What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup watch

macavity

Referee
Mamo has been acting like a wanker for weeks, cheap shots, constantly picking fights, pushing and shoving, he got binned last week for coming in to a fight and punching a random player who wasn't even involved in the original fight. Someone needed to put him on his ass, it's a shame the punch didn't quite connect because he needs to tone it down. He is fast becoming a very hated player due to his antics and I couldn't care less if we moved the piece of shit on.

He didn't punch anyone last week - he was third man in pushing, but didn't punch.

Did you actually watch the event at all? He was running back into the line, elbowed by the first guy, pushed by two more, he pushed back, and then Mr Coward Punch runs in and clocks him in the side of the head as two jets players are holding on to him.

Yes he carries on, but he did nothing to deserve what happened, the Jets players started it and finished it, and it was absolutely sickening.

PhilGould

Bench
I don't know what's gotten into him. He's always played at 100 miles an hour and never been one to back down from bigger players trying to push him around, which is a great thing and something you want from your little guys, but he's taken it too far in the last few weeks. Hopefully he tones it back a bit by the start of next season.

Last edited:

K-Man

Bench
I think of greater concern than Mamo's short fuse is his equally short list of skills. When you take off your blue and red glasses and watch him as a modern-day fullback, there's not all that much to get excited about.

Strengths:
- Speed. Allegedly anyway, as I'm not convinced he's anything but slightly above average. Feeney looks considerably quicker, and he's a halfback).
- Elusiveness. Again, it's there but he doesn't exactly beat the first tackler consistently. He's not bad in the clear, but nothing special against quality defences.)
- Energy. Can't fault him on having 100% to the cause and turning up play after play.
- X Factor. Both good and bad really, but I'll give him a tick for being unpredictable in a game that has become way too predictable.

Weaknesses (tempted to just say everything else, but I won't):
- Ball-playing / creating. I've got him worst of NRL fullbacks in this category.
- Positioning / reading the game. Again somewhere near the bottom of the list.
- Discipline. Dead last by a mile.
- Last line of defence. Not enough evidence, but doesn't stand out.

I want Mamo to be successful, I really do. But I don't see what some people obviously see. He's the fullback you had 20 years ago. But these days does he have the skill set?

Haffa

I don't know how anyone can justify the coward punch and say he somehow deserved it. It was dirty and should have seen the grub sent from the field.

Refs allowing the jets to infringe on the line killed any hope we had of a comeback.

Burwood

Bench
Feeney has a history at fullback and he looks like he could develop into the role very nicely in the next year or two. All of his strengths as a player seem to suit the mould of a modern fullback more so than playing in the halves.

Burwood

Bench
Refs allowing the jets to infringe on the line killed any hope we had of a comeback.

Our spine offering zero creativity in attack did more damage than the two penalties given away by Ipswich's halfback. It's scary how much reserve grade mirrored our nrl team- look good with quick play the balls and marching up the middle, but completely lost when they get close to the try line.

He didn't punch anyone last week - he was third man in pushing, but didn't punch.

Did you actually watch the event at all? He was running back into the line, elbowed by the first guy, pushed by two more, he pushed back, and then Mr Coward Punch runs in and clocks him in the side of the head as two jets players are holding on to him.

Yes he carries on, but he did nothing to deserve what happened, the Jets players started it and finished it, and it was absolutely sickening.

Last week he was no where near the incident, ran in from nowhere and attacked a random player, this was after he was playing like a complete grub for the whole game.

Same thing this game, before the incident he was constantly pushing and shoving people for no reason. This is why punching needs to be brought back. To sort out dick heads like Mamo.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Mamo certainly has been a bit of a shit lately but no one deserves a coward punch to the head. I'd be all for him copping some medicine in a 1 on 1 fight if he started it but that clearly wasn't the case here. The guy who punched him is a scummy piece of shit, how anyone can support that crap is beyond me.

K-Man

Bench
Feeney has a history at fullback and he looks like he could develop into the role very nicely in the next year or two. All of his strengths as a player seem to suit the mould of a modern fullback more so than playing in the halves.

At first I leaned towards grooming Feeney as a running 5/8 in the mould of Austin and Morgan, but have to admit the more I see the more I think I agree with you that fullback could be his best spot.

If that's the case I'd love to see Brown make that clear to him - that his future in first grade is at fullback - and start that plan now. Problem is, we're light on for halves and Brown might have no choice but to consider Feeney the first backup to Mullen and Hodkinson.

What I like about Feeney (in a fullback comparison to Mamo) is that while organising isn't his strength and passing isn't his first instinct, he actually does have a selective passing game to call on. He Form fullback you don't have to pass all the time, you just have to nail a few when you need to do - and with the massive threat he'd pose through his blinding speed you can see him racking up some try assists too if he really worked on it. With Mamo, I'm not sure there is any natural ball playing ability to work with it, it will be entirely manufactured and we'll basically have Sam Perrett 2.0

harrywilliams

Juniors
Mamo niggles like most NRL players. Niggling and small guys getting under big guys skin happens in every game but getting blind sided and king hit out of nowhere by a guy double his size who wasn't involved in any of the original pushing is just disgraceful on the field. Mamo was knocked out and has suffered bad concussion for what, niggling. If Mamo got punched after punching him first then so be it but coming in as third man while Mamo is being held by two players and king hitting from the blind side, it's as weak as you get. No problem with Mamo getting roughed up, even shoulder charged but a huge king hit to the head out of nowhere is assault and easily could have killed him. How the scum only gets one week suspension is beyond me. George Burgess gets more weeks banned for throwing a water bottle than a guy who viciously king hits and knocks out a defenceless player. What a joke the NRL has become. Imagine if it happened to Thurston or Smith, they'd get a life ban.

Anyway though agreed Feeney could really excel at fullback and Brown has already mentioned this as a possibility. He's an Austin clone but he has played fullback and has everything going for him to be a top fullback for us. Mamo has to be in the NRL side though, he has to be. You can just tell once he adds some more size he'll break the tackles that he's just getting pulled down in the last inch with. He just needs a bit more power and work on his passing and he'll be fine. I've seen him force repeat sets quite a few times so he has that kick in him that works well but agreed he really needs to work on his passing game.

I'd be happy with

1. Jaelen Feeney
2. Jake Mamo
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Dane Gagai
5. Akuila Uate

OR

1. Jake Mamo
2. Chanel Mata'utia
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Dane Gagai
5. Akuila Uate

Either way we know Brown will get what he wants with a young squad. He loves the young players and seems to get the best out of them so we'll be relying on him doing that for us next year. It sucks that we start off the year without Sione but we have some really great young talent there that just needs to be developed, encouraged and enhanced. They can really make a name for themselves.

1qaz

Juniors
I think of greater concern than Mamo's short fuse is his equally short list of skills. When you take off your blue and red glasses and watch him as a modern-day fullback, there's not all that much to get excited about.

Strengths:
- Speed. Allegedly anyway, as I'm not convinced he's anything but slightly above average. Feeney looks considerably quicker, and he's a halfback).
- Elusiveness. Again, it's there but he doesn't exactly beat the first tackler consistently. He's not bad in the clear, but nothing special against quality defences.)
- Energy. Can't fault him on having 100% to the cause and turning up play after play.
- X Factor. Both good and bad really, but I'll give him a tick for being unpredictable in a game that has become way too predictable.

Weaknesses (tempted to just say everything else, but I won't):
- Ball-playing / creating. I've got him worst of NRL fullbacks in this category.
- Positioning / reading the game. Again somewhere near the bottom of the list.
- Discipline. Dead last by a mile.
- Last line of defence. Not enough evidence, but doesn't stand out.

I want Mamo to be successful, I really do. But I don't see what some people obviously see. He's the fullback you had 20 years ago. But these days does he have the skill set?

This. Been saying it for awhile.
Mamo has some speed but I wouldn't call him express. He's enthusiastic.
Apart from that... what else does he really bring to fullback?
Compare to other nippy smaller players, he's not that elusive at all.

perverse

Referee
It was one of the more blatant dog shots I've ever seen. 1 week is a piss take.

Having said that, the more I see of Mamo, the less I like the guy as a player and a person. Needs to pull his head in. He seems to think he's king shit, but has achieved absolutely zero in his career.

He doesn't seem to have a great deal of smarts at all in his game... and I'm even skeptical about this speed he supposedly has. Could be our next legit dud, he's never had me convinced at all. Gets regularly dominated physically, even in NSW cup... has a very hot head and no playmaking ability that I've seen thus far. Gagai definitely needs to be our fullback, 1000x the player Mamo is.

Levi looked exhausted the last few weeks, but I've seen much more in him in much less time.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
Throw a bottle - 2 weeks.
Dog shot - 1 week.

The judiciary is ridiculous.
Maybe different rules apply to Queenslanders? See Hodges, Hunt and now this twat. Yet they'll continue to whinge about how hard done by they are.

Latest posts