What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

icewind

Juniors
also with what you said icewind...is soward that different a player than Presto??

if you are looking for some speed and spark why not give Jamie the last 10 of each half?

he is no where near ready to lead an origin side around the park but he could fill that 17 jersey quite well if you ask me

good thought. Whatever combo they come up with, I think nsw would be well served by utilising an x-factor player on the bench. ala Craig Wing 2003 vintage.

isaiah

Bench
with the rep sides announced, will nsw now look like this:

gidley
lawrence
jennings
cooper
monaghan
campese
wallace
kite
ennis/farah
bailey
gallen
lafranchi
g.stewart

lewis
watmough
weyman
galloway

Halycon

Juniors
Even though thats not by a distance our best side, I'd take it. I'm too used to NSW selectors f**king things up.

adamkungl

Immortal
1 - Gidley
2 - Lawrence
3 - Jennings
4 - Cooper
5 - Hayne
6 - Mullen
7 - Pearce
8 - Weyman
9 - Ennis
10 - Bailey
11 - Laffranchi
12 - Creagh
13 - Sutton

14 - Lewis
15 - Kite
16 - Waterhouse
17 - Galloway

tiger_nick

Bench
i think farah will be in the side either starting or on the bench, however i think they'll only pick ennis if they want to start him. with luke lewis being 18th man for australia you would assume that means he will be in the nsw team, probably on the bench as the utility. giving farah the start imo

sando88

Not a Moderator
the selectors will pick lyon. no chance they will leave him out now that he had a 'turnaround of heart'.. why couldnt he just stick by his original opinion then everyone would be better off

isaiah

Bench
1 - Gidley
2 - Lawrence
3 - Jennings
4 - Cooper
5 - Hayne
6 - Mullen
7 - Pearce
8 - Weyman
9 - Ennis
10 - Bailey
11 - Laffranchi
12 - Creagh
13 - Sutton

14 - Lewis
15 - Kite
16 - Waterhouse
17 - Galloway

lol monaghan is the shadow player for aust if boyd is unfit
and pearce couldn't even make the city side, nobody who wasn't selected to play this friday will leapfrog anyone to make the state team

Harold Bishop

Juniors
1 - Gidley
2 - Monaghan
3 - Jennings
4 - Cooper
5 - Hayne
6 - Campese
7 - Mullen
8 - Weyman
9 - Farah
10 - Bailey
11 - Laffranchi
12 - Creagh
13 - Lewis

14 - Ennis
15 - Kite
16 - Waterhouse
17 - Galloway

Disco

Bench
01. Kurt Gidley
02. Joel Monaghan
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Matt Cooper
05. David Williams
06. Terry Campese
07. Peter Wallace
08. Luke Bailey
09. Robbie Farah
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Paul Gallen
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Luke Lewis
15. Micheal Weyman
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Keith Galloway

Sleep

Juniors
I think the selectors will go with (not necessarily what I'd like):

1. Gidley (C)
2. Hayne
3. Lyon
4. Cooper
5. Monaghan
6. Campese
7. Wallace/Mullen
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Gallen
13. Stewart

14. Weyman
15. Watmough/Waterhouse
16. No idea.
17. Lewis

I think whoever has the better game out of Wallace/Mullen on Friday gets the half spot. Waterhouse has been getting alot of good press lately but I'm still not sure he or Watmough gets picked. The other forward spot I have no idea.

Lyon will walk straight into the team now that he's said he wants to play. He's in good form and he's been there before. Cooper will walk straight in on reputation alone. Jennings will have to wait a little longer.

glockers

Juniors
I think the selectors will go with (not necessarily what I'd like):

1. Gidley (C)
2. Hayne
3. Lyon
4. Cooper
5. Monaghan
6. Campese
7. Wallace/Mullen
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Laffranchi
12. Gallen
13. Stewart

14. Weyman
15. Watmough/Waterhouse
16. No idea.
17. Lewis

I think whoever has the better game out of Wallace/Mullen on Friday gets the half spot. Waterhouse has been getting alot of good press lately but I'm still not sure he or Watmough gets picked. The other forward spot I have no idea.

Lyon will walk straight into the team now that he's said he wants to play. He's in good form and he's been there before. Cooper will walk straight in on reputation alone. Jennings will have to wait a little longer.

I agree selectors will probably go with this line up, with the 16 going to either Poore or Galloway I would think. I prefer Waterhouse, but I think Watmough will get the spot because he is favoured lately by rep selectors. I guess O'Donnell is also an outside chance.

I would like to see Williams, Jennings and Lawrence in the team - but realisitcally Cooper and Lyon are auto picks, we know that Monaghen and Hayne are in. Personally I would love to go youth and drop Lyon, Monaghan out of the team.

I would move Hayne to fullback, with Williams and Lawrence on the wings and Cooper and Jennings in the centre spots. But they won't do that.

Sleep

Juniors
I think Lawrence would of been fairly long odds anyway. It's clear now that NSW wanted Lyon all along. Cooper had a spot cemented and Jennings was third in line from everything the media and form has been showing.

I don't expect the wing pairing of Hayne and Monaghan to change. Lawrence on the wing would be silly. He's a centre. His time will come though. Jennings and himself will be the centre pairing in years to come. For now they'll both have to wait sadly.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I think Lawrence would of been fairly long odds anyway. It's clear now that NSW wanted Lyon all along. Cooper had a spot cemented and Jennings was third in line from everything the media and form has been showing.

I don't expect the wing pairing of Hayne and Monaghan to change. Lawrence on the wing would be silly. He's a centre. His time will come though. Jennings and himself will be the centre pairing in years to come. For now they'll both have to wait sadly.

Considering how well Josh Morris had been going prior to injury that might not be the case. Might also like to wait and see how Jamal Idris turns out after a year or two, especially after he plays next to a decent winger (other than Hazem).

Good competition for Centre spots in the coming years. That is just at the dogs. I am sure there are up and comers at other clubs too.

Last edited:

The Gambler

Juniors

Funnily enough, in the past people have said Lawrence should be playing on the wing, because he is not a centre. He started on the wing in his first handful of games for the Tigers, and did quite well.

Depending when Lawrence returns from injury, I would not be surprised to see Lawrence and Monaghan on the wings, with Cooper and Lyon (or Jennings) in the centres. It will be an absolute farce if Hayne is picked on the wing for SOR based on his form of the last two seasons.

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
Coach Craig Bellamy and NSW selectors are poised to drop an Origin bombshell by naming both Michael Ennis and Robbie Farah in the 17-man Blues squad to play Queensland.
If both hookers have strong games in City-Country tomorrow night in Orange, there is every chance both will be chosen – Ennis as the starting hooker and Farah off the bench.
I’ve spoken to both Bellamy and two selectors this morning to get the inside mail on the team selections.
Basically, there are only three certain selections – Kurt Gidley at fullback, Paul Gallen at lock and Brent Kite in the front-row.
City-Country, tomorrow night’s Test match in Brisbane and form in the next three weeks of club football will determine the other positions.

source: dailytelegraph.com.au

Sleep

Juniors
After tonights game, if it really was a trial you'd say:

Wallace is the halfback without any doubt. Thoroughly outplayed Mullen.

Campese gets the five-eight by default. Good first half.

Farah gets hooker. Ennis was quiet.

Jennings deserves a centre spot. Killed it. Lyon was good when he got the chance though.

Hayne and Monaghan would be wingers. Both had good games. McManus and Williams did too. Hayne and Monaghan were just better.

Miniciello was the best out of any forward. I don't know that any others really put there hand up aside Tongue.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Wallace is the halfback without any doubt. Thoroughly outplayed Mullen.

Campese gets the five-eight by default. Good first half.

Cant quite agree with you here champ. Wallace did outplay Mullo but I think he is our best option for 5/8. Campo had a pretty ordinary game in defence and came up with a couple of silly plays.

My team after last nights games:

1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Monaghan
6. Mullen
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Creagh
12. Gallen
13. O' Donell

14. Wing
15. Minichello
16. Weyman
17. Galloway

MacDougall

First Grade
Cant quite agree with you here champ. Wallace did outplay Mullo but I think he is our best option for 5/8. Campo had a pretty ordinary game in defence and came up with a couple of silly plays.

My team after last nights games:

1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Monaghan
6. Mullen
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Creagh
12. Gallen
13. O' Donell

14. Wing
15. Minichello
16. Weyman
17. Galloway

I know Minichiello played well but do you realise his clubmate Anthony Laffranchi played for Australia last night in a side that won equally as convincingly? Minichiello won't be selected at the expense of Laffranchi but he certainly wouldn't look out of place.

Anyway here's the team that will be selected. Cooper won't make it.

1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Monaghan
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Gallen
12. Laffranchi
13. Stewart

14. Luke Lewis
15. Luke O'Donnell
16. Michael Weyman
17. Keith Galloway (the only selection that mightn't eventuate imo)

I would definitely consider Ben Creagh and Mark Minichiello unfortunate to miss out in this team. The differences in this team and the one that I would actually have would be Stewart out, O'Donnell to start, Creagh to Bench.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I know Minichiello played well but do you realise his clubmate Anthony Laffranchi played for Australia last night in a side that won equally as convincingly? Minichiello won't be selected at the expense of Laffranchi but he certainly wouldn't look out of place.

Anyway here's the team that will be selected. Cooper won't make it.

1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Monaghan
6. Campese
7. Wallace
8. Bailey
9. Farah
10. Kite
11. Gallen
12. Laffranchi
13. Stewart

14. Luke Lewis
15. Luke O'Donnell
16. Michael Weyman
17. Keith Galloway (the only selection that mightn't eventuate imo)

I would definitely consider Ben Creagh and Mark Minichiello unfortunate to miss out in this team. The differences in this team and the one that I would actually have would be Stewart out, O'Donnell to start, Creagh to Bench.

Neither Laffranci nor Stewart impressed me last night when compared to Creagh and Mini2. They may not get picked but they are def the ones I would select.

Lewis being 18th man for Aust and missing out on any time in either game will have a massive effect on his chances of making the Blues side unfortunantly. He and Wing will fight out the 14 jersey IMO

Last edited:

Latest posts