What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Game II team announced

Like El Masri (one game, should have played many more), Blacklock, and now Soward, he never has and never will get a look in because the NSW selectors think little blokes can't tackle and don't belong in Origin. I think it's a crock of sh*t, and Soward should have got a run this year, and the other 3 should have been picked years ago.

edit: thanks biffo for reminding me of the Gasnier 5/8 debacle. I had blocked it out of my mind.

You can add Nathan Merritt to that list as well.

Year after year he is among the top try scorers even though South's are playing like Mongs and he can't get a run. If he were a Queenslander, he'd have been picked 3 years ago.

The problem with the NSW selectors is that they try to fill the team with backrowers. They even try to select the biggest half and 5/8 they have available, rather than the most skillful. The rationale is that they can defend QLD out of the series. I say, f**k that. Fill your team with the best attacking players you can find. The halves should be guys who can set tries up, and the backs should be blokes who know how to finish and have pace to burn. If I were picking the side, I'd have found spots for Soward, Sutton, Merritt, Jennings, Brett Morris and possibly even Presto. You may have a few tries put on you, but f**k me, you'd be scoring plenty as well.

As for the Forwards, our front row depth is sh*t atm, but we have a stack of attacking backrowers. We need to pick attacking footballers. Its what QLD have been doing for the last four years.

Red Bear

Referee
Im sorry
Where do you stick these little guys?
Look at the Qld backline.
Look at our.
It is hardly a great defensive makeup, you wouldnt want it weaker in that area than it already is, and adding any of presto, soward etc will simply weaken it.

Now if we had the current Qld side then we could easily throw a soward, campbell in the halves without a problem because we'd have the players around them to make up for deficiencys in defence and we would be dictating terms.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree with someone above. Clean sweeps are rare. Queensland winning in sydney is rare. We'll win game 2, and the selectors and media will go off about the great return of nsw to origin, and then we'll get fisted in game 3.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm sure determination alone will possibly give NSW a win - But that is a hideous team and the selectors only have themselves to blame if Queensland gets in the record books.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If Wing is out, then I think Campbell should go in ahead of Hornby. Watching Preston defend, I continue to be amazed by his effectiveness. He's got a massive heart, a good brain and that elusive X-Factor.

I also agree that Learoyd-Lahrs should have gotten the call up ahead of Stewart. I think it was a pity selection because he missed the first game. As said above, if TLL and Watmough both turned up then they really could take the game by the throat.

I think Wallace is lucky ... Barrett could just as easily be playing halfback, but Campo really didn't do himself any favours on Sunday. I haven't really rated Soward in the past, but given the importance of kicking and field position in Origin, I'm surprised that the FORM general kicker from NSW hasn't really gotten a look in.

Ultimtely, I think NSW need to embrace strategies that are outside the box (can Bellamy even do that) because Queensland just have too much firepower. We don't have an Inglis, a Thurston or a Civonaceva ... and those are just the three that are head and shoulders above the competition, there are plenty of others who are probably better than what we have at the Blues too. We need a rope-a-dope strategy.

drake

First Grade
I'm pretty sure Greg Inglis won't be able to train this week; he won't stop laughing and dancing until Sunday.

Barrett, even though I think he's a turd, will do the job well. God knows the only time he plays well is leading up to Origin and in Origin. He'll go back to sleep in a few weeks.

NSW selectors have no idea. They are a bunch of patsies.

And Patsy, well, he's good for a laugh.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Just cause blokes are little doesnt mean they cant defend.

Going around the legs is easy, anyone with some balls can do it.

This team just sh*ts me off something chronic, how Lyon, Williams, Stewart etc can make the team is pathetic.

We're gonna struggle up front again with only 3 props in the team, i'm hoping that one of the backrowers is out injured and TLL can come in purely for his size and grit.

If wing is out, then Hornby should come into the team and actually start at half back.

The combination he will have with Barrett will work.

TouchMyHappy

Juniors
Just cause blokes are little doesnt mean they cant defend.

Going around the legs is easy, anyone with some balls can do it.

This team just sh*ts me off something chronic, how Lyon, Williams, Stewart etc can make the team is pathetic.

We're gonna struggle up front again with only 3 props in the team, i'm hoping that one of the backrowers is out injured and TLL can come in purely for his size and grit.

If wing is out, then Hornby should come into the team and actually start at half back.

The combination he will have with Barrett will work.

Gee, anti-Manly agenda here or what? 38 - 6 in a Semi-Final can do that to you =]

Knightmare

Coach
For the last 3 years we've been hearing all about how the XXXX Dream Team are going to wipe the floor with us all series, yet the deciding match has always been a close one. In 2006 they won the decider by 2, in 2007, by 4, last year, by 6 and Tony Archer playing as the 14th man.

I think if the Blues can win in Sydney, Game 3 is by no means a foregone conclusion. NSW have an alright record at Suncorp since the 2003 redevelopment, it doesn't hold the fear for them that the old Lang Park did in the 80's.

saint-colesy

Juniors
So could 28-0 a few years before hand ;)

The point is, these blokes dont deserve an origin jersey and the selectors have f**ked up once again.

Jennings is another one that i didnt mention in the first post.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I have never seen a group of supporters go to the past like Manly supporters have been in this thread :lol:

saint-colesy

Juniors
2007 game 3 was a dead rubber mate, they won the first two.

And the last two years they have hammered us in the second game.

Im sorry
Where do you stick these little guys?
Look at the Qld backline.
Look at our.
It is hardly a great defensive makeup, you wouldnt want it weaker in that area than it already is, and adding any of presto, soward etc will simply weaken it.

Now if we had the current Qld side then we could easily throw a soward, campbell in the halves without a problem because we'd have the players around them to make up for deficiencys in defence and we would be dictating terms.

Qld pick small blokes and poor defenders all the time. Slater is an ex-jockey and Lockyer can't tackle to save his life. Fact of the matter is, they pick them on their attacking prowess and then pick a few good defenders to throw in around them. You never hear this "he's too small for origin" quote from a Queenslander. Bowen is another great example. Qld have had no hesitation with picking him in the past.

Besides, the blokes I named weren't all small, nor were they all bad defenders. The thing they had in common was that they were all either point scorers or blokes who are renowned for creating opportunities.

Red Bear

Referee
Qld pick small blokes and poor defenders all the time. Slater is an ex-jockey and Lockyer can't tackle to save his life. Fact of the matter is, they pick them on their attacking prowess and then pick a few good defenders to throw in around them. You never hear this "he's too small for origin" quote from a Queenslander. Bowen is another great example. Qld have had no hesitation with picking him in the past.

Besides, the blokes I named weren't all small, nor were they all bad defenders. The thing they had in common was that they were all either point scorers or blokes who are renowned for creating opportunities.
They also have A Harrison and Johnson in the forwards, who just tackle and add dont run the ball, whereas we actually have to use our backrow to attack alot more because that is our strength. If we had a Hindmarsh or Fitzy type playing I'd almost agree with you but fact of the matter is we can have the likes of Creagh, O Donnel and Gallen worried about having to defend for 4 other players when we need them to run wide and concentrate on their role with the ball.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
1. Kirt Gidley
Obvious choice,needs an improvement from game one, was solid with a bad backend to the game, will improve.
2. Jarryd Hayne
Only real question was should he be fullback, one NSW best.
3. Micheal Jennings
Probably won't past the physical decent debut.
4. Jamie Lyon
Very good defensive centre, need to contain Inglis better.
5. David Williams
Had a great season last season being on Boyd meant height was not required.
6. Trent Barrett
Clearly Campo is unlucky, Trent has played well all season in a losing side, always plays well for NSW and clearly is there to provide experience in the halves with Wallace, I reckon the selectors will be hoping Wallace play more like he has for the Broncos when partnered with the experienced Lockyer. I think the selectors prefered that to Campese and Kimmorley, but did not want the two young blokes together.
7. Peter Wallace
Clearly the NSW selectors see this guy as the long term solution. I reckon Campo and Mullen will battle for the 6 next to him in the future but for this series they are giving him an experienced, confident and great mentor player next to him.
8. Brent Kite
Plays well for Manly does f**k all for NSW, problem being our only prop with any SoO experience (With Bailey out). Hopefully has a good game in blue
9. Robbie Farah
Good debut and the form hooker for a couple of seasons, still filthy he did not come off the bench last year, bad call there, would be play his 5th not 2nd game then.
10. Micheal Weyman
Solid debut prefer him starting too.
11. Ben Creagh
Power, skill, pace, hits, has the lot, great debut and will only get better
12. Luke O'Donnell
Experienced, tough, consistant, great backrower.
13. Paul Gallen
The man QLDers hate, has blue running through his viens, will add much needed aggression if fit.
14. Craig Wing
Showed in game how dangerous he can be, another in doubt
15. Justin Poore
Solid debut and playing well.
16. Glen Stewart
Good balling lock, not required in this team, TLL much better selection, but if Gallen is out, Stewart to lock and big Tom in this place. TLL will be great from the bench.
17. Anthony Watmough
Good attacking forward, might do well in the arse end of each half.

Tom Learoyd Lahrs
Should be on the bench already
Joel Monaghan
Not sure what this bloke has done wrong, would be more than happy with him for Williams, but not much in it.
Josh Morris
Great form but geez I would have Matt Cooper anyday, in particular if Jenning ruled out.

All in all I think the selectors have shown there true form, man love for Barrett, Bozos Manly love.
The only place we are in front of the QLDers is the backrow. We are short a front rower, and Lyon needs to contain Inglis better.
NSW by 6 at home.

They also have A Harrison and Johnson in the forwards, who just tackle and add dont run the ball, whereas we actually have to use our backrow to attack alot more because that is our strength. If we had a Hindmarsh or Fitzy type playing I'd almost agree with you but fact of the matter is we can have the likes of Creagh, O Donnel and Gallen worried about having to defend for 4 other players when we need them to run wide and concentrate on their role with the ball.

Well Duh, you pick Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon in the backrow. Why we focus on trying to attack through the backrow has me completely miffed. Backs score points, Forwards do the work. At the moment we pick workhorse backs and attacking forwards :crazy:You basically have to be a second rower to get a run in the NSW backline.

Big Pete

Referee
For the last 3 years we've been hearing all about how the XXXX Dream Team are going to wipe the floor with us all series, yet the deciding match has always been a close one. In 2006 they won the decider by 2, in 2007, by 4, last year, by 6 and Tony Archer playing as the 14th man.

I think if the Blues can win in Sydney, Game 3 is by no means a foregone conclusion. NSW have an alright record at Suncorp since the 2003 redevelopment, it doesn't hold the fear for them that the old Lang Park did in the 80's.

Won by 2 in Game 3 2006.

When we had the likes of Adam Mogg, Josh Hannay and Rhys Wesser running around for us. Not to mention there were three very controversial decisions that went your way.

Won by 6 in Game 3 2008 with thanks from Tony Archer.
I love it how the Blues seem to forget we lost our halfback in the opening quater of the game which would normally cripple most sides yet we went toe to toe with yours and you couldn't produce the goods. Archer costing NSWs is a myth.

I'd probably give you 2007 but you're forgetting it was Queenslands first ever victory at ANZ Stadium which would've had some preverse effect on them. The first Suncorp Stadium game blew out thanks to some very contentous decisions by Paul Simpkins and Game 3 saw NSWs defeat a crippled Queensland in the dying stages, hardly a 'stunning' victory.

I don't believe this is the best Origin team but it certainly ranks up there as one of Queenslands best.

Mr Saab

Referee
i agree with someone above. Clean sweeps are rare. Queensland winning in sydney is rare. We'll win game 2, and the selectors and media will go off about the great return of nsw to origin, and then we'll get fisted in game 3.

QLD have won the past 2 from the past 3 games in sydney. QLD have no fears of sydney anymore.

Tommax25

Bench
shocking team....
selections i DONT like:
Wallace - has no creativity and cant steer the team
D.Williams - ONE tackle and he is currently a great winger?
Glenn Stewart: a powder puff 2nd rower who people claim as 'a ball player' pffffffffffft
Kite: never stepped up for origin, to slow

i would have rathered:
John Williams, Monaghan
Mullen - simply as he kicks well
TLL - have him over stewart as he is a metre eater
anyone for kite.....

He IS a ball player. He plays at 5/8 occassionally for manly and has given some sublime balls throughout the year (most notably in the test). I dont think I understand your point? If they wanted a second rower who will do the tough runs and hard yards they have it in odonnel and gallen and creah (if needed). If they want someone with a skillset OTHER than that one particular ability so they have more than simply plan A then they have stewart and watmough. However, watmough should not have been selected.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Won by 2 in Game 3 2006.

When we had the likes of Adam Mogg, Josh Hannay and Rhys Wesser running around for us. Not to mention there were three very controversial decisions that went your way.

Your harsh on Moggy, he was f**king outstanding for QLD in those 2 games, scored a couple of cracking tries, i thought in his appearences he was amongst QLD's best.

Latest posts