What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup watch

Swarzey

Bench
Success breeds success. Looking forward to what kind of impact this win has on the first grade side when Levi, Mamo, Tapine etc become regulars in first grade. Big wraps has to go to Jacob Saifiti. First year at the club, plays for Fiji, was one of our best forwards in NSW Cup in every game he played including today. Massive, massive future a head of him; so too Feeney but I won't repeat what others have said. Wouldn't hurt seeing Holland and/or Tuha getting a crack on the wing at some stage.

Really finding it difficult to not to look forward to 2016.

Congratulations to the side. To do it from their position and beat the teams they beat to do it is outstanding.

The Knights will struggle against Ipswich big time. They have zero experience playing against them. Ipswich's style of footy will have them quite confused and the Knights Defence won't cope too well.

I will be going into this game as a neutral supporter so hopefully it will be a close one.

Frederick

Staff member
2 certain tries disallowed and still got the win. Great effort from the boys, there's some real talent in this side

I didn't see the game, was listening on radio, but why exactly did Mataoras try get disallowed? Commentators said double movement but his arm never hit the ground. True?

PhilGould

Bench
I didn't see the game, was listening on radio, but why exactly did Mataoras try get disallowed? Commentators said double movement but his arm never hit the ground. True?
The ball came down on someones boot before he grounded it on the tryline so they called it double movement, but his arm hadn't hit the ground and he still had momentum so it should have been a try. All the Fox Sports commentators were amazed when it was disallowed.

K-Man

Bench
The ball came down on someones boot before he grounded it on the tryline so they called it double movement, but his arm hadn't hit the ground and he still had momentum so it should have been a try. All the Fox Sports commentators were amazed when it was disallowed.

The most ridiculous part was that where Mataora ended up was the most natural outcome even if the try line hadn't been there. He would literally have needed to say to himself "I've just planted the ball on a foot, my momentum is carrying me over, my whole body is letting me let the ball move off this stupid foot and find the ground (perhaps even to get a quick play the ball in normal circumstances)... but wait, what if the video ref is a complete moron and calls it a double movement... hmm, better tuck the ball up here away from the grass just in case."

It was an absurd example of a video ref having zero feel for the game or being able to apply logic. If that happens on the half way line there is not a chance in hell that anyone even notices. If that's not a try then seriously, no try where you have to reach out after a fraction of a second of being in a tackle is ever a try.

Haffa

Every single try yesterday was sent up for review. Even ones with zero doubt it was utter madness.

Mandalorian

Juniors
Jets will be a tough prospect next week. They can open up defences at will, especially up the middle. Our boys will have to tighten up that area

I expect a very open and fast game and I hope the refs just let it flow. I expect plenty of blowups as well as we are the last stand for NSW at senior level.

K-Man

Bench
Really poor finishing from our winger. Why any winger still tries to take on a defender in the process of trying to score a try is beyond me - these days you can head to the corner, dive, plant the ball on the ground with your whole body in the air against the corner post. So just do it and get your 4 points.

Mamo did everything possible to set up a try, and a lazy winger tries to force his way over needlessly when he space galore. Not good enough.

PhilGould

Bench
Yeah Tofilau's having a pretty rough game so far. He's only 18 and has been in u/20's all year, probably a bit overwhelmed by the big stage. I like him as a player though, I think he could be really good in a few years.

We're actually going alright now that we've settled down. Our attack has looked pretty dangerous, it's just our defence in the first 15 that cost us.

K-Man

Bench
Yeah Tofilau's having a pretty rough game so far. He's only 18 and has been in u/20's all year, probably a bit overwhelmed by the big stage. I like him as a player though, I think he could be really good in a few years.

We're actually going alright now that we've settled down. Our attack has looked pretty dangerous, it's just our defence in the first 15 that cost us.

Can't agree at all from what I've seen. Looks like he lacks football smarts. Wasn't he the standing in-field when the short droput was taken and it went straight over his head? Guaranteed the team had spoken about it all week and he still wasn't ready. I have little faith in guys like that ever making it unless they are physical beasts, and he's hardly a wrecking ball.

K-Man

Bench
Out-coached as well as outplayed so far. What I like about the Jets is that it's nothing crazy, it's just smart tactical football. They do the little things most teams are too afraid to do and it works.

They figure attack is always the best form of defence, and they run the opposition ragged on every single play, compete for every kick off, and just never ever let you settle for one 'normal' hitup. Every now and then it's going to lead to errors, but the better you get at it the harder it will be to stop.

I'm looking at how the Walkers have got these guys implementing their philosophy and thinking how well would they go with an NRL team and NRL quality, full-time professional footballers?

It could be a whole new level.

Noname36

First Grade
Out-coached as well as outplayed so far. What I like about the Jets is that it's nothing crazy, it's just smart tactical football. They do the little things most teams are too afraid to do and it works.

They figure attack is always the best form of defence, and they run the opposition ragged on every single play, compete for every kick off, and just never ever let you settle for one 'normal' hitup. Every now and then it's going to lead to errors, but the better you get at it the harder it will be to stop.

I'm looking at how the Walkers have got these guys implementing their philosophy and thinking how well would they go with an NRL team and NRL quality, full-time professional footballers?

It could be a whole new level.

To be honest I've been very underwhelmed watching the Jets. The short kick offs work but I was expecting much more flair wise given how much hype there's been. The result it mostly us shooting ourselves in the foot which is standard rather than anything brilliant by the opposition so far.

I love the Walkers' philosophy but there's still a long way to go until it's ready to be implemented in the NRL. The likes of the Roosters and Melbourne in particular would cut them to sheds. We need to remember they're playing the reserve grade side of the worst team in the comp. Doesn't say much at all in terms of how it would work in the NRL.

I hope it does one day, but it wouldn't work in the current environment so I'm happy we aren't going to be the guinea pigs.

PhilGould

Bench
I really hope Ndaira considers playing on next year. He's been great for us since coming out of retirement.

Frederick

Staff member
Filipo is just as trash now as he was in his first stint with us. Don't see the point to him at all