What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations on Supporters

simon says

First Grade
I dont understand this bandwagon thing.....we have always had a good following.And this is the first year that we have gone really well.Every team has better crowds when they are going well.

All the posters and Tigers fans I know have been going for years and doing it tough.

Bandwagon????

Raider_69

Post Whore
IMO there is a higher percentage of tigers bandwagons then any other recent premiers. Well in Penrith anyways, rarely saw a single tiger fan out here before the GF, now every man and his dog is walking around with jerseys and tigers stickers on their cars etc... its pathetic, fickle penrith locals. Its nearly as bad as when Penrith won the comp

simon says

First Grade
I cant blame the people of Penrith wanting to supoprt a decent,upwardly mobile team,sounds quite smart to me.

sunny

The Roosters had the most bandwagon fans. The Tigers, there was a bandwagon element but there is also a lot of people coming out of the woodwork too, maybe old Balmain and Wests fans.

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
I cant blame the people of Penrith wanting to supoprt a decent,upwardly mobile team,sounds quite smart to me.

:lol: true, but you stuck through the tigers when they were sh*t, im here still follow canberra while we blow chucks... just seems the penrith league public in general lack alittle back bone

Sunny, i consider these people coming out of the woodwork to be a variety of bandwagoner's... if you dont have enough back bone to show your support during the hard times, you dont deserve the good times IMO

sunny

fair enough i suppose.

Souths, and if and when they ever get good, will have the biggest bandwagon ever.

Raider_69

Post Whore
sunny said:
Souths, and if and when they ever get good, will have the biggest bandwagon ever.

my oath they would be, imagine the crys at the game "i remember marching for our reinstatement" what they'd casually leave off is "but then i didnt attend another game untill this night"

sunny

Watch out if they're crap this year with those home games at Telstra Stadium. You'll be able to hear the echo of the ball being kicked during day games and hear crickets farting at night matches.

NikkiShark

Juniors
brook said:
I've always found it was the tigers, parramatta and souths that have the really huge central coast supporter bases - could just be the people I know though

I'm from the Central Coast..
and don't support either of those three teams.

I know a few Rabbitohs supporters,
about 7 roosters supporters, and about 12 bulldogs supporters on the Central Coast.

don't know any eels supporters on the CC.

brook

First Grade
NikkiShark said:
I'm from the Central Coast..
and don't support either of those three teams.

I know a few Rabbitohs supporters,
about 7 roosters supporters, and about 12 bulldogs supporters on the Central Coast.

don't know any eels supporters on the CC.

lol I know more parra supporters that live on the central coast than I do in parra - and I used to live in parra

I guess we obviously know different people ;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Sunny, i consider these people coming out of the woodwork to be a variety of bandwagoner's... if you dont have enough back bone to show your support during the hard times, you dont deserve the good times IMO

Jusat what I was going to say

although the technical term for those fans are fairweather fans

sunny

I think you have to relaise though that a lot of people got turned off rugby league altogether after the Super League thing, especially people like Wests Tigers fans, and this was their way, I think Balmain and Magpies fans in particular, of getting back into rugby league.

Misty Bee

First Grade
From my experience the most widely supported (geograpghically) teams are Saints, Parra and the Dogs, with Manly and Rooster fans suddenly emerging during winning times.

Manly fans usually admit to being Manly fans just to cause arguments with someone. A Manly fan who remembers Tom Mooney is a rare person.

People who would get married at their local football stadium, or who would wear a replica jumper they knitted would usually be Souths fans. People without dentures are usually Souths fans.

Penrith fans have absolutely no allegience to any former club identities.

Tigers fans usually celebrate hard when Parra lose for some reason.

Plenty of Shire residents are Saints supporters. Seems an unwritten law exists that a Saints/Cronulla fan can't ever have a feeling of interest toward both clubs. Saints fans that I know, oddly, have problems understanding other clubs rivalries.

Souths fans love to buy bumper stickers.

Broncos supporters have funny nativity scenes at Christmas. In the manger sits a very small Wayne Bennet, at whose every curt grumble they worship. If they don't win, it's the ref's fault, and if the ref is above reproach, they blame someone in Sydney.

Warriors fans say 'bro' a lot.

Cowboys fans see an urgent need to buy a stupid hat with every jersey. They also don't know how to be verbal after a win.

Manly fans can carry an argument.

Cronulla fans are similar to Manly fans, except they usually do so with a fake westie accent. I've never seen a Cronulla fan sucessfully bait a Manly fan.

Norths fans were intense, but always respected the opposition.

Penrith jumpers are more popular at Centerlink.

A lot of disabled people support Parramatta.

Bronco fans automatically hate anything to do with ARL, Newcastle or Sydney.

Bernster

Juniors
It really irritates me when bandwagoners only support teams when they are winning...I have been a Cowboys supporter since inception and have stuck by the boys through thick and thin...I believe that is what being a supporter is all about...not dumping your team when they turn to sh!t...

brook

First Grade
brook said:
It is true :p

actually this is probably the most one sided rivalry in Rugby League - most parra fans I know have nothing against the tigers but a fair proportion (usually the balmain side) of wests supporters absolutely hate Parra.

greeneyed

First Grade
aids said:
* raiders fans don't live in canberra

This is a lot of rubbish.

Raider_69 said:
- f**k all raiders fans in canberra in comparison to other teams home town, we often joke the canberra public buy all other 14 jerseys and just throw on which ever canberra are playing against

So is this.

To believe that there are more Raiders fans in Sydney than Canberra is simply delusional. Given that there might be say, two dozen Sydney Raiders fans that come down to Canberra Stadium for home games (and I admire their dedication and passion for the team), where do you guys reckon the other 10-15,000 Raiders fans at the home games come from?

Parra Guru

Coach
The best home supporters are Penrith IMO and I thought the Parra v Saints game at Kogarah last season had a pretty friendly atmosphere.

The worst.... Newcastle and Manly (mind you, I will never go to a dogs home game)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Hmmm PG, i dont know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing that we're the worst "home supporters" or not...................... What makes u hav th opinion we're the worst "home crowd"? Is it cos we're so freaking passionate-borderline obsessive??