What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The Raiders are under no obligation to help strengthen the NSW cup. That is absolute crap. The Raiders would be happy to field a reserve grade side but it was the Sydney clubs who wanted rid of reserve grade to cut costs. So the Raiders use Souths Logan to cut costs. Everyone is "winning".

Bring back reserve grade and there is no problem.

franklin2323

Immortal
The Raiders are under no obligation to help strengthen the NSW cup. That is absolute crap. The Raiders would be happy to field a reserve grade side but it was the Sydney clubs who wanted rid of reserve grade to cut costs. So the Raiders use Souths Logan to cut costs. Everyone is "winning".

Bring back reserve grade and there is no problem.

And NSWRL are under no obligation to offer them SG Ball or Harold Matthews positions.

If they are happy to do then do it!!

(KW)

Juniors
Why, because you disagree?

Opinions are not fact.

The Raiders explored all avenues in regards to linking up with an existing NSW Cup side. No workable solution could be arranged. Why should the Raiders be punished by having to fund a new NSW Cup side while other NSW based clubs simply send their excess players to an existing side?

Answer me this: Is there even any current NSW cup sides who dont have an affiliation with an NRL club?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
And NSWRL are under no obligation to offer them SG Ball or Harold Matthews positions.

If they are happy to do then do it!!

Then I hope the Raiders put all their juniors through the Queensland system so they are locked to Queensland for SOO purposes.

greeneyed

First Grade
This is the silly thing. The Raiders, by putting teams into SG Ball and Harold Matthews, go out of their way to develop players from NSW Country and the ACT and qualify them for NSW State of Origin.

How many State of Origin players come out of the NSW Cup?

It is actually not damaging the NSWRL in any way, having the Raiders players placed in Q Cup. The NSW and ACT juniors end up qualified for NSW, and even if they go play some Q Cup, they are still NSW players.

What the NSWRL is now doing is opening the potential for the Raiders to play all their juniors through the Queensland system. And guess which State they'll qualify for? It is astounding stupid on the part of the NSWRL.

But I guess by tomorrow, we'll know how stupid they are.

typicalfan

Coach
Yet people just don't get the bigger picture.

It is laughable that people would question the amount the Raiders put into player development.

I would love to see a stat that showed how much clubs funneled into player development. Canberra would have to be in the top echelon % wise.

footy watch

Juniors
Manly will definitely be fielding a team in the nsw cup.Canberra will use souths logan but have also almagamated with Wests nsw cup.You will find that is because wests tigers will have their own nsw cup team.Canberra and manly will be fielding junior teams in the nsw reps.Bundy cup will be an 8 team comp with brothers dropping out and leichardt wanderers taking their spot.

Spitty

Juniors
Manly will definitely be fielding a team in the nsw cup.Canberra will use souths logan but have also almagamated with Wests nsw cup.You will find that is because wests tigers will have their own nsw cup team.Canberra and manly will be fielding junior teams in the nsw reps.Bundy cup will be an 8 team comp with brothers dropping out and leichardt wanderers taking their spot.

Thanks footy watch, that makes sense and is good news. Got a source?

footy watch

Juniors
yes spitty, it was decided at the nswrl general meeting headed by geoff carr andall ceo's of the junior legue were there.The meeting took place on tuesdy 19th oct.2 days ago

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Raiders juniors still NSW chance

BY CHRIS DUTTON
20 Oct, 2010 07:54 AM

The Canberra Raiders remain hopeful their star juniors will be invited to play in the NSW Rugby League under-age competitions next year.
Raiders chairman John McIntyre and chief executive Don Furner flew to Sydney yesterday to meet with members of the NSWRL board, including general manager Geoff Carr.

The NSWRL has threatened to exclude Canberra's SG Ball (under-18) and Harold Matthews (under-16) teams from the 2011 season unless the Raiders cut ties with the Queensland Cup. The Raiders send their fringe NRL players to Queensland to play with Souths Logan if they are not selected in the first grade side.

But the NSWRL wants the Raiders to support the NSW Cup and either merge with a Sydney club or enter their own team in the state's premier over-age competition.

If the Raiders don't join the NSW Cup, Canberra's junior representative teams could be forced out of their respective competitions.

With the SG Ball and Harold Matthews to begin preparations soon, McIntyre said the Raiders needed to know whether they would be allowed to continue playing.

''It all sounded pretty positive and we expect we'll probably hear from Geoff Carr either [today] or in the next couple of days,'' McIntyre said. ''We need to know as soon as possible, there are a few more issues involved that we don't want to comment on at this stage.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...raiders-juniors-still-nsw-chance/1973445.aspx

greeneyed

First Grade
Frankly, I don't understand why the Raiders would place players with Wests Magpies, which is a feeder club for Wests Tigers. It makes as much sense as the Storm placing players with Cronulla's NSW Cup side. In the Raiders case, the NSWRL is forcing Canberra to support a team in the Wests Tigers district. It is bizarre and ridiculous. I could only hope the Wests Tigers rule it out again, like they did last time. But it looks like it might be a face saver for the NSWRL...

Spitty

Juniors
Sorry I don't see the difference between Canberra placing their players in Campbelltown as opposed to placing them Logan (except the obvious travel discount). It's not like they're eligible to play for Wests Tigers. It just means both clubs can save money on running their respective 2nd tier players. It also means that you are now supporting a NSW rugby league area and saving a NSW club from extinction, rather than a Qld club. Plus now most of your fans are more chance of seeing your 2nd tier players live. Campbelltown's only, what? 2.5 hours up the M5.

Correct me if I'm wrong Spitty, but the way I understand it is that for the Wests Tigers is that contracted players in Balmain Ryde Eastwood + Western Suburbs become the Wests Tigers in Reserve Grade, with BRE dropping out. Western Suburbs meanwhile want to keep their brand in Reserves, so their club will for all purposes be considered seperate to the Wests Tigers in Reserve Grade while fielding Canberra players.

Is that right?

footy watch

Juniors
That is correct.That is the same deal so far also with the storm and the sharks.All contracted storm players will go to qld cup and the others go to sharks.

Spitty

Juniors
Correct me if I'm wrong Spitty, but the way I understand it is that for the Wests Tigers is that contracted players in Balmain Ryde Eastwood + Western Suburbs become the Wests Tigers in Reserve Grade, with BRE dropping out. Western Suburbs meanwhile want to keep their brand in Reserves, so their club will for all purposes be considered seperate to the Wests Tigers in Reserve Grade while fielding Canberra players.

Is that right?

I'd trust Footy Watches response. He's in the loop far more than me.

greeneyed

First Grade
Sorry I don't see the difference between Canberra placing their players in Campbelltown as opposed to placing them Logan (except the obvious travel discount). It's not like they're eligible to play for Wests Tigers. It just means both clubs can save money on running their respective 2nd tier players. It also means that you are now supporting a NSW rugby league area and saving a NSW club from extinction, rather than a Qld club. Plus now most of your fans are more chance of seeing your 2nd tier players live. Campbelltown's only, what? 2.5 hours up the M5.

It seems quite strange to me. Wests Tigers is a merger of Western Suburbs Magpies and Balmain Tigers. Isn't it up to Wests Tigers to "save" the Western Suburbs Magpies "from extinction"?

The Raiders link with Souths Logan gives the Raiders a junior development opportunity, a genuine partnership... but what does placing a few players with Western Suburbs provide except support to a competing NRL club, that doesn't want to support one of its own constituent clubs? It's a strange world indeed.

If Wests Tigers cede Campbelltown as a development area to the Raiders, I could understand it, but Wests Tigers aren't moving out, are they?

Last edited:

greeneyed

First Grade
That is correct.That is the same deal so far also with the storm and the sharks.All contracted storm players will go to qld cup and the others go to sharks.

Sorry, could you clarify? "All contracted Storm players go to Q Cup"... so what "others" are there who go to the Sharks?

greeneyed

First Grade
So the Raiders have confirmed this morning on Canberra radio that a link with Wests Magpies has just a month ago been ruled out by Wests Tigers, as they do not want the Raiders in their district.

The NSWRL now seems to want them to merge with the Dragons in NSW Cup, and the Raiders will again go to Sydney on Wednesday to discuss.

The Raiders have said they don't see any options in Sydney that are logistically or financially viable.