What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team for Origin 3

Mr Saab

Referee
Yosh said:
mason to run wide at lockyer, and noone else,

finally, i would just like to say, if your listening to this joey, please come and help us.

Mason did run at him and Lockyer answered.

What happens in 2007-8-9...will you call on Joey to save you then also?

Yosh

Coach
Mr Saab said:

well, comeon man we have finch and anasta playing. surely the whole of NSW, the rugby league state, has more to offer then the rooters combo. surely!

cant wait till jarrod mullen comes into origin. there is a quality no.6. might take 2 or 3 years but he will replace the johns factor in origin.

dont know what others think but i reckon anasta is alot worse finch. finch threw some shockers in game 2 but anasta... speechless at his s**tness.

Mr Saab

Referee
No arguments there, finch and anasta are the blind leading the blind.

QLDs "version" of Johns was Langer. He retired in 2002 (finally) and in 2003 QLD had the halves combo of Ikin and Berrgian!
QLD didnt run back to Langer and ask him back...they moved on and history shows QLD lost 3 series in a row.
NSW have alot of halves to choose from...what QLD have you could count on your left hand.
NSW brag they are sooo dominant, and they have been the past 3 yrs especially, but it is time to move on.....there could be some tough times, but you cant win all the time.
QLD in the 1980s won 8 of the 10 yrs...after that they have won a total of 4 series and drew 2.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mr Saab said:

what about langer in 2001/2 cant really bag us for wanting joey back:)

icewind

Juniors
you had fittler in 04, johns came back in 05, what more do you want? oh wait a min... i think sticky stuart might have his hand up there.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
icewind said:
you had fittler in 04, johns came back in 05, what more do you want? oh wait a min... i think sticky stuart might have his hand up there.
but we should get special dispensation for the fact that our halves finch and anasta are geniused morons :crazy: finch and anasta come on have a heart.worst halves ever:crazy:

Whats Doing

Bench
If NSW selectors show a bit of vision, I would go for Lyons at 5/8. There is just nothing in NSW at the moment in this position. Otherwise Hornby

icewind

Juniors
Isn't Lyons still playin ESL til the end of the year? i mean for sure pick him but there would be no more complaining about the 01 series with Langer.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Can't see them changing the centres really. There was no problem in there in game 1. Matt Head HAS to come under consideration. Five eight is a tough one. Selectors could take a risk and play Preston Campbell there, or they could play Hornby there. Either way I can't see Finch or Anasta being there!

redVgirl

Juniors
i feel a bit sorry for them but yeh, they are chronic underachievers. despite the goal kicking and the try set up, matty head looked a bit rusty tonight....is he really ready for origin??

lockyno1

Post Whore
redVgirl said:
i feel a bit sorry for them but yeh, they are chronic underachievers. despite the goal kicking and the try set up, matty head looked a bit rusty tonight....is he really ready for origin??

Other options are:

Finch...we know how that panned out!
Orford- choker at rep level
Gower- hasn't done much before for NSW
Kimmorley- same as gower, never stood out for NSW

Head is a punt but it may be worth it.

redVgirl

Juniors
hahah poor finchy...what a one hit wonder.

well yeh of course i would be happy if head got a start but i think they will go with gower. meh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I think they will go gower but I'd be more concerned, as a Qlder, which I am with Matt Head at no7!

Yosh

Coach
how about going with head and cambell. its a bit of a gamble, but we all saw that anasta and finch are pure crapness. i think its worth the gamble...

head wasnt on fire tonight, but gould was mentioning that head didnt have his execution top notch mode, but he lead the team around. isnt this what the NSW team needs? gould also said during the 2nd origin match that all three of the rooters terrible trio wernt the smartest players on the pitch, thats why we needed bedsy back out there. so if we get head into the game who is quiet footy smart, and a natural leader by the look of it, we should get more direction into our game.

preston, this guys is small and can get targeted on defence. however he is like 1000 times better than anasta at anything. anasta thinks he can pass, preston is better, anaster thinks he can kick preston is better, anasta thinks he has a good step and running game, preston is a 100000 times better. he also offers more spark then the rooters terrible trio have offered in the last two years, so i dont see whats so wrong with putting him on. put him next to coops who is an excellent defender.

however saying all this i know it is very risky putting two rookie (at rep level) havles into a decider, but putting the rooters terrible trio in just insures a qld victory.

however i hope your listening mr joey, we need you.

Yosh

Coach
just forgot to add, if joey does play preston can play between joey and cooper. when joey came back to play for newie after injury he played one in from carmont. and from then on carmont started to play something we call 'defence' in the NRL.

if joey can make carmont into a decent defencive player, im sure he can make preston into one to.

redVgirl

Juniors
yeh head is good at bossin round the troops thats for sure. we definitely miss that in the blues without joey.

hahah man... if head gets selected i bet he will pass out from shock. and then i will too.

glockers

Juniors
i can see the argument for an Orford/Hill combo and I also concede Head is a good player but I reckon the Preston Campbell and Craug Gower combo would be perfect. They play each week together and Gower is an experienced organiser.

Campbell adds a Thurston/Benji like creativity which is needed.

Secondly Hodgson can play as a second five eight, in fact Campbell can play fullback. This means the two players can switch from play making to support play, it adds alot to the NSW game in creativity and options.

Waht I casn't believe is how softly some people are treating the forwards. They werewoeful and dominated. One or two changes isn't enough.

Waterhouse is in great form this year, Laffranchi and Gallen have deserved call ups for quite a while and O Donnell should return. I'd also take Farah over Wing.

Mind you our props have been horrible and I am tempted to call for Luke Douglas. A young big prop in form is needed. it is a gamble though.

1. Hodgson
2. King
3. Gasnier
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Campbell
7. Gower
13. Gallen
12. O'Donnell
11. Hindmarsh
10. Mason
9. Buderus
8. Bailey

14. Farah
15. Laffranchi
16. Douglas
17. Waterhouse or Menzies

MrSharky

Juniors
1. Minichiello - Roosters (if not fit: Stewart - Sea Eagles)
2. King - Storm
3. Gasnier - Dragons
4. Tahu - Eels
5. Grothe - Eels
6. Dykes - Sharks
7. Hornby - Dragons
8. Bailey - Dragons
9. Buderus - Knights
10. Mason - Bulldogs
11. Thompson - Sharks
12. Hindmarsh - Eels
13. Gallen - Sharks

14. O'Donnell - Cowboys
15. Douglas - Sharks
16. Menzies - Sea Eagles
17. Gower - Panthers

Out: Dead wood (O'Meley, Finch, Anasta, Wing etc.), Interchange Hooker (Buderus -> 80 mins), Hodgson (Hornby -> GK)

In: Dykes (will be fit next week v Knights), Thompson, Gallen, Douglas (Dynamite trio from NSW's current no.1 side), Gower (Cover for halves and hooker in case of Injury ONLY, in case of backline injury: Hornby -> Backline, Gower -> Half)

It may be biased but you know it makes sense. ;-)

icon6.gif

Kangaroo2

Juniors
I think Hornby will be selected somewhere in the NSW team. During the Dragons vs. Broncos telecast, commentator Ray Warren stated that he spoke to a NSW selector and Hornby's name was mentioned several times when discussing changes to the team.

Hornby was also given 2 Dally M points from that game by Laurie Daley, who is of course a NSW selector.

The question is, what position will he play? Fullback, halfback, five-eighth or utility from the bench.