What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW State Of Origin Team Game 1 2009

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Official now:

NSW has unveiled a fresh-new side to halt Queensland's three year State of Origin domination - but already there are dramas over the Blues' back-row.
Selectors have put a broom through the NSW ranks, with 14 players who turned out for the state in Origin I last year dropped from this year's side.
NSW will send out eight Origin debutants - James McManus, Michael Jennings, Glenn Stewart, Terry Campese, Robbie Farah, Ben Creagh, Michael Weyman and Justin Poore - in a team hell-bent on attacking the Maroons.
Glenn Stewart has been named at lock with Luke O'Donnell and Paul Gallen in the second-row - but Stewart and Gallen find themselves in doubt for the June 3 opener at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium.

NSW team for State of Origin I on June 3 in Melbourne:
Kurt Gidley (c), James McManus, Jamie Lyon, Michael Jennings, Jarryd Hayne, Terry Campese, Peter Wallace, Brent Kite, Robbie Farah, Luke Bailey, Paul Gallen, Luke O’Donnell, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Craig Wing, Justin Poore, Michael Weyman, Ben Creagh

Gallen though is in doubt for the game after having an MRI scan yesterday on a shoulder injury sustained playing for Cronulla against St George Illawarra last Saturday.
He has told Cronulla officials the bruising could settle after four days - or four weeks.
Stewart was yesterday charged with a grade one dangerous throw on Gold Coast five-eighth Mat Rogers during Sunday's match at Skilled Park.

He is facing a one match suspension - ruling him out of Origin I with Manly having the bye this weekend. Stewart must plead not guilty and fight the charge at an judiciary hearing tomorrow night to have any chance of playing.
He is expected to be represented by leading Sydney SC Geoff Bellew.
O'Donnell's inclusion meant the omission of Australian back-rower Anthony Laffranchi, who played for the Kangaroos against New Zealand just three weeks ago.

Last year's team for State of Origin I:
Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Greg Bird, Peter Wallace, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Ben Cross, Ryan Hoffman, Willie Mason, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Hornby.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25536504-5006066,00.html

hybrid_tiger

Coach
If the selectors were fair-dinkum, they wouldn't select players in teams coming last, 13th, 14th... the fact that there's no representation in the state side from the team running first (and not just recently first, we've been top for 4 weeks straight now) is pretty funny. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we're going to get off lightly over SOO but it shows the selectors still have NFI.

Well, who do you think out of your side should have made it? I can't pick anyone.

Ryan? Tried and failed. Plenty of better options in the backrow, particularly Creagh, Laffranchi etc.

Kimmorley? As above. Tried and failed.

Ennis? Not in the same class as Farah.

Idris? Definitely a future rep player, but not this season.

Morris? Was a chance, but injured.

There is nobody else.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
This was last years side in game one:

Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Greg Bird, Peter Wallace, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Ben Cross, Ryan Hoffman, Willie Mason, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Tupou, Craig Fitzgibbon, Ben Hornby.

I think most would agree that the side they've just named sh*ts all over this one from great heights.

Ladmate

Bench
This was last years side in game one:

I think most would agree that the side they've just named sh*ts all over this one from great heights.

Isnt that the team that beat QLD in game 1?

edabomb

First Grade
Why not? They certainly are underdogs but anything is possible.

There is plenty more points in this side (on paper at least) than previous teams over the past couple of years. Not being able to score points is the prime reason we lost last year.

I think NSW need to settle with a 1,6,7,9 combo and stick with it regardless if they win or lose the series. Gidley, Campese, Wallace and Farah (if this is the side) is a relatively young combination that should form the backbone of the NSW side over the next few years.

Yea I agree in a few years they could be a fair chance, but I think the Qland team will monster that side in Game 1.

Given they're playing in Melbourne, no. :lol:

Forgot about that stupid concept. Melbourne will probably only slightly be a Qland crowd.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mullen must have got the tip early, because he's playing like balls tonight so far. Looks like he's trying too hard. Needs to relax and let his game come naturally.

mxlegend99

Referee
Craig Wing says he's experienced.
Well then Craig Wing is a liar. Luke Lewis has played for NSW before. Probably at the same time as Craig Wing even.

Given your obsession with Farah, i would have though you would rather Lewis on the bench then Wing. Wing will likely come on at the expense of Farah. There's also a chance that they could decide to shuffle Farah back to the bench for the start of Game 1 since he's a rookie.

With Lewis he would have been on the bench strictly as a backrower unless he was needed elsewhere. Craig Wing is strictly there as a hooker unless needed at half/hooker. Anywhere else and it's some bigtime shuffling around.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Bloody hell. Luke Lewis has been named 18th man which I think means he has to be in camp for backup and I don't think he's available for us. That really annoys me!

Latest posts