What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

The Gambler

Juniors
1. Stewart
2. Lawrence
3. Jennings
4. Cooper
5. Monaghan
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Hindmarsh
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Weyman
15. Waterhouse
16. Cross
17. Galloway

Hayne and Mason are two players who will probably get picked, but in my opinion definitely do not deserve it.

ulcerate

Juniors
1. B. Stewart
2. Best
3. Monaghan
4. Cooper
5. Williams
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Cross
16. Poore
17. Watmough

18. G. Stewart

Red Bear

Referee
Kurt gidley has been in the form of his life.

What about throwing him in as lock? No other high quality locks at the moment. He could do a decent job there IMO and allows us to pick Stewert to start also.

Luke Bailey better start.

Our lack of quality outside backs is unbelievable at the moment, Cooper is the only player Im confident will do a good job, if only for his defence

Joker's Wild

Coach
1. Gidley - His best position and is totally wasted on the bench.
2. Hayne - Big confidence player. May not be setting the world on fire for the Eels but has great skill
3. Jennings - Fast, powerful and young.
4. Monaghan - Tall and elusive to match what Qld will throw at us.
5. B. Stewart - Too good to leave out. f**k not picking players out of position, SOO is about having the best 17 available
6. Campese - Has convinced me enough to put him above the others
7. Wallace - Strong defence and great vision
8. Kite - Needs to be picked, best prop in NSW
9. Farah - Has shown what he can do in a pretty poor team. His short kicking game is tremendous
10. Bailey - In top form and has great passion.
11. Creagh - Great wide runner and shows plenty of guts. Should have been picked last year
12. Laffranchi - Great ball skills and plays above his weight
13. Gallen - Lets face it he is a tool but grows an extra leg when playing for the Blues.

14. Lewis - Best alround player in the NRL. Can cover all positions barring front row.
15. G. Stewart - Runs great holes and hits hard.
16. Weyman - Does the simple things well. Run, bend the line, line up again
17. Galloway - Has shown some great skill and is always running off players hips. Unstoppable close to the line.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
By Josh Massoud

PANTHERS speedster Michael Jennings has doled out plenty of autographs in his short NRL career - and now NSW selectors are desperately hunting his signature.

The in-form centre needs to put pen to paper at least one more time to turn his State of Origin dream to reality.

A blistering beacon in Penrith's gloomy run since his 2007 debut, Jennings has support in high places to steal a spot in the Blues backline. All that stands in the 20-year-old's way is the thinnest sliver of red tape.

Although his stunning pace and evasion have captured the attention of Blues selectors, Jennings remains off-limits because he is still technically betrothed to Tonga.

The former Australian Schoolboys prodigy turned out for the Pacific Island nation on the basis of ancestry at last year's World Cup and is still yet to formally change his allegiance.

And with NSW planning to announce a preliminary squad for this year's series on April 29, he only has a fortnight to declare himself eligible.

To do so, Jennings must state in writing which country he wishes to represent. But the relevant field on his 2009 NRL registration form with Penrith mysteriously remains blank.

Told of the situation last night, the St Marys junior confirmed his lifelong desire to wear sky blue.

"I would love to play for NSW. That's definitely what I want to do," he said. "It's such an honour to be even mentioned as a chance."

Although he represented the Australian PM XIII against Papua New Guinea last September, Jennings said he hadn't seriously contemplated an Origin berth.

"I ended up playing for Tonga when I didn't get picked for Australia for the World Cup," he said. "It was great to represent my family's country. After that I just kept the eligibility blank to see what happened.

"But playing Origin is a major goal for me. It's been an ambition of mine since I was a kid."

Jennings has missed just two games since his debut and has already amassed 29 tries, but his form this season has reached another level, starring for a beaten Panthers outfit under the nose of NSW Origin coach Craig Bellamy in Melbourne last Saturday night.

NSWRL boss Geoff Carr confirmed that Jennings would have to change his eligibility in writing to be considered - not only for the Blues preliminary squad, but also the City side on May 8.

Fellow Tongan International Feleti Mateo is in the same boat, while Fiji's World Cup star Jarryd Hayne has already informed Carr of his desire to play Origin this season.

Jennings, who will face off against Joel Monaghan, Matt Cooper and Josh Morris for the Origin jersey, has a perfect chance to state claims against Maroons powerhouse Justin Hodges at CUA Stadium on Friday night.

Daily Telegraph
hmmmmmmmmm

The Gambler

Juniors
They make it sound like he has got the position already.

I would of thought he was in a very tight contest with Lawrence and Monaghan for the other spot, assuming Cooper has the other one already.

I am surprised with this talk of Morris in an origin jersey this year.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
1. Gidley
2. Lawrence
3. Cooper
4. Jennings
5. Monaghan
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Kite
9. Farah
10. Bailey
11. Creagh
12. Laffranchi
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Watmough
16. Weyman
17. Galloway

Sleep

Juniors
I'll finally give it a go:

1. Stewart
2. Hayne (he's been playing out of postion and is a good fit)
3. Jennings
4. Cooper
5. Monaghan (Marks Folau and gives us a chance against the high ball)
6. Campese (In form player in the NRL)
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Stewart
13. Gallen

14. Cross (Good form and I was the first one to rip on him previous years)
15. Waterhouse (Outstanding form, best of his career)
16. Sutton (Gallen into the second row when he's on)
17. Gidley (You have to find a spot for him)

18. Lewis (Can cover all spots but can't nail down one)

The Gambler

Juniors
Hayne should not be picked for NSW.

He has done nothing this season, nor did he do anything last season. Sorry he was once a top player, but he has got a real attitude problem and is now a nuffy.

simmo1

First Grade
Kurt gidley has been in the form of his life.

What about throwing him in as lock? No other high quality locks at the moment. He could do a decent job there IMO and allows us to pick Stewert to start also.

Luke Bailey better start.

Our lack of quality outside backs is unbelievable at the moment, Cooper is the only player Im confident will do a good job, if only for his defence

Yeah and while we are at it, lets throw him in at prop. :roll:

A jack of all trades. Master of none.

1) Stewart
2) Monaghan
3) Cooper
4) Best
5) Williams
6) Campese
7) Mullen
8) Bailey
9) Ennis
10) Galloway
11) Lafranchi
12) Watmough
13) Creagh

14) Farah
15) Gallen
16) Weyman
17) Leroyd Lahrs

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah and while we are at it, lets throw him in at prop. :roll:

A jack of all trades. Master of none.

Wake up mate. He is a master fullback, arguably the best in NSW.

SOO is about having the best 17 available players, position should be a secondary consideration.

simmo1

First Grade
Wake up mate. He is a master fullback, arguably the best in NSW.

OK, yes, he is a good fullback. But Stewart is still a much better fullback. Gidley's utility value however is vastly overrated.

SOO is about having the best 17 available players, position should be a secondary consideration.
What a strange thing to say. So if the best 17 were all props, you'd be happy to have them all in the team? Do you think QLD will be playing Thurston, Prince, Lockyer and Cronk all in the same team? Of course not.

macavity

Referee
OK, yes, he is a good fullback. But Stewart is still a much better fullback. Gidley's utility value however is vastly overrated.

stewart is faster. gidley is better.

i don't understand why the

1. gidley
2. stewart

combo is not unanimous. best of both worlds.

Joker's Wild

Coach
OK, yes, he is a good fullback. But Stewart is still a much better fullback.
Matter of opinion mate and in mine, Gidley has the better overall skill set at fullback.
Gidley's utility value however is vastly overrated.

Agree. Gidley's best asset, superior fitness, is rendered useless when he is played off the bench.

What a strange thing to say. So if the best 17 were all props, you'd be happy to have them all in the team? Do you think QLD will be playing Thurston, Prince, Lockyer and Cronk all in the same team? Of course not.

Of course you wouldnt play all props mate, stop playing dumb. You wouldnt leave out an outstanding player just because the guy in front of him plays the same position for his club.

Consider this, if the fullback spot was taken and you had the choice of playing Stewart or Wolfman on the wing who would you choose? Would you leave Stewart out of the team even though he is by far and away the better player? Do you really think he wouldn't play just as well on the wing? I think not

voltron

Juniors
the news is that they might put gidley at 5/8th
which is a shame for campese really

just had a thought
what difference would it make to the team if it was two refs instead of one?
would it make any difference?
because the forwards this year havent been making at much metres
most of the metres have been made by the backs
so would it make any difference?

Last edited:

abrichta

Juniors
Argh I really wish Bellamy wasn't coach, I think it's pretty clear that Stewart needs to be fullback, in that position he offers a lot more than Gidley ever will.

The problem is that Bellamy seems to be hung up on Gidley and will find a spot for him anywhere, this could be a detriment to the team. As much as I think Gidley is a star player, it doesn't really look like there is a spot for him, unless off the bench.