As for Manly, well, I don't really care but surely they could do something within the Sydney basin.

The NSW Cup will never be a strong competition if NRL teams within NSW/ACT send their business to another comp. It doesn't do anything for the image of the NSWRL and NSW Cup - so IMO the NSWRL have made the 100% right decision. Maybe this might force these two clubs to try a little harder to find a NSW Cup alternative. I could understand if say, the Tweed or Byron had an NRL team and there was conjecture over where to place the feeder club but we're talking teams 1000-odd km away.

Maroons representation becomes another issue again - players who might otherwise play their first senior football in NSW are now, because of the feeder placements of these two clubs, endin up QLDers - rightly or wrongly.

cleary89

Coach
The juniors can play in QLD junior comps if they want. Both clubs knew this would happen, so why is everyone acting like they are outraged? The clubs boards wouldn't be.

skeepe

Immortal
I love the manufactured outrage now.

This has been on the cards for a year and Canberra have had plenty of time to seek options. Surely if the Dragons are withdrawing from Shellharbour then that's an option the Raiders can explore? As for Manly, well, I don't really care but surely they could do something within the Sydney basin.

My understanding is that Shellharbour are the ones withdrawing, not the Dragons. They can't afford it.

Canberra have been seeking options you dim-witted numpty. They put plenty of effort into trying to get a team in Goulburn up and running, but it just didn't happen. They then asked the NSWRL to assist finding them a team to affiliate with, which the NSWRL were unwilling or unable to do.

The NSW Cup will never be a strong competition if NRL teams within NSW/ACT send their business to another comp. It doesn't do anything for the image of the NSWRL and NSW Cup - so IMO the NSWRL have made the 100% right decision. Maybe this might force these two clubs to try a little harder to find a NSW Cup alternative. I could understand if say, the Tweed or Byron had an NRL team and there was conjecture over where to place the feeder club but we're talking teams 1000-odd km away.

It's the right decision to punish juniors because the senior club doesn't play their reserves in a particular competition? Idiot.

Maroons representation becomes another issue again - players who might otherwise play their first senior football in NSW are now, because of the feeder placements of these two clubs, endin up QLDers - rightly or wrongly.

Ahhh, see that's where you're wrong again. The age for determining Origin eligibility is the state where you played your first game over the age of 16. With Harold Mats and SG Ball, that would make these players NSWelshmen. If the Raiders and Manly now decide to send their players that would have otherwise played in the Harold Mats and SG Ball teams to play in the junior teams of their feeder clubs, then they would all be eligible for Queensland.

In effect, you are actually supporting something that creates the situation you seek to avoid, and against something that did not.

Idiot.

Timmah

Staff member
Good thing I can argue without the unnecessary personal attacks. Good stuff though, you make the odd valid point outside the abuse.

If it were possible I'd prefer a national reserve grade competition which would see the current NSW Cup and QLD Cups reduced to Metro-Cup sort of level. That scenario still, in my opinion, would need to prevent dual registration, so teams would need to remain within their own state. Sort of like conferencing the smaller clubs I guess. Whether you think its right or not, I (and many others, judging by this thread) believe that clubs should get their players from their local region and keep them there, not send them interstate once they're at a certain age. In many ways the current scenario is illogical.

As for SLM - sad times indeed if the Raiders are the only thing keeping them afloat. Is their management much chop? Maybe they need some sort of strategy to keep them alive, have they investigated a deal with the Titans perhaps? The guilt factor of SLM's possible crash cannot be a bargaining chip for Canberra - like in NSW, there must be other options that can ensure SLM's survival.

Timmah

Staff member
Good thing I can argue without the unnecessary personal attacks. Good stuff though, you make the odd valid point outside the abuse.

If it were possible I'd prefer a national reserve grade competition which would see the current NSW Cup and QLD Cups reduced to Metro-Cup sort of level. That scenario still, in my opinion, would need to prevent dual registration, so teams would need to remain within their own state. Sort of like conferencing the smaller clubs I guess. Whether you think its right or not, I (and many others, judging by this thread) believe that clubs should get their players from their local region and keep them there, not send them interstate once they're at a certain age. In many ways the current scenario is illogical.

As for SLM - sad times indeed if the Raiders are the only thing keeping them afloat. Is their management much chop? Maybe they need some sort of strategy to keep them alive, have they investigated a deal with the Titans perhaps? The guilt factor of SLM's possible crash cannot be a bargaining chip for Canberra - like in NSW, there must be other options that can ensure SLM's survival.

siv

First Grade
I agree it should be a National RG

With the Bundy Cup expanding to become the NSW Cup with non NRL clubs participating with NSW Regional divisions added

siv

First Grade
Anyway why can't Canberra just field a Canberra team in the NSW Cup ? Or even a Queanbeyan Blues team

MSIH

Bench
Haha, Rugby League's a joke.

We need all these dinosaurs out of the game and a united Rugby League within Australia asap.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Anyway why can't Canberra just field a Canberra team in the NSW Cup ? Or even a Queanbeyan Blues team

Because it is cheaper to form a partnership with Souths Logan.

Isn't there the potential risk of the entire Raiders catchment area becoming a part of "queensland" if the Raiders are forced to put juniors through that system ??

Timmah

Staff member
Because it is cheaper to form a partnership with Souths Logan.

Isn't there the potential risk of the entire Raiders catchment area becoming a part of "queensland" if the Raiders are forced to put juniors through that system ??

Hold on.

You're telling me it's cheaper to fly players back and forward to f**king Brisbane? :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
Uh, not the point I was making. Surely it would be more cost effective (transport costs alone, not to mention other local benefits) to have a Canberra-run open-age team that acts as the Raiders' feeder in the ACT...

Hold on.

You're telling me it's cheaper to fly players back and forward to f**king Brisbane? :lol:

Ah, well yep.

People are forgetting, that unless we can find an existing club within the NSW Cup, we are going to need to establish one of our own, or jump on board with an existing ACT regional club- who wouldn't have sufficient funds to run a NSW Cup team independently. eg. Goulburn, Queanbeyan.

A lot of you are ignoring the fact, that the NSWRL are not helping us in identifyng an existing club to be affiliated with. Instead relying on us to come up with sizeable funds, that put simply would not be viable.

If we are to establish a new club, we'd have to come up with $500,000 for start-up cash. Then, we'd have to scout numerous regions to buy players, furthermore needing to pay weekly wages.

Whereas, if we joined up with a current NSW Cup team or remained with Souths Logan, only players in our top 25, who are playing in the respective club would need to be paid. I know these wages would be fairly small, but it all adds up.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Ok so the number is $500K as quoted by Canberra

Are you telling me Canberra can't get $500K of sponsorship and grow their membership base as a one city team and throughout southern regional NSW ??

Travel costs to Sydney can't be the issue as they can fly players all over Qld

And setting up a team within the club is not the issue there is pretty good structure in place at the moment to run FG / U20 / U18 / U16

Choosing a 2nd Tier club is not a issue as Queanbeyan Blues is a ready made team and they have the venue in the old Canberra home ground of Seiffort Oval

Canberra ran a standalone RG team over around 25 years - so ability and people who want to help out will not be a issue

This has nothing to do with money - just a principal thing - club trying to tell the admin what to do. And not liking when the admin ie (ARL/QRL/NSWRL/NSW CRL) dictate terms

This one of the reasons why the QRL has been fighting News Ltd to stop happening - when setting up the ARLC

Patsy

Juniors
i can see it now - in 5-10 years from now the Qld half, 5/8 & fullback will be Manly or Canberra juniors who would have ordinarily played in the u16's NSW comp but due to this crazy decision ended up playing their first game over 16 in Qld and hence played origin for Qld.