What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Fullback - Kurt Gidley?

borat

Bench
CWBush said:
Gower has never performed at rep level. He's like Barrett in that respect. If Joey isn't fit, I expect Orford to get the halfback nod.

Give yourself an uppercut CWB. Barrett always played well for NSW. If only he could have produced that form for the dragons.

Seriously, Kurt Gidley is a long long way from proving he can cut it for a whole season in first grade let alone SOO. The Knights, and Gidley, started last year well and he looked the goods but by the end of the year look at his form. I would go as far to say he is one clanger of a game away from getting dropped for either Polglase or Thaiday when fit.

Hornby has NSW and Aust rep credentials, Gower has played plenty of rep football. Both are by far and away infront of Kurt Gidley as a Utility.

The one thing Gidley does have, as you have already said, is his defence is strong. He looks like he has bulked up abit this year CWB? Might I add however that Hornby and Gower are strong defenders also so its not really an issue.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Give yourself an uppercut, go back to the very last post before this one, and do a little light reading.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Kidley is a dead-set certainty to play Origin

Only if his mum is on the selection committee.
and even then - she prefers Hornby

borat

Bench
CWBush said:
Give yourself an uppercut, go back to the very last post before this one, and do a little light reading.

mate you were the twit who posted it in the first palce:roll:

Misanthrope

Staff member
mate you were the twit who posted it in the first palce

I was. And if you'd read the rest of the thread rather than just hitting reply immediately, you'd see that I made a mistake and corrected it.

Only if his mum is on the selection committee.
and even then - she prefers Hornby

No bias there at all :roll: I didn't see Hornby winning any games for his team last Friday.

borat

Bench
CWBush said:
I was. And if you'd read the rest of the thread rather than just hitting reply immediately, you'd see that I made a mistake and corrected it.

I read the rest of the thread immediately after I posted. I just didn't think you would be so precious over the term "give yourself an uppercut". Its hardly a stinging rebuke CWB and I didn't feel I needed to edit my post.

My bad.

Thats a few mistakes you have made recently CWB ;-)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Thats a few mistakes you have made recently CWB

Two in a fortnight. Sweet Jesus! Well, there's nothing for it. I'd best off myself. No, no - don't try to talk me out of it. I've failed humanity with my two mistakes, and can no longer live with the shame. If only there was an Australian equivalent to seppuku.

borat

Bench
CWBush said:
Two in a fortnight. Sweet Jesus! Well, there's nothing for it. I'd best off myself. No, no - don't try to talk me out of it. I've failed humanity with my two mistakes, and can no longer live with the shame. If only there was an Australian equivalent to seppuku.

LOL calm down CWB. It was a joke hence the wink. I wouldn't attack a fellow LU member with impeccable taste in the A_league team he supports.

Misanthrope

Staff member
LOL calm down CWB. It was a joke hence the wink. I wouldn't attack a fellow LU member with impeccable taste in the A_league team he supports.

So was my reply :p

Jets FTW. Carle was robbed by Arnold. Further proof he needs to go.

perverse

Referee
i'm going to go straight on the record in saying that if Kidley continues the form he has had for the last 2 weeks up until origin - he will get a sky blue jersey. Smith has found his role in a football team, and i don't think kids will ever look back. He looked superb in the games he played at the end of last year from fullback.. and looks sensational starting this year. i've no doubt he will get a sky blue - i just don't know which one. that will depend entirely on the form of other fullbacks. i daresay it will either be #1 or #17.

also watch out for johns/mullen combination for origin. it's getting more and more possible every day.

this is all pending on the knights form of course - and i'm the first one to admit that i hold a little bias.. we'll have to wait and see.

Frederick

Staff member
sh*t, if Johns, Mullen, and Kidley all get selected for Origin...we're f**ked at club level :lol: :|

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
The point the CWBush has missed is you don't need the "utility" player to need the ability to play in the forwards -- there are three other people on the bench that are there for that reason. He is there to cover the backs.

Mr Saab

Referee
perverse said:
also watch out for johns/mullen combination for origin. it's getting more and more possible every day.

Not if Ross Livermore has his way....Johns will be commentating on the game rather than playing it

DeeGan

Bench
Saab is right - if John doesn't declare himself available for the May Test, QLD will veto any move for a Origin recall. As Lockyer said, who with Mal is supporting his move to play Origin, if we set a standard whereby a player can pick what rep fixture he is wanting to play, we set a dangerous precadent.

I know this is a whole other thread - though would Johns win back his Test jumper from the incumbent Johnathan Thurston who is the future of the team and currently on form the best player in the game?

borat

Bench
DeeGan said:
Saab is right - if John doesn't declare himself available for the May Test, QLD will veto any move for a Origin recall. As Lockyer said, who with Mal is supporting his move to play Origin, if we set a standard whereby a player can pick what rep fixture he is wanting to play, we set a dangerous precadent.

I know this is a whole other thread - though would Johns win back his Test jumper from the incumbent Johnathan Thurston who is the future of the team and currently on form the best player in the game?

Livermore and Mal are full of BS. The publicity that a return of Johns to origin would create will overide any precedent, no matter how much I agree with them.

DeeGan

Bench
Livermore and Mal are full of BS - yet you agree with them?

State of Origin lived on without Wally Lewis, State of Origin will live on minus Andrew Johns.

borat

Bench
DeeGan said:
Livermore and Mal are full of BS - yet you agree with them?

State of Origin lived on without Wally Lewis, State of Origin will live on minus Andrew Johns.

I agree that players shouldn't be able to pick and choose when they want to play Rep footy. But League is a business so Mal and Livermore are full of BS by saying that they will stop him from doing it.

The publicity that would surround a will he won't he saga and the final return of Joey will overide any sense of what is right and wrong. The hype will be huge, the interest in series will be huge and TV ratings will be huge.

The point you made about Wally is true which is the problem, SOO doesn't have the tribalism and and intensity that it used to in Wallys day. Don't kid yourself that league doesn't need the publicity as much as the other codes.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Thurston is a better 5/8th than Half, so he should realistically be competing with Lockyer for the spot. Lockyer's off to his usual do nothing for most of the game but put up sh*t kicks and go missing at crucial times start to the season...